Why this game is broken (at least as a PC game but probably also as a console game)

+
Now that i'm done tweaking the graphics.. getting down to playing.. ugh the combat. Being PC we can fix graphical downgrades to a certain extent with mods and sweetfx.. but when you hit the gameplay its so obviously a console game. The devs have said publically they were working on only one version of the game.. and ./sigh. Next cdpr is a $7 steam sale methinks.Anyhoo.. SOLUTIONS i've found:Use a razer naga mmo mouse. This works quite well for changing signs (no silly slowmo wheel) in fast paced combat, and you can map the dodge key to your mouse thumb instead of keyboard alt (which is impossible to press that quickly and with that much precision.. did they even try to play this themselves?).It rubs it in so much so how much they did not care about the pc last edition.. the default keyboard keys aren't even in the same ORDER as the tab ui.. how are you going to learn them to use quickly on command in a fight when the buttons are a different order to the screen?The most shocking sign of not caring for the pc is the movement controls.. you can just tell that the lag in moving everything is for the analog stick extension movement.. pc keys are on and off.. i can't believe they didn't adjust the pc to feel smooth with this.. that's just mean spirited. If they even dare to claim they care about pc users again i'm going to be very mad. We have your console game CDPR, thanks, and words not the same as what we are playing are simply lies.
To be honest even though the keybinding this is a major issue
me personally I have it OK, and I managed to bind my keys the way I like (i have a good mouse)
but it's not that at all, it's the fact that even with the best keybind you still can't control Geralt 100%
as he do things automatically against your will (a major sign of being a console port)

these are design decision made around the limitations of a controller
and then ported into the PC with out any tweaking AT ALL
Plain and simple!

---------- Updated at 02:04 PM ----------

wow, akabez stop whining if you're bad at something start practicing, learn. There are SO MANY of us who don't have problems with combat so you should think about that.
whatever you say dude.
plenty of us who do have a problem, you don't see them here maybe, but we do exist
it's got nothing to do with practice as I don't find the game to be hard, just frustrating

My only issue with the game are the controls on PC. Geralt often doesn't respond in time and sheathes a sword during combat. The jogging is what annoys me the most tho. I often stumble down stairs or hit railings, even do some rolls down. The fall damage is ridiculous, Geralt cant fall 2 meters without getting a quadruple hernia.

Use run/walk toggle ffs. No problems while out of combat.

Dude, I wanted to eat my fingers in White Orchard against group of Drowners, not anymore. Focus, think, practice, repeat.

---------- Updated at 02:11 PM ----------

And as you level up and equip better armor/weapon it'll get easier. If you played Witcher 2 you should know this.

Dude, I wanted to eat my fingers in White Orchard against group of Drowners, not anymore. Focus, think, practice, repeat.
Maybe you didn't see when I wrote the good things about this game (plenty of them I agree)
but the things I complain about should have been taken care of in the PC port, it shouldn't have been like that
I am not saying everything is bad, only that clearly they made no effort with the PC port
despite claiming they did, so many signs to point that, you just can't ignore it
THAT is what I am angry about

---------- Updated at 02:13 PM ----------

Dude, I wanted to eat my fingers in White Orchard against group of Drowners, not anymore. Focus, think, practice, repeat.---------- Updated at 02:11 PM ----------And as you level up and equip better armor/weapon it'll get easier. If you played Witcher 2 you should know this.
And again, it's GOT NOTHING TO DO WOTH THE DIFFICULTY OF THE GAME... for the love of god

And by the way i will complain as much as I want, don't like it?go read some other post saying how this game is a masterpiece.

Well the game is a masterpiece IMHO, just needs some ironing out here and there. I don't remember seeing such a complex game almost entirely bug free at launch.

Well the game is a masterpiece IMHO, just needs some ironing out here and there. I don't remember seeing such a complex game almost entirely bug free at launch.
Agree with you on the bugs, (though I read some people had many crashes) I personally had a VERY smooth experience
About ironing out, well the things I talk about can be solved so yes, it could be a great game.

it dose not however justify CDPR false claims about designing this game as a PC game from the get go.
Clearly this is a BS.

Last edited:
Cant speak for anyone else but I personally havent experienced any of the above issues (minus keybinding but I that was mostly me just fiddling and going "meh")

Archers have never come after me outside of a combat state, but maybe thats because they are my number one priority when I encounter them, and I tend to dive past anything else to get to range attackers.

Agree with you on the bugs, (though I read some people had many crashes) I personally had a VERY smooth experience
About ironing out, well the things I talk about can be solved so yes, it could be a great game.

it dose not however justify CDPR false claims about designing this game as a PC game from the get go.
Clearly this is a BS.

Totally agree with you.

it is funny how people ignore the good things you said about the game and focus on the negative and assume you are either a bad player or just hating. The contorl scheme for pc needs adjusting and you should have more control in or out of combat.

And as good as the game is, if you find controling the character frustrating then it can spoil the game.

Here is another little example I hope would make my frustration more clear
Since I do like the setting of the game, the atmosphere, story and all, I do try to continue and play
So I got to some cave looking for Ciri and had a fight with some Drowners, in the heat of the battle
I found my self behind a little wall, that usually one can easily jump over
3 Drowners ran straight to me, as the cave wall was to my back i had no other choice but to try and jump over the small wall

To my surprise I found out you can't jump while in combat state
A rolling jump did not took me over the wall and Geralt performed the roll jump in place just against the little wall.

So essentially I got stuck there getting hit by the Drowners just because I could not jump a normal jump.
Sure, I survived the fight, but it's just that I feel as if the controls of this game are fighting against me
Got nothing to do with me lacking skills, it's just counter intuitive and allot of odd and bad design decisions
that were clearly inherited from controller oriented design which were not optimized for a mouse and keyboard one bit.

So hate me, say what you will.
But this is nothing more than a call for the developers to let them know this is not right, with a hope they will fix these issues
and a warning to other PC players lurking the forums here looking for information about how the Mouse and Keyboard controls are

I truly am happy for the ones who enjoy this game and do not see these issues as a major problem
but I must warn players who are more cautious consumers and have a better understanding of how this industry works
The ones that did not pre-order the game just because CDPR said the PC version will be great
and were smart enough to wait

I did not buy this game like I said, I got it with my gtx 980, and i am glad I did not contribute my well earned cash to CDPR
A company who is not telling the truth to it's fan base dose not deserve my money or anyone else's for that matter

I know many won't agree with me here
But I do what I think is right

---------- Updated at 04:23 PM ----------

I was able to parry without locking on a target....Agreed on the auto-sheathing though, that has to be fixed.
Yes you are able to parry with out hard locking on a target, but you can't parry out side of the combat state.And it's not only parry you can't do out side the combat state it's also dodge or roll
On the other hand you can't do normal jumps while IN combat state

But it's really not just the parry or the jumps, it's every thing combined
It's a slap to the face from CDPR and it's unacceptable, that is all.

I found this thread looking for a possible way to turn off targeting. I probably won't finish the game because the controls and camera ruin it. You can't screw up 1% of a game when that 1% is what you are doing 99% of the time. I also recently bought a GTX video card that was being bundled with this game. Knowing that made-for-PC is the standard lie practice I wouldn't have paid for it separately, but the problem in this case is mostly all of the forced automation and no backpedal animation without targeting, stupid features on any controller.

Hmmm...playing on PC, i7 4790K + GTX980, keyboard and mouse....not experiencing any of these problems. Did experience problems with keyboard & mouse in Dragon Age: Inquisition, although those have been sorted now.

Wasn't playing W3 at release (only for around a week or so) but from my perspective, the controls work just fine. Parry/Block is a little hard to time reliably, but I've never been caught behind anything yet.

It is interesting - as a sidenote - given how much muck is flung at Bioware on their forums by Witcher 3 'fans' to see how much is flung at CDPR on their own forums for many of the same 'issues'....

erxv

Forum veteran
to OP,

first time i encountered an archer, i got shot.... second time i encountered an archer, he was dead before he could fire the first shot and from there on i had ZERO problems with archers.... (sometimes they got a shot off, but either they missed *cause i dodged* or it hit quen.....

its not the games nor the developers (who are talented and hard working despite what you think) fault, that you cant adapt your playstyle...

play by the games rules, dont try to forcefully play by your own arbitrary rules and then complain when they fail.

The automations could easily be patched by putting an "if () {}" block around the function calls to focus mode and drawing/sheathing and adding a menu option or keybind to toggle. That is a few minutes of work at most. But if they haven't done something so simple yet they probably never will or it is rock bottom priority in a long to-do list.

Good lord that "Worth A Buy" video review pulled no punches. The Worth A Buy video is what the game industry desperately needs. The computer hardware has progressed immensely since the late 70's / early 80's (8-bit consoles). However, the quality and workmanship of gaming products has gone down hill. I don't count myself as a console gamer. I'm a PC gamer. I research and buy my hardware, assemble and optimize on my own. As long as the buying customer doesn't bring strong criticism game publishers will assume they can continue to serve low quality or shoddy products wrapped in pretty imagery to the public at a high price.

I got this game bundled with my new gtx 980 so I am glad I did not pay for this game. Also I will never buy a CDPR game and glad I never did.
I will tell everyone I can not to buy from CDPR, at least until they change their practices in general and patch up this game.

*im going to tell everyone i can not to buy anything from this company because of a game i didn't buy personally didn't satisfy me! so i highly believe no one else should try the game out or try/buy anything else from this company* Good lord i hope no one actually listens to you. reminds me of those sjw freaks.

hey guys in my opinion this game sucks! so believe me and don't buy anything from _________ because i didn't enjoy the one game i got for free because of ________ reasons. so don't buy or try it out because its totally not worth it because it didn't reach my satisfaction!!!.

:troll:

Last edited:
My thoughts on the OP:
-Auto sheathe: Because of this I punched (instead of using a sword) enemies maybe 4 or 5 times during an entire playthrough; not a big deal.
-Auto lock-on: I thought it was a feature that makes combat with a controller more fluid, but since i play with KB/M i've never used it since the tutorial. You can do everything just fine without it. I don't know how you are unable to parry without it, but it works and it always has.
-If you desperately want to rebind every single key, you can do so in the user.settings file.
-Not being able to parry from long distances? This is simply not true.
-If you want to run during combat, switch off the target button, simple.

So basically wat you are saying is you didn't take the time to get used to the combat, learn how to use it to your advantage. You just came on here, whining about how you didn't buy the game. I don't know what your goal is, but it's a pointless one.

EDIT: just noticed the date on the OP. My bad.

I feel your pain OP.

Full support for you from me. I have had a horrid 150 hours with these very bad controls and movement with is totally illogical and compleatly wrong for the PC.

I get as much flak from flanboys and players, who will keep defending CDRP and be blind to everything no mater how many lies and bad moves they do, in all the other forums I post about the games problems.

The only people who are fine with this game as it is are people who don't know how PC RPG games are supposed to play and people who should be playing on consoles since they are fine with half baked consoles ports like TW3.

I feel your pain OP.

Full support for you from me. I have had a horrid 150 hours with these very bad controls and movement with is totally illogical and compleatly wrong for the PC.

I get as much flak from flanboys and players, who will keep defending CDRP and be blind to everything no mater how many lies and bad moves they do, in all the other forums I post about the games problems.

The only people who are fine with this game as it is are people who don't know how PC RPG games are supposed to play and people who should be playing on consoles since they are fine with half baked consoles ports like TW3.

How can you spend 150 hours on a game then trash it so badly? I hope you never try to play Dark Souls 2 on the PC if you think the Witcher 3 port is bad.

Top Bottom