What creative solutions to game difficulty could be added other than the archaic HP/DMG modifiers?

+
There are plenty of ways to RPG combat fun in first person without turning it into a full blown FPS every time combat ensues.
But most of them are annoying and can be enjoyed only if you're can endure discomfort for the sake of RPG mechanics. Just saying.

But most of them are annoying and can be enjoyed only if you're can endure discomfort for the sake of RPG mechanics. Just saying.

I can't argue your taste. Perhaps not playing RPG's would be an answer to that if the enjoyment can not be achieved with them; if the only way to find the enjoyment is to strip the RPG mechanics away. I don't play games I find annoying or boring either. That goes for CP2077 too if it turns out that way.

Perhaps not playing RPG's would be an answer to that if the enjoyment can not be achieved with them
Miss. I just consider weapon sway and "you miss" system as annoying for average player. Because it's the way to frustration "I aim directly to the enemy why my bullets doesn't hit it" and "Why am i missed, i was in front of enemy". And in my opinion this annoying things can be accepted as game's feature if you are really enjoy RPGs. Example: TES Morrowind, dunno how many players was enjoy by it's combat system.

Example: TES Morrowind, dunno how many players was enjoy by it's combat system.

Morrowind's only real problem was that it didn't give any visual feedback for a miss, not a simplest form of enemy leaning back or to the side nor the blade or the arrow swinging/flying by side of the enemy or bouncing back from it (aside from block).

That is something that'd be easily corrected if there was the will to do so.

It's the same with guns. It's very easy to provide a miss at a range (there doesn't need to be feedback at all besides something being hit behind and by the side of the enemy). The gameplay systems can provide that very plausibly by adjusting the hit chances by the range. You can miss at point blank range too. Very much so. But the reason you miss has to be shown somehow. Perhaps the enemy moves just as you pull the trigger, perhaps your lack of expertise causes the whole attack to fail or maybe the gun jams, perhaps the enemy shoves your gun aside as you try to put the barrel to his mouth instead of grinning like an angry down syndrome dog and eating the bullets like in Bethesda Fallouts.

There are plenty of ways to create interesting gameplay that isn't an FPS. Those ways just have to be offered to people because these days it's a default expectation that every game works the same, and most of the audience don't think beyond the last game they played and enjoyed. And when they do, they jump back in history to point out how awkward and ugly something that was made before they were even born was back then without giving a single thought on by what means could it possibly work today if given a chance (other than... FPS because that's what everything else is).

That's why i wrote about MOST of them, because really what we got already is clanky bulky things like in Morrowind and nobody makes something new or trying to improve systems that already exist. That's why we invent our mechanics here on forums.

Well, if comfort has the upper hand then there is no RPG anymore.
Bad conscequence? Gone because of comfort.
Being unable to do something because of your chosen build? Gone because of comfort.
And so on.
Post automatically merged:

Miss. I just consider weapon sway and "you miss" system as annoying for average player. Because it's the way to frustration "I aim directly to the enemy why my bullets doesn't hit it"

For the same reason I cannot hit my target with a gun IRL: Because I'm not good with it?
While at the same time I have no problem with a rifle.
That's what skills are for.

You can easily tweak AI based on chosen difficulty level. Unfortunately not many games do that.
What I really hate regarding higher difficulty levels is immunity.
There are many games where stronger enemies are immune to almost all status effects. So many skills get useless.
I hated that in Dragon Age games. It destroyed battles completely. Mobs are still weak on higher difficulty but elite enemies are immune. Skills, even complete skill trees got useless.

Top Bottom