Witcher 3 and Permadeath

+
Witcher 3 and Permadeath

Before Witcher 3 was released there were a lot of articles stating that Witcher 3 was going to have Permadeath. This means that you would only have one save and when you died that save was deleted. For myself, this was a VERY exciting feature. Unfortunately no such option exists in the game. Has Project Red decided to not add this feature in? Or is it still being worked on?

I know many people hate the idea of playing a game this big with a one life rule. That's fine, just don't play with that option. But there are quite a few people that do. Many people say "Well why don't you just delete your save when you die?". It's not the same thing.

With a "delete your save" method those feelings of anxiety and fear are not the same because you know that if you die, you don't really die. It is up to the player to than delete the save. But in knowing this, the feelings of fear and anxiety dwindle especially the further you get into the game. In true permadeath, you know that if you die, you REALLY die and those feelings of fear and anxiety intensify the further you play.

Permadeath is not for everyone, in fact probably 90% of the players won't even try it. But this game is an IMMERSIVE game. You start feeling a part of this world. To fear death will increase the immersion 10 fold.

So Project Red, please let us know: Is permadeath or a permadeath-like option still something you are preparing? Are there any details about when it will be added in or if very unfortunately, you have decided not to add this into the game can you please state your reasons why?

That moment you die because you fall from the sky as you try to mount the boat.

Or that moment you get stuck in "slow walking to your horse while ghouls hit you to death" because your horse moved 10 feet away from you.

And there is that moment you die because the NVIDIA drivers crashed,
and even tho your screen is frozen - the game is still continuing because the game didn't crash but it will after you are dead (or after 10 seconds or so).

... That special feeling you have after being so careful for 50 hours and you died because NVIDIA driver crashed in middle of a fight and you died because of that.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great idea but first they have to kill all the bugs and improve controls to make this happen, it isn't funny when you die because of silly bug, poor controls or by mistake, for example you get stuck between objects after rolling from an enemy attack and cannot jump because Geralt is in combat mode, or you run into high level area and enemy one shot you, I bet people will also use savescum in this mode.

Just start a new game if you die. Adding this just seems like a pointless waste of the developers time.

Besides with a few of the bugs now it would just lead to tons of rage from those who used it, died from a glitch and lost 50-100 hours of their time

There are enough people complaining about nonsense here we don't need to purposely invite more

Last edited:
+1 OP - im looking for info on this as well. currently practising new campaign trails and skill choices, preparing for my perma death playthrough.

Actually they did consider and probably still developing an Insanity Mode, it's here => http://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3-considering-insanity-mode-that-would-wip/1100-6424918/

Gamespot said:
Polish developer CD Projekt Red is working on an "Insanity" difficulty mode for open-world role-playing game The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt that sounds like it would certainly live up to that distinction.

During a recent Twitch live-stream, CD Projekt Red developers said they couldn't reveal too much about the Insanity mode, since it's still in development, but did confirm that one idea being tossed around is that dying even once would wipe your entire game save.

CD Projekt Red's overall goal for Insanity mode is to make it incredibly punishing but still fun, developers said, as reported by Game Informer. The developer didn't reveal any other ideas it had for Insanity mode, and it should be noted that nothing has been finalized. By comparison, 2011's The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings had two enhanced difficulty modes: Insane and Dark. Both ramped up enemy difficulty and punished you severely for dying.

Last edited:
That moment you die because you fall from the sky as you try to mount the boat.

Or that moment you get stuck in "slow walking to your horse while ghouls hit you to death" because your horse moved 10 feet away from you.

And there is that moment you die because the NVIDIA drivers crashed,
and even tho your screen is frozen - the game is still continuing because the game didn't crash but it will after you are dead (or after 10 seconds or so).

... That special feeling you have after being so careful for 50 hours and you died because NVIDIA driver crashed in middle of a fight and you died because of that.

People who dont understand hardcore gaming, will never understand hardcore gaming, and thats ok.

I started programming myself a tool for that already. It just keeps one save around, i only have to figure out how to detect my death.

And regarding the bugs.... u always could add a ... last chance mechanic to get ur save back, if you died by other influences.
Player has to be honest and u only get one "second chance" and maybe an additional one once u played 40+ hours... something like that comes to mind.

People who dont understand hardcore gaming, will never understand hardcore gaming, and thats ok.
I understand it, I just don't want to do it when I've already had my game screen frozen because NVIDIA drivers crashed now 10 times at least and this only need to happen once in a fight. Plus I've also died to several bugs like stuck on walking to horse that ran away and being walking thru nest of ghouls.

The question I'd like answered is if there's a Dark or Insane mode (no Loading of save files) will these modes disable modules? Having a module while playing these difficulties potentially could make it not permadeath with the right tweaking, right (or wrong)? Ex. the module literally makes you godlike, unkillable.

@May17th: I'm sorry that happened, but playing alot of permadeath in games it's not as much as beating the game as the experience of it. Sure it can happen but for myself i've had 0 player killing bugs so far.

@Smurfin : I agree that it just be put off a bit till some of the big bugs are out, I haven't experinced any player killing bugs myself. I'm just baffled as to why there was such an uproar in the media about it and now complete silence.

@Liquidacid : They said they were developing it already but than got silent. It's been in the other witcher. Also it doesn't require that much time to add into the game, if all they did was add a perma-death option like in xcom it would just be a simple script that prevents saving and has one auto-save that upon death gets deleted. Doesn't take a lot of time.

@eVolition : Your not the only one mate :) , been reading lots of forums on the topic and speaking with quite a few people and there are lots of people really hoping this gets implemented. The fact that the game is so HUGE makes the perma-death even better the way i see it, more to lose.

@iforgotmysocks : OMG true? Can you send me a copy?

@zaxe3k : I'm guessing you are referring to mods? If a game is modded I would hope that they disable achievements. However for myself I don't care if there is an achievement if you beat the game with one life I just want the option.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you are referring to mods? If a game is modded I would hope that they disable achievements. However for myself I don't care if there is an achievement if you beat the game with one life I just want the option.

Yes.

will these modes disable modules?

Personally I don't pay heed to any achievements and was mostly wondering (not that the playerbase would know) if selecting of certain modes (Dark/Insane) would also not allow modules. I hope they do and I hope they don't. While I'd not use any cheat(-like) module I would like to use modules with a permadeath (or, at least, more brutal type of playstyle) mode, such as playing with a module that adds in a compass, disables the map, a fatigue system, encumbrance having combat penalties, not meditate regularly has sever effects, etc.

Well without a fingerprint on the save that gets synched online to your account and requires online connection at all times, it would be really easy to get around the save deleting to still get the achievement. I hate it when games auto-save everything like Dying Light, so I wrote a program to automatically backup my save files every time they are modified. Someone could use a similar program to just do that, and that's not even getting into modifying save files or other ways to actually cheat people could come up with, so perma death achievements wouldn't mean much.

I hope they aren't wasting any time figuring out perma death related things right now. Maybe in the distant future they could waste resources on it, but what a useless feature. You can easily use self control to restart the game anytime you die from a non-bug reason. If you are insane enough to want to do so, that is to say. And no, perma death and wasting hundreds of hours does not make for hardcore gaming. This is an RPG, hardcore gaming on it would be sticking to the character and making all of your decisions as best you can to what he would do even if you suspect or know the outcome will not be pleasant. This isn't a hack and slash.

I would like a Dark mode with a real improvement in the enemies AI, instead of a...useless permadeath mode.

I'm all for more difficult settings and more options on how smart the AI is, how many enemies spawn, enemy levels, how potions work and if they restock or not without recrafting them, et cetera. But yes, perma death is pointless and something easily accomplished by restarting the game without the developers wasting time on it.

I mention permadeath in my above replies and quite honestly I'm only keeping to the topic at hand. I prefer to not have a permadeath mode and simply have a "One Save File" mode that extends back only a few seconds to about a minute of gameplay. Quicksave and Manual saving is disabled. Perhaps even go as far as a slider of 1 to 60 seconds and the player would choose how far back they'd like to restart from. The slider idea probably wouldn't work but it's my ideal (semi) permadeath solution.

perma-death achievements yes a useless feature. Perma-death not useless.

I just wish they added a simple one save / deletes when you die option now and worry about improving it later. Make it only accessible after you beat the game to keep new player from rage quiting on the game for the bugs that might kill you.

@BarikMorloc i still need to figure out how to indentify myself dying. :p Until i managed that it's not that useful. xD
But i'll publish it once i figure it out. ^^

This one has to be enough for now. :p
But i'll keep working on it later.

It would take less than a few hours for an experienced developer to add a simple one save- deletes when dies option. So lets stop saying "wasting time" it's not wasting time and by no means is the player deleting the save and a forced delete the same thing.

Player deleting the save deflates the experience read OP. Forced delete however you can't change your mind. One is set in stone the other is a choice. Which one will have impact immersion more? The forced delete because death is not a choice it's a consequence.

I'm all for more difficult settings and more options on how smart the AI is, how many enemies spawn, enemy levels, how potions work and if they restock or not without recrafting them, et cetera. But yes, perma death is pointless and something easily accomplished by restarting the game without the developers wasting time on it.

Yes. The real problem is the humans/humanoids AI. They aren't smart, they aren't aggressive, and sometimes they stop to do anything except for a long and pointless "provocation". I'm playing on the hardest difficult and the game is...really easy, except for a couple of boss battle.

Top Bottom