Witcher 3 crashing my entire pc

+
Basically this is the only thing that crashes my computer. I've stress tested everything to make sure it wasnt my psu and just ran heaven for 2 hours with zero issues. I can play any other game all night with zero issues but if I turn on witcher I'm going to get a crash within 30 minutes. I have a 1080ti (newest drivers but I've also rolled them back to check) a 6700k ( I had it overclocked but turned that off as well trying to fix this bs). I've monitored my temps while playing and never go above 70c. My memory is 2166 mhz 32 gigs ddr4 and I also stress tested it with zero issue. I've spent two days trying to figure this out and my sys logs just say my PC powered down unexpectedly.

Legit nothing does this to my pc except witcher so I'm getting kinda pissed at this point. Oh I've also underclocked my GPU as well to try and fix it. I've disabled and uninstalled all addons as well as redownloading the entire game not once but twice to make sure one of my ssd's wasnt the issue. I've disabled the vsync in the game settings and a couple other things.

I truly dont get it. Anyone have any ideas?
Post automatically merged:

update, i ran superposition for six benchmarks playing with clock speeds and never once experienced a crash so i really dont think its my psu (1200w gold btw). my score was 19432 so i can easily run witcher 3 yet it continues to crash my entire pc.

Last edited:
PCs powering down unexpectedly are normally the result of either overheating, a voltage problem, or a hardware fault. Even if you have numerous other games that work fine, it's perfectly possible that only TW3 puts the system into a state where the problem manifests. A software program cannot tell an operating system to cut power to the PC. That would more or less take a virus that directly overwrites your system kernel files, and Windows would go ape if something like that happened. There would most assuredly be other symptoms.

By the sound of it, it's possible that overheating could be the issue (even though the tests may say 70°C max). TW3 is a demanding game, and certain versions of drivers / GPUs can get the fans really whirring. The problem will be exacerbated by any form of overclocking. Benchmark programs are fine for the purposes of testing performance, but burn-in software would be better suited to uncovering a problem with the PC. If you have none to use, I would strongly recommend taking the PC into a good shop and having them look the system over. An auto power-down is definitely not something that should be happening, and is directly indicative of a hardware issue.

1.) Are you using overclocking for the CPU, GPU, or RAM? (Also, side-note, whenever a problem like this occurs, I'd strongly recommend against underclocking anything, either. That should never be necessary to fix an issue. Best bet is to set default clock speeds and voltage settings across the board while troubleshooting.)

2.) PSU issues can be sneaky. If you have another one available, I'd swap it in to see if the problem continues.

3.) Try lowering the game's resolution to the lowest possible setting and running it that way for a while. Then, raise it to a 4K resolution and try again. See if the power-down occurs sooner / later. (I wouldn't do this too much, though. Cutting power to a PC in operation is among the meanest things one can do to it.)

4.) Are you getting any form of beep or post code from the motherboard when it happens or after it powers back up?

Last edited:
No codes or anything and I've run more demanding games. I also have used several things to monitor my card and it never goes over 68c even while stress testing for hours. I may have found a work around as I'm on an hour straight without a crash. Basically I shut down all non necessary windows processes (schedules updaters etc. Came out to 11) and then I put all my stuff back to where it was (overclocked CPU and GPU). If it crashes again I will test my psu by finding another known good but I really dont think witcher is gonna stress my system more than literal stress tests.
Post automatically merged:

Happened again. I give up, tested my psu under 98% load on gpu and CPU for over 2 hours but yeah, witcher 3 is just too powerful. -_- I beat the game on launch and just wanted to play the dlcs but it's not worth it with all this bs going on.

Last edited:
Happened again. I give up, tested my psu under 98% load on gpu and CPU for over 2 hours but yeah, witcher 3 is just too powerful. -_- I beat the game on launch and just wanted to play the dlcs but it's not worth it with all this bs going on.

Not a good sign. I know such issues are frustrating, but not dealing with it now can create a much more significant and expensive issue later. A sudden power-down at the wrong moment can mess up the file system. If a component blows while in operation, it can create an arc inside the case that can potentially damage other components. I wouldn't write this one off. Any decent shop that builds custom gaming rigs should be able to test it out and find out what's happening.

No codes or anything and I've run more demanding games. I also have used several things to monitor my card and it never goes over 68c even while stress testing for hours.

It may not have anything to do with the video card. In fact, if there are no errors or logs being formed, it's most likely a problem with the CPU, motherboard, or PSU. Something is shutting the PC down before any of its debugging stuff can kick in. That is almost invariably a hardware issue.

What are the other games you're playing? While they may be more demanding graphically, there are relatively few games that tax a system in as broad a way TW3.

If it crashes again I will test my psu by finding another known good but I really dont think witcher is gonna stress my system more than literal stress tests.

That's the key. It's not always about "more". It's very often about "how". As absolutely ridiculous as it may seem, especially over time, the 100% actuality is that only TW3 is manifesting the issue. There is no code in any game that can instruct the OS and forcibly cut power to a PC while it's in operation. So, weird as it may seem, only TW3 is putting your system in exactly the situation it needs to be in to trigger the power-down.

Top Bottom