Witcher 3 and Permadeath

+
Yes. The real problem is the humans/humanoids AI. They aren't smart, they aren't aggressive, and sometimes they stop to do anything except for a long and pointless "provocation". I'm playing on the hardest difficult and the game is...really easy, except for a couple of boss battle.

Those I don't mind so much. I do have a real problem with the elementals though. For me, they'll disengage from battle, walk to the edge of their leash with back turned, stopping to powder their nose or something. Then I'm forced to go in and get like 4 or 5 free hits, thinking wtf just happened. If there's one enemy type that's a guaranteed win, even with death march and 10 levels over me, its those elementals.

Anyway, this is the first game that I'd be willing to invest the time in a permadeath run. I wouldn't bother with it though without an official option for it.

Anyway, this is the first game that I'd be willing to invest the time in a permadeath run. I wouldn't bother with it though without an official option for it.

Why would you not bother with it without an official option just curios?

Yes the AI needs improvement. Alot of RPGs think that by adding damage modifiers that they make the game more difficult. This is not entirely true becuase one can employ cheap tactics to win or min-max. With such simple AI, damage modifiers just prolongs the battle making your mistakes hurt more. But When the AI is so easy to outsmart like staying just far enough away that you can roll backwards and they won't chase you or them just turning around exposing their back mistakes don't happen that often anyway. Human enemies should dodge as well as block.

Yah plus since you know that you might do that you might not take it as seriously or "permadeath" wouldn't feel the same.
But there are bigger issues for the game, I recon next post im going to outline some things that need fixing like AI, leashing, character movement, auto-targeting/soft-targeting etc

I agree. I'm of the mind that they'll add it if/when they want to. They clearly have a schedule and priorities. I'm not even done with my first playthrough. I really think there might be a glitch with those elementals. I mean, I'm standing on their turf, not outside it, and they retreat from me and just stand there for unusually long time. I wish I'd recorded it.

Maybe becuase open world games tend to be quite buggy becuase of there scale and less controlled enviroment which could cause unfair deaths

It's not because "becauses"...heh! It's more about how most of these threads go:

Player one: I like to have the option of tuna on Wednesdays to break up my pizza, chicken, and pasta meals.
Player two: Why do you like tuna? I don't like it.

Last edited:
Sure would love to get some feedback from CDPR about when this is going to be implemented.... it sure was promoted hard pre-launch...

They need to fix all the bugs first, but especially the fall damage it's extreme!

Aside from launch day, and getting to know how far one could fall, has anyone ever died from falling? So especially this "bug"?

So taking your stance of Don't Mess With This Nonsense shouldn't hampering/blocking mechanics be fixed first? Falling is working as intended and it's really not that bad... are most players jumping off cliffs?

I thought of this early in the game and even considered that it might be cool ... then for the third time my controls went wonky and I ran off a cliff when I was trying to turn a corner and decided that it was a horrible idea.

That moment you die because you fall from the sky as you try to mount the boat.

Or that moment you get stuck in "slow walking to your horse while ghouls hit you to death" because your horse moved 10 feet away from you.

And there is that moment you die because the NVIDIA drivers crashed,
and even tho your screen is frozen - the game is still continuing because the game didn't crash but it will after you are dead (or after 10 seconds or so).

... That special feeling you have after being so careful for 50 hours and you died because NVIDIA driver crashed in middle of a fight and you died because of that.

99.99% of your deaths won't happen because of the aforementioned things.

99.99% of your deaths will occur in battle.

Again, don't worry about people wanting this feature - you aren't losing anything if this feature is available.

---------- Updated at 11:28 PM ----------

People who dont understand hardcore gaming, will never understand hardcore gaming, and thats ok.

That's not okay when they argue against the feature.
The idea of "I don't like it/won't use it, therefore no one should have it" is ridiculous and selfish.

---------- Updated at 11:30 PM ----------

I understand it, I just don't want to do it when I've already had my game screen frozen because NVIDIA drivers crashed now 10 times at least and this only need to happen once in a fight. Plus I've also died to several bugs like stuck on walking to horse that ran away and being walking thru nest of ghouls.

Then don't use the feature! It's clearly not for you!
But why argue against it?
I would want the feature, bugs or not.

---------- Updated at 11:38 PM ----------

You can easily use self control to restart the game anytime you die from a non-bug reason. If you are insane enough to want to do so, that is to say. And no, perma death and wasting hundreds of hours does not make for hardcore gaming. This is an RPG, hardcore gaming on it would be sticking to the character and making all of your decisions as best you can to what he would do even if you suspect or know the outcome will not be pleasant. This isn't a hack and slash.

You can't "easily use self-control" any more than you can hold your hand over a hot stove; anymore than when you decide to take shortcuts through the neighbor's lawn; anymore than you just "can't help yourself" - that expression exists for a reason.

There is no free will, there is just a cost-benefit analysis/programing in the brain that is mostly instantaneous and subconscious. There is absolutely no guarantee that a human being will be able to "easily use self-control" every time they die in the game. There may be a really silly death because you had to sneeze during the fight, so you may think to yourself that that death shouldn't count so you just continue fighting.

We don't put criminals in jail because all they have to say is "I am sorry, I didn't mean to. And I will easily exercise self-control in the future" now do we?
No.

There is a deterrent. And if you commit a heinous crime - you go to prison.
If you die on a permadeath mode - you start from the beginning without the frailty of the human element involved.

Plus, just deleting your saves and starting over is not proof that you had actually beaten the game on permadeath mode.

I proudly display the Witcher 2 Insane Achievement and the X-Com Impossible/Ironman achievements on my Steam profile.

Last edited:
I'm currently writing a tool for perma-death. But i need a little help.

Would u guys mind sending me your death screen as a screenshot?
I have no clue how its scaling with different resolutions, but my values have to be exact.

I'd appreciate it. :D

No at least 80-90% percent of your death will occure of fall dmg. As long as they don't fix/lower fall dmg a dark mode would be completle bs.

I don't know how you are playing.
Most peoples deaths happen during battles in this game, NOT because they fall. I only died a couple of times because of fall damage only because I was inpatient.

Here is a solution - stop rushing and be more careful with your surroundings.
And here is another bonus solution....don't play on permadeath! and don't argue against it if sadomasochists like me yearn for it.

Last edited:

I have no clue how its scaling with different resolutions, but my values have to be exact.

I'm at 1920 so probably not helpful... perhaps all these people falling to their death every few minutes can provide theirs. =)

I'm playing on 2560x1080 - dont know if that's helpful.
I'll send it to you when I get home.

Top Bottom