What Would Geralt Do?

+
What Would Geralt Do?

What choices do you think Geralt from the books would have made in the Witcher 2, had the plot of the games instead played out in the book series?

Scaeva said:
What choices do you think Geralt from the books would have made in the Witcher 2, had the plot of the games instead played out in the book series?

Geralt mostly tries to handle conflicts by argumentation ... keeping his neutrality... if he has no chance he uses violence ... but if his friends are concerned he walks over corpses ... I think he would have saved triss no doubt(not going for revenge and help killing dethmold)... so he also would have sided with iorveth.... in my movie version iorveth path I think I walked geralts path just fine^^... at least I inteded to walk it...

dragonbird said:
I think that he'd have told Roche to get lost, in the Prologue.
It would be a very short story.

yes that he would.... but he would not attempt to attack roche with handcuffs and ves in the other room... :-D...

Well, Geralt didn't like squirrels too much. He sure wasn't too fond of fighting them, but even less helping them. Also I doubt that he would fight on the walls of Vergen defending some free state. That's why I think he would have chosen Roche (if he decided to choose at all), just to solve his personal problems (clear his name), and siding with squirrels was as far from being cleared off all charges as it could possibly be (Iorveth was one of the conspirators in Foltest's assassination, after all). Siding with Iorveth would only have strengthened accusations against Geralt. So would he had preferred freedom fighting, with no personal stake in it, to dealing with his personal problems? No.

dragonbird said:
I think that he'd have told Roche to get lost, in the Prologue.
It would be a very short story.
Maybe he wouldn't get in prison firstly.. ;)

Figting in regullar army is definitelly not his style. Maybe with Nilfgaard, but not because of some misunderstanding between lovers.

But whatever..
1) He would protect his friends - Marigold, Triss, Zoltan,..
2) He would search for Yennefer - that would be main priority for him
(I know he got amnesia, but he would be probably curios, what happened and he would be worried about his love - even just fom stories told by his friends)
3) He would join battle in the case of threat for him or his friends

But Witcher 2 changed a lot (maybe sometimes too much) - Zoltan also wasn't with Scoia'tael and his friend Yarpen didn't like them either. Geralt definitelly wouldn't kill dragon, especially if that would be just controlled innocent girl, especially daughter of Borch.. Philippa would always have always backup plans and Sabrina would definitelly fight for her life ;) ..

He would leave Foltest's side sooner.
Or he would just use Roche to get out of prison and then dump him in the first opportunity he gets.

Yeah, I would probably agree with sfinx here. TW2 was probably better written than TW1 (TW1 often directly copied the books), but TW2 Geralt was somewhat less lore-friendly. He wouldn't have fought as a soldier for Foltest, and I still think it unlikely that he would have chosen either Iorveth or Roche at the end of Chapter 1 - he would have tried to do things by himself, even if that wasn't practically possible. (In the books he wants to rescue Ciri all by himself too, even though that means passing right through the war's front lines...).

And then there's some characters, both in TW1 and TW2, that would never support the Scoia'tael, but became Scoia'tael for plot reasons anyway. But CDPR is not Sapkowski so some deviation from the books is to be expected and not necessarily a bad thing, either.

The OP asked what choices Geralt would make from the game choices.

Given his dislike of the Scoia'Tael in the books he would side with Roche. He would make no deals with Loredo and instead tell him to fuck off. He would convince Roche to spare Henselt and would then save Triss while sparing the Dragon and Letho.

Geralt from the books made wouldn't forget the the blackmail to which Roche submits him from the beginning, Geralt hates the torturers.
He had wheedled information sentative of Iorveth / Roche about how quickly reach Letho-> Triss, even paying peage.
Geralt had followed the directions of Dandelion (and his sources of information) and Zoltan (who actually never have joined the Scoia'taels).

Geralt of books does not hate anyone except Cahir, incarnation, for him, of the worst of Nilfgaard (he changes his opinion about Cahir, but not about invading Empire). Consider the sorceresses, as Philippa, one estripe worse than Scoia'taels themselves (he is aware of how they became what they are and because on who), because at least he can challenge them face to face, sword against sword, while the sorceresses work-based hidden manipulations.

The other kings and kingdoms are the lesser evils of their society.

I agree with previous paragraph.
Wichat said:
Geralt of books does not hate anyone except Cahir, incarnation, for him, of the worst of Nilfgaard (he changes his opinion about Cahir, but not about invading Empire). Consider the sorceresses, as Philippa, one estripe worse than Scoia'taels themselves (he is aware of how they became what they are and because on who), because at least he can challenge them face to face, sword against sword, while the sorceresses work-based hidden manipulations.
But why do you think so abou this? I just know he hates spying :) but as I remember, he never had any serious problems with sorceresses..
Few reasons and examples:

1) He felt in love with sorceresses imediatelly in the first book, he had to know about them and he already had to have some opinion on them, I know Yen is strong personality, but big part of this personality is that sorceress part and even when he could dislike them (because of his mother), he chose her.
2) He asked two sorceresses for help, if he hates them he is hypocrite :)
3) His first dispute with sorceresses (with Philippa) was quite fierce, but even that haven't changed anything, his next meeting with her was quite friendly. Maybe he finally stopped being naive guy with own goals and started understood (not like or accept) higher goals.
BTW: Her behavior to him was pretty decent, she cared about his life, she didn't kill him and she gave him promise, even when she didn't have to
4) As I said, he went to Thanedd party and he probably wasn't in conflict with mages. After Thanedd events, he could be dead, but first time Philippa spared him (again) and than one sorceress saved his life, and I almost forgot - Philippa kept her promise. He also helped one wounded sorceress.
5) He was obstackle in the way of sorceresses to Ciri, but they didn't choose to kill him, they just tried to slow him down. Again - gentle methods and respect, he doesn't see that often. But when he was between them and their goal, they had to do something with that, they couldn't just change their mind for his beautiful eyes.
6) Fringilla Vigo - he is really hypocrite or he trully doesn't hate them ;) ..

For this, I'm rather glad that I hadn't read or really learned about any of the Witcher books before playing both games - a major part of the fun for me is shaping Geralt's morality, rather than conforming to neutrality. But it would be cool to see someone who's experienced with the novels put together a "Book Geralt" choice scheme, with arguments for each choice. Here's my guess - is this accurate?

Geralt, Canonical Witcher

SPARE ARYAN
HELP ROCHE
CHOOSE ROCHE
SPARE HENSELT
SAVE TRISS
SAVE SILE
SPARE DRAGON
SPARE LETHO

Geralt from the books made wouldn't forget the the blackmail to which Roche submits him from the beginning, Geralt hates the torturers.

Which is why he wouldn't help Roche with Anais and instead save Triss. Whatever issues he might have against Roche they don't compare to the truckloads of issues he would have against Iorveth.

Geralt would pick the most neutral political path while trying to save Triss. He would not go with Iorveth since that would mean fighting side by side with Saskia.

Medy89 said:
yes that he would.... but he would not attempt to attack roche with handcuffs and ves in the other room... :-D...

Geralt wouldn't act like a witcher in that sequence.
he could have burned his handcuffs with Igni,
pretty much like the way he does in act 3.
besides, a witcher is much faster for someone like Ves or Roche and the two of them wouldn't have a chance against him.
same situation also happens on act 2 (Iorveth path) in the nilfgaardian camp

Medy89 said:
Geralt would pick the most neutral political path while trying to save Triss. He would not go with Iorveth since that would mean fighting side by side with Saskia.

Good point

I think Geralt would save Anais. First, that she was in such a bad situation was his fault - he failed as her father's bodyguard. Second, he has a weakness for children, and wouldn't abandon the little girl in the hands of rapist Henselt if he is still alive (guess what this guy would do to get Temeria), and uncle Dethmold. Triss is a 50+-year old sorceress, a member of the Lodge, who should be perfectly capable to take care of herself. But to let Anais to (possibly) die as her brother died already? No.

By the way, Triss as a damsel in distress is a shame to all the sorceresses. She should be strong, and not the one constantly in need of saving. Probably that's why I definitely prefer Philippa, who is quite all right even blind, and takes care of herself just fine.

vivaxardas said:
I think Geralt would save Anais. First, that she was in such a bad situation was his fault - he failed as her father's bodyguard. Second, he has a weakness for children, and wouldn't abandon the little girl in the hands of rapist Henselt if he is still alive (guess what this guy would do to get Temeria), and uncle Dethmold. Triss is a 50+-year old sorceress, a member of the Lodge, who should be perfectly capable to take care of herself. But to let Anais to (possibly) die as her brother died already? No.

Good point.

CostinMoroianu said:

Except that Geralt doesn't know about Saskia until after making the choice between Iorveth and Roche. All he knows is that choosing Iorveth means fighting Flotsam, but gets him to Vergen where he knows Triss has been teleported to. Roche on the other hand does not want to go straight after Triss and STILL gets Geralt fighting Flotsam's soldiers (by going after Loredo).

It's really about choosing the lesser evil again, and I think that lacking a third choice you could make arguments for both. Siding with Iorveth is not about siding with the Scoia'tael or Saskia but about going after Triss directly, even if that means doing some morally questionable things (capturing the barge). If you side with Roche you are prepared to have Triss wait longer and you still get involved in politics, just not as badly as you would with Iorveth.

Depending on whether he lets Iorveth get captured or not, he may or may not know that Iorveth intends to fight for Saskia. Iorveth tells him what his purpose is, but if Iorveth is captured, Zoltan does not.

My Geralt is uneasy about giving Iorveth his sword, which would make him look like a Scoia'tael collaborator in front of the trigger-happy Blue Stripes arbalesters. Doing so makes his choice not between following Roche and following Iorveth, but between Roche and Zoltan.

Now his choice is between Roche, who is showing signs of exceeding his authority in Flotsam and going ballistic, and Zoltan, who wants to make tracks for Vergen. It's a very different choice.

sfinxCZ said:
I agree with previous paragraph.But why do you think so abou this? I just know he hates spying :)/> but as I remember, he never had any serious problems with sorceresses..
Few reasons and examples:

1) He felt in love with sorceresses imediatelly in the first book, he had to know about them and he already had to have some opinion on them, I know Yen is strong personality, but big part of this personality is that sorceress part and even when he could dislike them (because of his mother), he chose her.
2) He asked two sorceresses for help, if he hates them he is hypocrite :)/>
3) His first dispute with sorceresses (with Philippa) was quite fierce, but even that haven't changed anything, his next meeting with her was quite friendly. Maybe he finally stopped being naive guy with own goals and started understood (not like or accept) higher goals.
BTW: Her behavior to him was pretty decent, she cared about his life, she didn't kill him and she gave him promise, even when she didn't have to
4) As I said, he went to Thanedd party and he probably wasn't in conflict with mages. After Thanedd events, he could be dead, but first time Philippa spared him (again) and than one sorceress saved his life, and I almost forgot - Philippa kept her promise. He also helped one wounded sorceress.
5) He was obstackle in the way of sorceresses to Ciri, but they didn't choose to kill him, they just tried to slow him down. Again - gentle methods and respect, he doesn't see that often. But when he was between them and their goal, they had to do something with that, they couldn't just change their mind for his beautiful eyes.
6) Fringilla Vigo - he is really hypocrite or he trully doesn't hate them ;)/> ..

He is in love with A WOMAN who is a sorceress.

I never said he hates them. He prefers confronting a Scoia'tael than a sorceress because he dislike absolutly their (of sorceresses) way of acting. Scoia'taels are direct with one goal. Sorceresses are complex, liers and manipulative in comparison and Gearlt's own taste. That doesn't mean he cannot recognize their value and power and ask them for help.

GuyN said:
My Geralt is uneasy about giving Iorveth his sword, which would make him look like a Scoia'tael collaborator in front of the trigger-happy Blue Stripes arbalesters. Doing so makes his choice not between following Roche and following Iorveth, but between Roche and Zoltan.

Geralt can perfectlly give the sword to Iorveth (an unarmed man who will be killed as he saves the girl from nilfgaarian soldiers in last footage) and that never prevent the player then join Roche later. It is one of the several options that gives the game.

Top Bottom