Will Ciri be in game ? =)

+
Sardukhar;n7414050 said:
In terms of videogames, yes, this is what happened. I'd dig up the article or just ask a Red, but I don't care enough. Suffice to say, Sapkowski wasn't asked for approval on what happens to his creation in the videogame medium, nor does he approve the changes they've made. If CDPR wants to put Ciri in 2077, they can.

Ciri did visit the Cpunk world. Technically this means magic exists in Cpunk. Oh, well. Let's hope that's the last reference.

I wouldn't go as far as Sapkowski does not approve the changes. He simply doas not care about video games at all.

Tarathelion;n7414210 said:
I wouldn't go as far as Sapkowski does not approve the changes. He simply doas not care about video games at all.

No, he doesn't approve of any of the changes made by anyone other than himself. The games are all non-canon to him.

""Maybe it's time to set the matters straight," he went on. "'The Witcher' is a well made video game, its success is well deserved and the creators deserve all the splendour and honour due. But in no way can it be considered to be an 'alternative version', nor a 'sequel' to the witcher Geralt stories. Because this can only be told by Geralt's creator. A certain Andrzej Sapkowski.""

This was from 2012 and may have changed. Doubt it though.

Sardukhar;n7414050 said:
In terms of videogames, yes, this is what happened. I'd dig up the article or just ask a Red, but I don't care enough. Suffice to say, Sapkowski wasn't asked for approval on what happens to his creation in the videogame medium, nor does he approve the changes they've made. If CDPR wants to put Ciri in 2077, they can.

Ciri did visit the Cpunk world. Technically this means magic exists in Cpunk. Oh, well. Let's hope that's the last reference.
Seems Mr. Sapkowski didn't sign a typical game contract then. Most times they specify the intellectual property can be used for a specified period of time and only within certain parameters. Since apparently CDPR did get the rights lock-stock-and-barrel I stand corrected in terms of Ciri.

Sardukhar;n7414520 said:
No, he doesn't approve of any of the changes made by anyone other than himself. The games are all non-canon to him.

Sure, and he should not consider it canon. What i mean is, its more of a general stance from him rather then the fact the he dislikes the changes that have been made.

We once had a thread about the whole ciri easter egg i think we even got more or less the whole discussion about the rights to put witcher characters in CP already there......funny how everything repeats sooner or later

Tarathelion;n7414180 said:
... What I am saying is that, magic was not always present in Witcher world. It appeared after the worlds clashed in an event known as Conjunction of Spheres. Basically, monsters, magic arrived from another world. From perspective of Witcher lore, it is possible to open a portal to another world, a world that may not have magic in it. In theory one of this worlds could be Cyberpunk. Cir arriving in a world without magic, would not mean that world would suddenly become infested with monsters, wizards and other crap.Her effect on this world could be meaningless. The doors for such crossover are certainly opened. Personally, i wouldn't mind a easter egg, but she should not appear in flesh, so to speak.
My understanding is that magic, and monsters always existed on the Witcher world (game, don't know about the books), though some may have arrived in previous conjuctions.
The last conjuction, had the arrival of only one type of monster, and they are human. Although, there may have been another one, after the humans appeared.

Where they originated had no magic, and they learned about magic after arriving. Ultimately outbred, and Conquered the elven kingdoms, and occupied all their main cities.
Eventually rewriting history to appear better than they are, as conquerers always do. Most humans think this world, is the one they always inhabited, and the invaders are all the other species.
Few even realise their human cities are built on elven ruins everywhere, not just the most recently conquerted ones, where it's more apparent.

The records are not accurate, both misinterpretation, and deliberate misinformation, has obscured the truth.
Humans arriving, is much more likely, and supprted by the evidence, in the world, while "monsters" arriving, is humans written history.
Humans come from a non magical world, and learned magic once here, and also means Ciri can travel to, and from them,
The method she uses is part of her own nature, not dependant on the world she's currently on.

Regarless of all that, CDPR can do whatever they want. They write the rules of their own universes, and what they say is all that matters, unless the contracts already signed forbid it

With as huge as CP is going to be, I don't think Ciri's presence would distract from the thematic flavor of the game at all. I would be delighted to see her as a main player in a side quest.

carabidus;n7458180 said:
With as huge as CP is going to be, I don't think Ciri's presence would distract from the thematic flavor of the game at all. I would be delighted to see her as a main player in a side quest.

Yeah, I kinda think they should have had a few minutes of Frodo in Star Wars. Lots of space in Star Wars.

No, no I don't.

Witcher and Cyberpunk are pretty different worlds and tell, hopefully, different stories. I'd like them clearly separated.

carabidus;n7458180 said:
Well ... hope for mod support or that one of the geniuses that makes mods for games without access to an official toolset feels the same way.

Sardukhar;n7458690 said:
Yeah, I kinda think they should have had a few minutes of Frodo in Star Wars. Lots of space in Star Wars.

Wow, passive aggressive much?

Anyone can see that’s a ludicrous comparison. Frodo didn’t have a conversation with Samwise about “traveling to a world where people used swords made of light”.

People can downplay this with a perfunctory “Oh Ciri didn’t really mean that… It was just a teaser”, but Ciri spoke the words in the Witcher story, and like it or not, the Ciri/CP2077 connection is a part of BOTH stories now. Thus, the two are NOT separate, insofar as Ciri is concerned.

CDPR opened that door, not me…

carabidus;n7462530 said:
but Ciri spoke the words in the Witcher story, and like it or not, the Ciri/CP2077 connection is a part of BOTH stories now.

No. There's no connection before there actually is. So far there's a couple of vague lines about a person in a magical setting traveling between worlds which is not at all unheard of. And even if it was an easter egg for CP2077, there's nothing to say they'd have to make it concrete.

carabidus;n7462530 said:
CDPR opened that door

And they should also close it before it gets out of hand.

kofeiiniturpa;n7462870 said:
And they should also close it before it gets out of hand.

Yep. There is a very vague reference to people with metal in their heads and flying cars. Could be Cyberpunk, could be any AE Van Vogt story. It was -deliberately- left that vague. There are hundreds of Cyberpunk 2020-specific references she could have used, including corporations, particular gear or cyber, the Net, you name it. They kept it hyper-vague for a reason.

If they want a true Cyberpunk experience, that means no magic. No dimension hopping sorcereresses. None of that fantasy stuff. There is no room for it.

Would be interesting to overhear a conversation or something about her... Like someone giving a police report or talking on their phone about how something of theirs was trashed by this weird white haired girl falling out of nowhere onto it

"I don't know what she was jacked up with, but there was a flash of green light and then my car hood was smashed in this white haired freak standing on it with a huge blade! Then she just vanished"

Outside of a passing reference though, no.

Suhiira;n7373260 said:
Ciri's reference to Cyberpunk in W3 was one line during a conversation.

Although it is not a conversation that is best suited for easter eggs, one would expect the reunion with Ciri to be a "serious" scene, so in my opinion it is really a part of the story that she (and Avallac'h) spent some time in a technologically advanced futuristic world. And it is also stated that it was a relatively long time, half a year. Then again, it is not said specifically that it was the world of Cyberpunk, and not just something similar. It might be an interesting idea to make a game about her adventures in that world, even if it is not likely to happen. On the other hand, there could very well be some minor reference in CP2077.

Last edited:
Suhiira;n7397130 said:
The problem is that means "magic" MUST exist on both worlds else she may not have been able to get to Cyberpunk (it could be a one-way trip) and definitely couldn't get back out. So if magic exists one would assume in the several thousand years of human history prior to CP2077 someone would have noticed.

So no, a once off unexplainable minor reference sure, any more then that opens a HUGE MESSY can of worms.

Ciri has magic in her blood. She can travel between worlds if she wants. Nothing more is needed.

Vik;n8490990 said:
Ciri has magic in her blood. She can travel between worlds if she wants. Nothing more is needed.

Ahhh....that's like saying Merlin has magic in his blood. Or Rand Al'Thor. Or Pug. Or whoever.

No magical people in Cyberpunk, thanks. Whether or not they appear in -any- other fiction. That includes Gandalf...and Ciri.

Top Bottom