Why Gwent is not popular?

+
Too much changes, and a lot of them no one asked for. Don't get me wrong, TCGs and CCGs are always evolving, but CDPR make so many changes that in the end everyone is a bit lost or disappointed, or both. They just announced they are changis around TWO HUNDRED cards in the next patch, between reworks, buff and nerfs.

It's hard to get attached to a game like this

I get the sentiment here. I'm happy to see the changes in the next patch because I think it will make the game better but you also have to recognize that they have to make these changes because the development of the game just hasn't been on track.

They have to change artifacts because they really weren't a good idea
They have to change reach because it wasn't really a good idea
They have to change removal because having so much wasn't a good idea
They have to over haul Northern Realms and Nilfgaard because their mechanics and archetypes didn't work out

I hope they reach a point soon where the game is in a good state where they don't need to have big balance patches or rework mechanics.

Last edited:
So all in all, Gwent went through a lot of changes from Beta but since HC got released I've seen this game to only improve and those big updates that are coming are making the path clean for the big big announcment and that's mobile + the new expansion.

I totally agree with you on that and I have to say that I liked most of the stages of Gwent that were out. One of the best changes after HC was the mulligan update which made the game so much better. The latest changes also look amazing, giving NR this strong militaristic feeling where things like formation and support units (crews) matter a lot. I´m totally looking forward to playing this "new" faction.

It´s more like a funny feeling that Gwent got released with HC almost a year ago and is still constantly changing. They are changing over 250 cards right now and this is big. The state of the release version just looks very unfinished if you look at it from today. So I think CDPR does a great job and the game feels better and better. It´s just that I have get used to these ongoing changes :ok:.

... imagine how stale and boring the game would be without that patch...
It would STILL be broken, stale is another, entirely different thing. Also calling it "stale" just a month after the introduction of entirely new faction... :shrug:

... It´s more like a funny feeling that Gwent got released with HC almost a year ago and is still constantly changing. They are changing over 250 cards right now and this is big. The state of the release version just looks very unfinished if you look at it from today...
It is, indeed, really funny for all the people that left. Left a game that was "officially released" in an Alpha stage.

... So I think CDPR does a great job and the game feels better and better. It´s just that I have get used to these ongoing changes :ok:.
How do they do a "great job", exactly? By listening to the community? ... some 9 months later, when the game hit rock bottom and their introduced changes had to be reworked ten times each till they get to the "you know, those suggestions back then could be actually the right thing to do"?

first quote:
Honestly, I don´t remember where I postet the first quote, can´t find it.

It is, indeed, really funny for all the people that left. Left a game that was "officially released" in an Alpha stage.

I don´t mean funny as in "hilarious" but as in "odd".

In general: I don´t like it that you always write that 'Nobody wanted certain things' or that 'the community wants this or that' or that 'the game hits rock bottom'. All these things are your assumptions not facts. I consider myself as part of this community and I don´t feel represented by you at all. If you want to keep on discussing please just write what 'you' want or think because you don´t know what everybody thinks or wants.

Looks like NR is going to be the faction where positioning matters most. I like the idea that you have to play soldiers besides your war machines like it used to be. Somebody has to control these machines so it absolutely makes sense.

Formation was introduced with Crimson Curse right? So with HC NR didn´t have any exclusive key words? Looks like a big step towards more faction identity.

Looks like NR is going to be the faction where positioning matters most. I like the idea that you have to play soldiers besides your war machines like it used to be. Somebody has to control these machines so it absolutely makes sense.

Formation was introduced with Crimson Curse right? So with HC NR didn´t have any exclusive key words? Looks like a big step towards more faction identity.

Yeah but Crew is just a Beta mechanic that they removed. I mean I'm glad they are going backwards and all. Homecoming needed more positioning, but at this rate they might as well bring all the old mechanics back. They already went back to the old mulligan system after the new one failed, why not just go full throttle back towards Beta to what they know works?

Gwent is unpopular, because it is too complicated and garbaged by order and charge mechanics, which are not needed here. It has complicated ranked system. And it is boring because of almost all cards have boring buff and deal damage mechanics. There is no interesting cards, made by Witcher lore. All cards are too balanced, too truncated to be interesting. There is no tension in game. And almost no sense. It is very badly gameplay designed. Not graphically. Graphics are mostly ok, except ragged borders and mud, where u throw ur golden cards. And depressing game atmosphere. Almost noone wants to return to this atmosphere every day. There is no fun.
That is why it is not popular: it has very much problems, that must be solved. I can add only one point to its pluses: good cards' arts and animations. All other things are very bad.

Last edited:
Gwent is unpopular, because it is too complicated and garbaged by order and charge mechanics, which are not needed here. It has complicated ranked system. And it is boring because of almost all cards have boring buff and deal damage mechanics. There is no interesting cards, made by Witcher lore. All cards are too balanced, too truncated to be interesting. There is no tension in game. And almost no sense. It is very badly gameplay designed. Not graphically. Graphics are mostly ok, except ragged borders and mud, where u throw ur golden cards. And depressing game atmosphere. Almost noone wants to return to this atmosphere every day. There is no fun.
That is why it is not popular: it has very much problems, that must be solved. I can add only one point to its pluses: good cards' arts and animations. All other things are very bad.

The gold cards and the leaders are not balanced at all (which would be not boring IMO but is not the case). The game is not popular anymore because the developers constantly make bad decisions. They constantly nerf some cards to the ground which are often played and then they are unplayable and other cards are overpowered. Really great...

Also the artifact-mechanic is garbage. Artifacts should be limited to one artifact per deck.
Otherwise we see these stupid decks all over the place who don't play any units, only do damage or scorch and play some big finisher at the end which is not possible with every leader btw.
Only one faction has a great artifact removal with Ida. The others have to sacrifice power against non-artifact decks. Great balance...

The ranked system is highly questionable of course but ok:
They are interested in keeping the players motivated so winrate is not very important. Only playing a lot of games is since then a winning streak will happen sooner or later and you go down a rank, no matter how successful you were previously.

Because Homecoming killed almost all the hardcore players and after that they made every single bad choice they could, why should i keep playing? As an ng player i saw my faction annhilated, i have nothing left to play against unbalanced garbage like skellige and syndacate.

*Wonders why the people above still lurks around this forum*

And is Gwent really unpopular?

I personally find gwent quite good. I like it more than Hearthstone which is too rageinducing (RNG based that is) and cartoony. MTG has deck inconsistency where battles are over before you even get to play sometimes (HS has this issue aswell, just not that large).

The atmosphere, art and music of gwent is stellar in my opinion. It could use a few more mechanics which hopefully will come with the faction balance updates onwards.
I also hope they nail the balance as well.

As for why its not popular, i guess it comes down to the big push they made with open beta only to have homecoming smack people in the face. The game changed drastically and i guess people got confused and put off by that. That with lack of promotion of HC probably prevented the game from rising higher.

I'll admit im worried with Gwents future, but i'll continue to support it. I really like the game as its very different from the other popular CCG's out there.
That being said, without having access to numbers, Gwent might not be doing well as in the XX Million players level, but surely they are doing good enough that CD Project Red is turning a profit and can keep developing the game?

Finally i'll lit a candle to the siege row which i sorely miss.

As for why its not popular, i guess it comes down to the big push they made with open beta only to have homecoming smack people in the face. The game changed drastically and i guess people got confused and put off by that.
If only game changed to the good. But it "drastically" changed to the bad. Almost all decisions (except, may be, provisioning and two rows) were unlucky and they weren't even discussed with community and even properly tested. They just made shit and said: "It's a new Gwent".

Last edited:
If only game changed to the good. But it "drastically" changed to the bad. Almost all decisions (except, may be, provisioning and two rows) were unlucky and they weren't even discussed with community and even properly tested. They just made shit and said: "It's a new Gwent".
Provisioning is a great addition, two rows i struggle more to accept.

I agree the total revamp came as a major suprise which is why i wrote what i wrote. Not everything is that bad though. The game is fun. Flawed, but fun.

Would you be able to suggest other mechanics aside from buff and deal damage?

I like good mechanics and archetypes but at their core they are all basically buff and deal damage.
No, it's not. There can be different deck, graveyard, hand and board manipulations. There can be opening, creating, copying, transmuting and many other card manipulations. We can also manipulate card's keywords. But we have just manipulations with card's health. It's quite primitive.

No, it's not. There can be different deck, graveyard, hand and board manipulations. There can be opening, creating, copying and many other card manipulations. But we have just manipulations with card's health. It's so primitive. Health manipulations must be one of the last things in a card game, I think.

We have deck, graveyard, and hand manipulations and some of those are mechanics I like the least.

Not sure what opening means, we have create, we have copying.

Not sure what opening means, we have create, we have copying.
I meant card's revealing. Yes we have create and copy, but they are in a very small numbers and almost unplayable because of high cost, if u compare to buff/damage. Cards are cards - they must be more swift and unpredictable to be interesting. There must be more card's manipulating mechanics to make game interesting and popular because of it.

Top Bottom