Whats the point of increasing Quen sign intensity?

+
Quen is a shield that protects you against enemy hits, and sign intensity makes it stronger.

But even with several hundred % of sign intensity, the shield always breaks after a single hit if playing on higher difficulties.

The sign could be balanced across difficulties by providing a % damage reduction in addition to its shield strength, and this reduction would increase as sign intensity increases. Would make it so focusing on this sign would actually make sense.

What do you think? Would be nice if it lasted at least two hits with a proper sign build.

Edit: As a followup idea, the upgrade that reflects damage seems pointless as well, barely doing anything. It could set attacking enemies on fire instead of or in addition to dealing damage to them, making it at least useful by distracting them for a bit, preventing more attacks for a few seconds while they burn.

Last edited:
Not sure and I guess it depend of enemies level, but for me, more I increase the intensity (runes/skill), more damage it can absorb :)
(it can absorb several attack from low level enemies easily without breaking)

Not sure and I guess it depend of enemies level, but for me, more I increase the intensity (runes/skill), more damage it can absorb :)
(it can absorb several attack from low level enemies easily without breaking)
What difficulty are you playing on? On Death March and with upscaling, the shield always broke after a single hit for me. And I specialized in signs.

Like always : Blood and Broken Bones and not upscaling.
So maybe something to change specificaly and only in Death March with enemies upscaling (which is the highest difficulty possible I think).
Post automatically merged:

I'm not sure, but increasing intensity could :
- Increase explosion effect and eflect more damage to enemies (Exploding Shield).
- Increase the health regen of alternative Quen (Active Shield).
- Reflect even more damages to enemies (Quen Discharge).

So I guess even if it break in one hit, could be useful to increase its intensity, above all if you wear light armor.

Last edited:
Upscaling has had some funky effects on enemy difficulty since it's beginning, so maybe that could be the reason then?

Yes, on DM things generally outpace Quen scaling so you don't get anything beyond a single hit absorb. It does tend to make additional Quen intensity pointless.

I've never seen it as a problem myself since Quen is a guaranteed one hit absorb. It's powerful enough as it is currently. Despite the fact raising the difficulty makes adding certain improvements pointless. Plus, I'd argue the guaranteed absorb is why the scaling is pointless. If damage exceeding the shield passed it then a bigger shield would be more better. Somehow I doubt that's something we can expect to change at this point though.

What difficulty are you playing on? On Death March and with upscaling, the shield always broke after a single hit for me. And I specialized in signs.

Upscaling has had some funky effects on enemy difficulty since it's beginning, so maybe that could be the reason then?

This has nothing to do with the "monster upscaling" setting.

How do I know?? I've always played with it OFF .

Yeah, OP is right:
On Death March difficulty, at about level 24 character level, my Quen shield currently absorbs about 600 damage,
at least according to the characters stats sheet.

And guess what??
Level 5 (yes, FIVE ... ) wolves break the shield after only a single hit...
And guess what MORE ??
My "resistance to monster damage" is at 17%, and my armor value is at 270.

Not "amazing", yes, but... guys... IT'S FUCKING LEVEL 5 (FIVE !!) WOLVES !!!

Mates, at this point I don't think this issue is about Quen being weakly affected by sign intensity...
I think the issue is that Quen does not seem to be AT ALL affected by sign intensity...

i.e. ... we're talking about A BUG !!! >=(

Because that shit... just ain't right !!! ... ~_~

CDPR fix please !!! >=(

Last edited:
Quen is a shield that protects you against enemy hits, and sign intensity makes it stronger.

But even with several hundred % of sign intensity, the shield always breaks after a single hit if playing on higher difficulties.

That's not exactly true. At some point if you increase Quen sign intensity enough, it goes completely ballistic. In my view, not a predictable effect, or easy to know when it triggers exactly, but combined with exploding shield, you will see it at some point.
Being that it turns into multiple shields and keep exploding. Against smaller enemies you might get 5-6 explosions with the shield (and the shield remains). Quite frankly I don't know how it works, but I guess it has to do with the "overall" protection and some higher level Quen trigger. It even does this on powerful enemies with high enough Quen level. It's super powerful, even somewhat OP.

PS. I tend to use Giffin set when I play, but it happened during the next-gen update playthrough as well, using Wolven set (with Quen runes)

Last edited:

Hey there, OP !!

Well, in case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm here to ENLIGHTEN you:

Next-Gen's Quen sign's PRIMARY mode is BUGGED.

See here:

Cheers!

Top Bottom