Why does V sound like a jerk?

+
Because he's a newbie smartass who has no idea what's coming to him? i bet he changes his tone as the game goes on and dark events come up.

Because he's a newbie smartass who has no idea what's coming to him? i bet he changes his tone as the game goes on and dark events come up.

Well you have to be somewhat smart to get anywhere in the corporate world. Its fairly dark as it begins with V kinda throwing up in the bathroom as the stress gets to him. Naturally being a corpo means you have certain types of expectations and I imagine being nice can even be a detrimental with who ever above you wanting to keep their spot and who ever is below you willing to kill you for the spot.
But I also agree that we haven't seen nearly enough for an objective assessment on how the voice acting is done I will play as Male V for my first run through.

My opinion comes from someone who wasn't on the cyberpunk hype train and didn't really have my eyes on the game until like a day or two before it came out. My first play-through was as a female V. I felt her voice was perfect. She was emotional when it called for it, snarky when it needed to be there; her general overall tone I thought could fit the character very well, regardless of life path (I chose Nomad). I thoroughly enjoyed the work she did and what she brought to the character.

Then I started a second playthrough of male V. Nevermind that all the hairstyles make him look he has a receding hairline, the second he uttered his first lines I went: "huh. ok." I couldn't place it. I thought maybe it was in my head from coming off a fem V playthrough. 4 hours it hit me, he brought this "totally over it grizzled vet" presence to the voice that I feel just doesn't work. I don't mean any of this as insult to the VA as I highly respect that field, if anything it might be more a slight at the voice direction he was given. I'm still trying to truck through my male V run, but it just...doesn't feel right. This could also be down to what others before have mentioned in terms of VO work experience, but who can really be sure.

Anyway, sorry that was long, I just wanted to chime in.

The male voice actor sounds like he thought he was applying for a role in the Mafia remake and ended up in the wrong auditon without knowing but got the job anyway. I don't think the voice actor did a bad job but sometimes the way the guy acts and sounds rubs me wrong, but I think its just because I was expecting a fully formable character rather than a predetermined character with his own opinions and ethos beyond my input.

Guest 4375874

The male voice actor sounds like he thought he was applying for a role in the Mafia remake and ended up in the wrong auditon without knowing but got the job anyway. I don't think the voice actor did a bad job but sometimes the way the guy acts and sounds rubs me wrong, but I think its just because I was expecting a fully formable character rather than a predetermined character with his own opinions and ethos beyond my input.
Really? GTA, RDR...the list goes on. In Skyrim you don't even have a voice. These comments get more questionable with each passing day

I read somewhere that originally you were intended to have a background as a street kid and only much later were the lifepaths a thing. So fits if V is a street kid. I'm assuming they couldn't completely rerecord all the voicelines for all the different paths and just used what they had?

This is all speculative though so yeah.

I read somewhere that originally you were intended to have a background as a street kid and only much later were the lifepaths a thing. So fits if V is a street kid. I'm assuming they couldn't completely rerecord all the voicelines for all the different paths and just used what they had?

This is all speculative though so yeah.
Tbh I'm playing Corpo right now (first playthru still haven't finished like 55 hours in) I think CDPR should have stuck to the one lifepath for the first CP game. The unique dialogue options aren't mind blowing or anything. As for some of the lines Male V says (I'm not sure if it's similar for Fem V) some sound out of place. Like he's speaking one line and then yelling the other or he's sounding sweet one minute and then he sounds cold the next. It wasn't intentional, it was obviously recorded at different times or something. I hope they'll fix those up, but prolly not right?

I've spent way more time in dialogue than combat.
Again, which version of the game are you playing? Because in the one I have, I only ever really have dialog in cut-scenes or scripted events.

I don't count messages sent to me on a phone where I respond with 'Okay.' as 'Dialog'. So please, tell me where you found this rich cache of dialog that apparently is hidden somewhere in the game.

Again, which version of the game are you playing? Because in the one I have, I only ever really have dialog in cut-scenes or scripted events.
Then I think you must have purchased a different game. In this one there are barely any cutscenes. Almost all dialogues scenes are part of your normal movement around the world.

Then I think you must have purchased a different game. In this one there are barely any cutscenes. Almost all dialogues scenes are part of your normal movement around the world.
Huh. Okay, that's weird because I've never run across that. Only time I'm ever in dialog is if I'm sitting at a bar talking to a specific NPC or something.

There was ONE time Johnny showed up outside of my appartment to have a brief 3 line conversation about a piece of grafitti on the wall, but outside of that, every other piece of dialog has either been during a car ride, sitting at a bar or sitting in a room somewhere else.

Oh and that very first mission with Jackie, sort of. But he and T-Bug were more talking AT me than to me, so I don't know if that counts.

I've tried talking to random NPC's but they just go 'Huh?' unless they are specifically part of a quest I'm doing. Where are you finding all these riveting conversations? Is it somewhere in act 2?

Do you have like a video or something you can link me that shows me where this stuff is, because if it's in the game I've never seen it.
Sure - Spoilers Below related to Jackie
There isn't one cutscene [definition - a sequence in a video game that is not interactive, breaking up the gameplay] there. It's all part of V's normal movement during gameplay.

Do you have like a video or something you can link me that shows me where this stuff is, because if it's in the game I've never seen it.
Kind of curious on this. Still not far at all in the game but I don't see dialog options.

But pretty sure that maybe you two are misunderstanding each other?

The NPC's , basically the ones wandering around town, just say something random or yes "huh?" the other NPCs with dialog options are those who work at a shop and I guess side missions (haven't tried any of those yet). Also of course, the story.

Sure - Spoilers Below related to Jackie
There isn't one cutscene there. It's all part of V's normal movement during gameplay.

This is literally a cutscene. The only difference is the camera is mounted to your head. If this is what you're talking about, yeah. Sure I've seen a lot of this, but again, this is all just part of the main story questline. Where does this happen in the world at large, that isn't pre-scripted and requires you to 'take a seat' and watch the scene play out for you? That's what I want to know.

Are there any non-storyline NPC's that have anything like this related to them?

Literally the only one I've found is a guy that got a messed up operation on his nether-regions and needs me to take him to a ripperdoc to get himself fixed. That is the ONE time I've actually had a dialog with a non main storyline NPC that actually occured WHILE I was playing the game itself, and not locked in a seat not able to do more than just turn my head.

Top Bottom