Wolves and Dogs - is damage properly scaled?

+
Wolves and Dogs - is damage properly scaled?

Is it just me, or Dogs and Wolves do incredible amounts of damage in NG+? Even when the dog/wolf is several levels below me (gray color), I die in 2-3 quick bites. At the same time, bears, endrigas, wraiths etc, even when at my level do much less damage. I wander if there is an extra "zero" in the dog/wolf damage. Any ideas?

Yeah I have a feeling there is something wrong with them. I use a scaling mod and it drastically reduces their level (caps it at like 20 or 30). I was one hit killed by one during a quest section of skellige before I updated the mod to work with 1.10.

I don't remember how the things were before but in NG+ - yes, in my opinion wolves and dogs do way to much damage. Apparently, this is not the first time someone mentions incredible damage inflicted by dogs/wolves.

Not sure what is your level and skill configuration but 2-3 bites sound a bit crazy. I did experiment moment ago - I have 65th level with mastercrafted cat set + 2000 HP from two decoctations + synergy which gives ~10k HP in total. They still need dozen or so bites to bring me down.

Last edited:
Yes I agree. Never been one shotted but I have had moments where Three lunged at the same time and I died instantly.

---------- Updated at 04:09 PM ----------

I dont know that it is a huge problem though. They are definitely still beatable, just need to make very few mistakes.

Yes I agree. Never been one shotted but I have had moments where Three lunged at the same time and I died instantly.

---------- Updated at 04:09 PM ----------

I dont know that it is a huge problem though. They are definitely still beatable, just need to make very few mistakes.

Later in a NG+ I would agree but in white orchard the majority of fights in the wild are against wolves. And it's not so much of they're beatable but they shouldn't be the hardest enemy in the game and they are by a long shot.

A group enemy that doges better than most, deals more damage than a sword hit, and takes more damage than an armoured oppenent. Doesn't really make sense in a world with monsters that require mutated people to hunt, there should be contracts on these all mighty wolves.

I prefer fighting humans that outlevel me greatly than going against wolves, their damage is just insane for the amount of flanking they do.

I prefer fighting humans that outlevel me greatly than going against wolves, their damage is just insane for the amount of flanking they do.
Yeah sometimes it can be like "Oh come on, FUCK ME!" especially when you are just exploring and you haven't saved recently. Large groups of humans are a close second but you can usually get them to follow in a line without flanking you.

I assume you're talking about Death March difficulty, right? I've been killing wolf packs since level 1, no mods, and they are quite easy once you find a good tactics. Thing is, they are easy to incinerate and with a good dodge/roll they won't hit enough to kill. Might take a few tries though. In NG+ they were even easier for me. Once you have a certain bomb, you can kill the whole pack with just one explosion. =)

I assume you're talking about Death March difficulty, right? I've been killing wolf packs since level 1, no mods, and they are quite easy once you find a good tactics. Thing is, they are easy to incinerate and with a good dodge/roll they won't hit enough to kill. Might take a few tries though. In NG+ they were even easier for me. Once you have a certain bomb, you can kill the whole pack with just one explosion. =)
Northwind really helps out alot too.

The issue is not whether a skilled player can survive a wolf pack or not. The issue is that compared to other enemies, dogs and wolves to disproportionate amounts of damage. I suggest that Wild Hunt troops become common monsters, with the game culminating in fighting a wild dog pack.

the thing with dogs and wolf in death march new game plus is that there damage is not countered by any bonus on the armor. all the witcher sets have bonus protection against monsters. wolves and dogs are actually beasts, nothing special. they do the same damage than everything else in comparison (increased of course becouse that is the things work on ng+) but the other monsters do less damage becouse of such details. they are a bit op becouse of that :p

Then why Bears, a few levels higher than the dogs in question, do somewhat less damage? By the way, I see this discrepancy without wearing any special armor - pretty much wearing random loot and no glyphs.

Last edited:

Yes, we are talking about only right level in TW3 - the death march :)

And yes, we've been killing wolf packs since lvl 1. :)

And yes, we have no mods :)

And yes, we do have tactics which allows to avoid bites :)

Things is that wolves/dogs do to much damage compared to drowners, bears, nekkers, harpies etc. Even more dangerous monsters like Wiverns, Cyclops, elementals are less dangerous than mere wolfpack. It is all about the balance.

P.S. Please, bomb against wolf pack? A little more respect to "n" button on your keyboard :D

snip

Things is that wolves/dogs do to much damage compared to drowners, bears, nekkers, harpies etc. Even more dangerous monsters like Wiverns, Cyclops, elementals are less dangerous than mere wolfpack. It is all about the balance.

P.S. Please, bomb against wolf pack? A little more respect to "n" button on your keyboard :D

I have to agree that they bite hard as hell. And it is my middle mouse button that releases poison bombs while I just watch them gasping for air... =)

And Yrden, one of our defenses against groups of foes, was badly nerfed. Going the wrong way, Red.

Wolves also have a pretty rapid attack. Their bite hurts as much as a sword and they can get off 3 or 4 per wolf in the time it takes a human opponent to swing.

Bombs are great if you can catch them unaware & at range, but once they are on you, bombs are a no-go. You'll just stagger yourself and leave Geralt vulnerable to a bite chain death.

Last edited:
Top Bottom