Why Ciri could be the Witcher 4 protagonist (MEGA SPOILERS)

+
Yep, that's true!

It's nice with Ciri. She always wants to be treated as as adult (and she is, mostly) she goes around killing evil people, killing monsters, fronting emperors, very strong and independant. But then when she needs it she can fall into the arms of Geralt and Yennefer. I love that, it's shown best in the last book. When she kills Bonhart and all those guards, fronts Emhyr and disrespects him. Then when she realises G/Y is going to die, she cries uncontrollably. That is the perfect explanation for Ciri. Very strong, very tough, very powerful and also very loving. Meh.

That is why i think having G/Y in the main plot would be amazing. it would provide a great story arch, showing Ciri as a killing machine with the monsters and then showing her loving side to her parents. its good.

Like Mrwhitey998 said, they share a bond that even her going independent would not break, even if Ciri does not trust Yennefer anymore for some reason, for Geralt, he would feel if she was in real danger and would set out to help her no matter if she wanted to stay independent from him or not, Geralt never had a bond with his real parents, but even his mother saves his life when he almost lost it.

My point was that having the protagonist's parents in the game is not required for an interesting story. If that was different with Ciri, then it in some sense implies that she is not as good protagonist on her own merit as Geralt. But I think it might just be difficult to imagine her in anything but the already known "daughter" role. Which is one of the reasons I would not want her to be the next protagonist in the first place, since the demand for a Ciri sequel seems to be mostly from fans who want more "family" content.

But with the direction of TW3 and its endings, a family focus just would not make much sense, and it would be entirely realistic for Ciri not to meet Geralt for a few months (i.e. the likely duration of the game's story). I also doubt she would want to drag him out of retirement into her adventures, being independent and somewhat reckless, she would prefer to deal with any trouble on her own and at most tell about it after the end. :)

So, I see putting Geralt into a Ciri game mostly as fan service, and it might not be worth it considering the cost of implementing it. Depending on the ending of TW3, it might not even make sense to meet him outside whatever place he retired at (Kovir or Toussaint), and having those locations in the game for the sole purpose of some fan service cameo quest (as I doubt that Toussaint for example would otherwise be an ideal place for the story, let alone recycled after already being used in the previous game) is not something that would be reasonable to expect. Although in the case of the "Ciri witcher, Geralt alone" ending, it would make some sense if they travelled together as witchers, but again, to me it seems like TW3 is about Geralt's retirement and Ciri becoming independent, so the obvious continuation would be to play as Ciri with little to no role for Geralt. If that does not sound interesting, then perhaps she is just not a great protagonist to begin with, and someone else might be better ?

Last edited:
My point was that having the protagonist's parents in the game is not required for an interesting story

It isn't necessary. But it would add to the depth greatly.

so the obvious continuation would be to play as Ciri with little to no role for Geralt

So Geralt/Yennefer have retired therefor there not important to Ciri anymore? I don't understand that exactly. She could easily ask for advice from her 100 year old parents about matters they have been through, which Ciri is new to.

Mistake by CDPR if you think that in anyway. She trusts her the same.

She literally says that she has plans for her, also in the Empress ending she says flat out that she "would rather not have her get involved this time", far from being in a position of trust by Ciri, big "mistake" by CDPR I hope and not a deliberate decision because of romance options.

Exactly. Ciri won't be in the shadow of them, she never was, she has always been independent. But she can always call upon them for help, guidance or comfort. It would to the overall appeal of the game.

I personally really want Geralt and Yennefer to be laid to rest (as in the books), that is why I personally don't want another Witcher game to happen, but if it is going to be Ciri then Geralt and Yennefer not being involved in some way would be really strange.

My point was that having the protagonist's parents in the game is not required for an interesting story. If that was different with Ciri, then it in some sense implies that she is not as good protagonist on her own merit as Geralt. But I think it might just be difficult to imagine her in anything but the already known "daughter" role. Which is one of the reasons I would not want her to be the next protagonist in the first place, since the demand for a Ciri sequel seems to be mostly from fans who want more "family" content.

Well even if by some miracle they manage to make a story all about her and not being related to her "parents" it would not be a really interesting story in the first place, I really don't want any more "Rats" tier stories, Ciri had enough of that.

But with the direction of TW3 and its endings, a family focus just would not make much sense, and it would be entirely realistic for Ciri not to meet Geralt for a few months (i.e. the likely duration of the game's story). I also doubt she would want to drag him out of retirement into her adventures, being independent and somewhat reckless, she would prefer to deal with any trouble on her own and at most tell about it after the end.

That is the point, she would not have a proper threat that threatens her in the first place if she does not come for him for help, which means a potentially uninteresting story.

So, I see putting Geralt into a Ciri game mostly as fan service, and it might not be worth it considering the cost of implementing it. Depending on the ending of TW3, it might not even make sense to meet him outside whatever place he retired at (Kovir or Toussaint), and having those locations in the game for the sole purpose of some fan service cameo quest (as I doubt that Toussaint for example would otherwise be an ideal place for the story, let alone recycled after already being used in the previous game) is not something that would be reasonable to expect. Although in the case of the "Ciri witcher, Geralt alone" ending, it would make some sense if they travelled together as witchers, but again, to me it seems like TW3 is about Geralt's retirement and Ciri becoming independent, so the obvious continuation would be to play as Ciri with little to no role for Geralt. If that does not sound interesting, then perhaps she is just not a great protagonist to begin with, and someone else might be better ?

I don't think she would be a great protagonist either, like in the books, she becomes the main character, but if Sapkowski did not see the reason to continue her story, then he most likely knows more than all of us that it would not be worth, but who knows? He may write a sequel to Lady of the Lake or not.

She literally says that she has plans for her,

The plans were simply to keep her safe. Yennefer hated Geralt being a Witcher, always worried he might die someday hunting a stupid drowner. So she doesn't want Ciri to follow in that footstep, but she can accept it and knows she will be safe, just like she accepts Geralt doing that job until their retirement ofc.

The other bit, no idea what that was about. I don't understand why CDPR sidelined Yennefer in the Geralt/Ciri situation when Yennefer was closer to her... but meh, wants to keep them Triss fans happy with their ridiculous demands.

Exactly. Ciri won't be in the shadow of them, she never was, she has always been independent. But she can always call upon them for help, guidance or comfort. It would to the overall appeal of the game.

Like the idea of having Y & G in the background (yet still in game through secondary Y & G missions) with Ciri and perhaps a new character in the fore..wether it be brother or lover..hmm..was going to say or both..but nah. ;)

Like the idea of having Y & G in the background (yet still in game through secondary Y & G missions) with Ciri and perhaps a new character in the fore..wether it be brother or lover..hmm..was going to say or both..but nah. ;)

lmao. yeah G/Y in the background, with secondary quests involving them would be great. With Ciri being the main protagonist.

lmao. yeah G/Y in the background, with secondary quests involving them would be great. With Ciri being the main protagonist.

Aye,the secondary missions could be called,'The old folks missions,' or 'Annals of the Coffin Dodgers.' Yeah..(warming to the idea now) Ciri and partner/chum could get periodic messages from the folks seeking help....i.e."Help Ciri! Forgot groceries,spilt nekker blood on the carpet and your mother has ported me to the top of the old oak.-Geralt." Or conversely,"Help daughter dear,your idiot father hasn't taken to retirement as easily as I'd hoped,he refuses to read or partake of any activity that doesn't involve swishing his sword! Please come and take him for a few days whilst I finish the spell i'm working on."- Your Beautiful Mother.

Aye,the secondary missions could be called,'The old folks missions,' or 'Annals of the Coffin Dodgers.' Yeah..(warming to the idea now) Ciri and partner/chum could get periodic messages from the folks seeking help....i.e."Help Ciri! Forgot groceries,spilt nekker blood on the carpet and your mother has ported me to the top of the old oak.-Geralt." Or conversely,"Help daughter dear,your idiot father hasn't taken to retirement as easily as I'd hoped,he refuses to read or partake of any activity that doesn't involve swishing his sword! Please come and take him for a few days whilst I finish the spell i'm working on."- Your Beautiful Mother.

lmfao. Yeah i like the letter idea. Just make the wording a little more lore friendly and it would be perfect, but i love that idea.

The plans were simply to keep her safe. Yennefer hated Geralt being a Witcher, always worried he might die someday hunting a stupid drowner. So she doesn't want Ciri to follow in that footstep, but she can accept it and knows she will be safe, just like she accepts Geralt doing that job until their retirement ofc.

Even so, Ciri still does not trust her, it is really really weird.

The other bit, no idea what that was about. I don't understand why CDPR sidelined Yennefer in the Geralt/Ciri situation when Yennefer was closer to her... but meh, wants to keep them Triss fans happy with their ridiculous demands.

I really hope that was an unfortunate accident during development, because if they deliberately made the decision of side-lining Yennefer in the family relationship for the reason of some goddamn romance option not being justified because of it, then you have no idea how much respect I will lose for CDPR as an art creator.

I really hope that was an unfortunate accident during development, because if they deliberately made the decision of side-lining Yennefer in the family relationship for the reason of some goddamn romance option not being justified because of it, then you have no idea how much respect I will lose for CDPR as an art creator.

Yeah exactly. They pretend that it isn't, but it blatantly is because of that. Actually Yennefer/Ciri is like the only NPC interaction that we get to see throughout the game, they did them together a little bit. Where is Ciri/Triss? Ciri/Zolton? Ciri/Dandelion? She was close with these people aswell. Nothing. Atleast Ciri/Yennefer actually got some time together, with even a few discussions between them. She also comments to Geralt that she is happy that they get back together, so that's nice.

Even so, Ciri still does not trust her, it is really really weird.

She trusts her, no doubt. Because she talks to her about personal matters in the game. She also trusts Yennefer over Avallac'h (rightly so) by talking to Yennefer about Avallac'h secret lab. She mentioned that to Yennefer first over Geralt. But the game comes across as "She loves Yennefer but Geralt is everything to her" when actually in the books it was more the other way around. She was closer to Yennefer.

Last edited:
Lots of subjectivity here,my simple take on it is...Ciri loves them both equally,Yen cos she knows that Yen puts her first and Geralt for the same reason but also because he's a little less intense...can have a laugh with etc..

Lots of subjectivity here,my simple take on it is...Ciri loves them both equally,Yen cos she knows that Yen puts her first and Geralt for the same reason but also because he's a little less intense...can have a laugh with etc..

She loves them the same, but she was closer to Yennefer in the books overall. Not by love but just overall... affection.

no, she cannot be the protagonist, very simple, there won't be any more witcher gams and on top of that, ciri is like a goddess, she is overpowered, it does not make sense to have her as the playable character if she can just kill every enmy in the galaxy with a scream

no, she cannot be the protagonist, very simple, there won't be any more witcher gams and on top of that, ciri is like a goddess, she is overpowered, it does not make sense to have her as the playable character if she can just kill every enmy in the galaxy with a scream

There will be more games from this franchise..you don't walk away from ten million sales..business reasons alone would suggest there will be more.
Agree that Ciri's character could be overpowered, but that's up to the writers of the next game to sort out.

---------- Updated at 01:06 AM ----------

She loves them the same, but she was closer to Yennefer in the books overall. Not by love but just overall... affection.

She shared more text with Yennefer no doubt , but it was never long before she would look to her next meeting with Geralt.

She shared more text with Yennefer no doubt , but it was never long before she would look to her next meeting with Geralt.

Ofcourse not. When she was with Yennefer she wanted to see Geralt aswell. She loves them both the same. But, she wanted to be called "Ciri of vengerberg" not "Ciri of Rivia" :)

She trusts her, no doubt. Because she talks to her about personal matters in the game. She also trusts Yennefer over Avallac'h (rightly so) by talking to Yennefer about Avallac'h secret lab. She mentioned that to Yennefer first over Geralt. But the game comes across as "She loves Yennefer but Geralt is everything to her" when actually in the books it was more the other way around. She was closer to Yennefer.

Even so, that "I'd rather she not get involved this time" line really rubs me the wrong way, even if she remembered to trust her adoptive parents over an elf who blackmailed her before.

. But, she wanted to be called "Ciri of vengerberg" not "Ciri of Rivia"

I am not going to get involved in "who do you love more - mommy or daddy?" stuff" but that point is not valid imao. Picking the name Ciri of Rivia wasn't an option at the Lodge meeting, It was clear that she had to pick the name after one of the sorceresses

I am not going to get involved in "who do you love more - mommy or daddy?" stuff" but that point is not valid imao. Picking the name Ciri of Rivia wasn't an option at the Lodge meeting, It was clear that she had to pick the name after one of the sorceresses

No it wasn't lol. She just had to choose a new name and the sorceresses suggested their second names saying they wouldn't mind her using their name. But she flat out denied and choose Yennefer.

Im not going with the "who do you love more - Mummy* or daddy" because she loves them both the same. But the book clearly shows C/Y having a deeper relationship. That's not saying she doesn't love Geralt, doesn't think about Geralt, doesn't care about Geralt, Doesn't cry about Geralt. I mean, she calls Yennefer her mother a lot. She doesn't say father to Geralt.

. She just had to choose a new name and the sorceresses suggested their second names saying they wouldn't mind her using their name.
Philippa one just page later says :"To meet with the witcher, for whom there is no place in her life? Are we to allow this sentimentality, which we will soon have to rid her of?"
So yeah - choosing sentimental name Cirilla of Rivia was absolutely part of the plan.

Top Bottom