What other franchise should CDPR take over?

+
kofeiiniturpa;n9530091 said:
Two (GM+1) is enough. If you have the will and imagination for it, you can run a scenarion on your own too. (Never heard of anyone doing that, but I don't see why it couldn't work.)

From my experience with PnP games(Cyberpunk and D&D), I'd say 3 players is a better minimum with 5 players being a recommended amount, while 6 and up made games drag on to long especially if you have a rules lawyer in your group.

kofeiiniturpa;n9530091 said:
Well, I don't even know where to start anymore after the Worms example so I'll just leave it at that. (No, it genuinely caught me off guard that you'd bring Worms here as an example of with/without magic.)

I disagree, though. On just about all of it. :D
And your stance seems such that I'm not sure I can really put a foot between the door and the doorframe over much of it. You don't care for TB, or at least you see it as repetitive and boring. That's fine. I don't, obviously.

Okay, putting this as simply as possible, some turn based combat is interesting, because you have a wide variety of tactical options between turns.
In Worms, it is a sh*tload of differing weapons.
WIth magic, it's a wide range of spells with different effects.

In Fallout 2, it's limited to 5 options: shoot head, shoot arm, shoot leg, shoot cock. In Worms, there's 60 different things to select during a turn between the Utility and F11 menu.

Is turn-based repetitive and boring? Depends on the game. I think that Worms played with people side-by-side is amazing.
Regarding open-world-action-rpgs though, I think that real-time-with-pause is the best of both worlds. I don't really think it's all the common either, compared to the number of pure action games.

NukeTheMoon;n9531231 said:
Okay, putting this as simply as possible

I understood you (and disagreed) well enough, that's not a problem. But I took note that the angle you are looking at this comes from quite a different drection than mine, and I don't know how fruitful it would be to start arguing it. I mean your worms example already likens "shitload of weapons" to magic, as if a game like Fallout 2 couldn't have a shitload of different weapons for different purposes like... Worms.

You cling on to Fallout 2 as an example of how things can go (and apparently can ever go) in single character non magic games. That's a box you need to get out of because it seemingly hides every way of improving things. Movement and cover options, environmental interaction, different status effects to utilize, different dmaage types and resistances and locational armor; whilst the lacking the tactical depth in character positioning and different class roles (or what ever) can be offset with faster paced combat situations across the board and different class roles providing their own ways of handling what ever standoff is at hand in subsequent playthroughs (and AI guided companions shuffling the deck every time). There can well be a ton of weapons to use melee, hand to hand,, single shot, burst, long and short range variants, AP and HP ammunitions, AOE weapons long and short range, high and lower powered, gas, smoke, electricity, laser, plasma, pressure, bio, etc, that you can haul with you. There's mounted weapons that can't be moved, vehicular combat, vehicle vs on foot; there can be stealth approach to combat (infiltrating, sniping...), there can actions that take 2 or more turn to accomplish, playing with action point economy by conserving them to following turns or to translate into armor class like Fallout 2 does, and so on.

And you don't need magic for that, not in any manner. Not even Worms magic. And it need not revolve around "aim, shoot target appendix, end turn"; the end result of every combat is harming the enemy somewhow, but there are plenty of way to achieve that.

If you need magic in your TB combat, that's your preference, there are very good games with it, but it doesn't prevent tactical depth from single character system that are more grounded in reality. Combat in Fallout and Fallout 2 is most defiitely not the height of TB design in those sort of games.

NukeTheMoon;n9531231 said:
Regarding open-world-action-rpgs though, I think that real-time-with-pause is the best of both worlds.

It's better than twitchy shooter combat (a lot better), but it's not really "best" of both worlds. It relies too much on automation, and observing and controlling the flow instead of the actions themselves.

walkingdarkly;n9531091 said:
From my experience with PnP games(Cyberpunk and D&D), I'd say 3 players is a better minimum with 5 players being a recommended amount, while 6 and up made games drag on to long especially if you have a rules lawyer in your group.

I think 3 or 4 is the sweet spot. And things can still get crowded. I've had - when I was still playing PnP games - great one-on-one games. They tend to be shorter, but that's ok, we had fun and that's what mattered.

We also had sessions where people were scattered around the world and every player was a GM to the player to his left. That was interesting, especially when the characters paths started closing in on each other.

Last edited:
NukeTheMoon;n9529971 said:
I wonder how many players the PnP requires, a GM and one player, or more than that.
Or how many players in needs to be fun.

I'd imagine if you have a "crew" in 77 they'd be to fulfill roles that would be filled in the 2020 PnP by fellow players.
You can play 1-on-1, look at the current PBEM campaign I'm running here.
Obviously it would be better with more people but there's also a limit of about 8 people max, because more then that it gets very difficult to keep everyone occupied. I once had 15 in my RL PnP game, doable, but not at all easy. I've found that 4-6 works best, with 4 being about optimal.

kofeiiniturpa;n9531561 said:
I understood you (and disagreed) well enough, that's not a problem. But I took note that the angle you are looking at this comes from quite a different drection than mine, and I don't know how fruitful it would be to start arguing it. I mean your worms example already likens "shitload of weapons" to magic, as if a game like Fallout 2 couldn't have a shitload of different weapons for different purposes like... Worms. You cling on to Fallout 2 as an example of how things can go (and apparently can ever go) in single character non magic games. That's a box you need to get out of because it seemingly hides every way of improving things. Movement and cover options, environmental interaction, different status effects to utilize, different dmaage types and resistances and locational armor; whilst the lacking the tactical depth in character positioning and different class roles (or what ever) can be offset with faster paced combat situations across the board and different class roles providing their own ways of handling what ever standoff is at hand in subsequent playthroughs (and AI guided companions shuffling the deck every time). There can well be a ton of weapons to use melee, hand to hand,, single shot, burst, long and short range variants, AP and HP ammunitions, AOE weapons long and short range, high and lower powered, gas, smoke, electricity, laser, plasma, pressure, bio, etc, that you can haul with you. There's mounted weapons that can't be moved, vehicular combat, vehicle vs on foot; there can be stealth approach to combat (infiltrating, sniping...), there can actions that take 2 or more turn to accomplish, playing with action point economy by conserving them to following turns or to translate into armor class like Fallout 2 does, and so on. And you don't need magic for that, not in any manner. Not even Worms magic. And need not revolve around "aim, shoot target appendix, end turn". If you need magic in your TB combat, that's your preference, there are very good games with it, but it doesn't prevent tactical depth from single character system that are more grounded in reality. Combat in Fallout and Fallout 2 is most defiitely not the height of TB design in those sort of games.

It's better than twitchy shooter combat (a lot better), but it's not really "best" of both worlds. It relies too much on automation, and observing and controlling the flow instead of the actions themselves.

If I'm in a box, it's because it's the best fitting reference I have at the moment, for turn based, single character, isometeric, high tech, low life, story based RPG.

Could our character(s), in Worms style, select one of many weapons, pull it out, use it, and put it away again, all in a single turn? I suppose. Kindof game-y but hey whatever works. I wish some games had actually done that.

I don't know the mechanics of 2020, but I'm assuming characters don't use weapons functionally the way Worms do.

The answer is quite simple. Everything.

Every game franchise including mass effect, fallout, elder scroll, etc have gone down the drain. Every game developer wants to take your precious money from you and give you half ass watered down version of their franchise. What made previous franchises great is not so great anymore. It's profit over passion, plain and simple. CDPR is the only company that's willing to take risks and try new things and be creative with their games and franchises.

mcflurry928;n9532471 said:
The answer is quite simple. Everything.

Every game franchise including mass effect, fallout, elder scroll, etc have gone down the drain. Every game developer wants to take your precious money from you and give you half ass watered down version of their franchise. What made previous franchises great is not so great anymore. It's profit over passion, plain and simple. CDPR is the only company that's willing to take risks and try new things and be creative with their games and franchises.

In the bad current state of the gaming industry, where everything is "profit over passion" as you described, isn't having passion one great strategy for CDPR? Passion certainly makes them stand out economically, even if its a hard thing to do.

Might be that unlike most developers these days they're not at the mercy of a separate publisher. And in the case of those few that do their own publishing, the publishing side of the house doesn't dictate what the development side can/can't do.

mcflurry928;n9532471 said:

I don't completely buy the notion that CDPR is "only one taking risks and trying new things", I haven't seent that. Their games have went more and more towards the mainstream one after another just like the others you mentioned, some things they do better than them and some things worse. I do hope they're willing to push the envelope a bit more towards something else with Cyberpunk, though, there is calling for a better middleground or adjustability for the RPG experience.

Top Bottom