Would you choose to become a Witcher?

+

Would you choose to become a Witcher?

• Total voters
Not really.Only the outcast part.And since most mages live in luxury it's hardly a problem for them.

Have you been paying attention to the story at all?

We don't really know all that much about how sorcerers get trained, it is probably tough. But:

Sorcerers are infertile
Sorcerers get targeted to be tortured and murdered all the time in many places
Sorcerers get heavily controlled in most other places
And they are outcasts and generally distrusted as you confirmed.

They also extend their lifetime by a long time.

How so?

---------- Updated at 12:19 PM ----------

Sorcerers have a lot of the same pros and cons.

---------- Updated at 12:20 PM ----------

Assume that they are not replaced.

I cant assume that, that would change our own world :D :D

Probably yes though...

If Ciri wanted to be Empress or if she actually cared about what Emyhr wants for her, she would gone to see him without Gearlt input. She instead asks Gearlt what should she do.

If you tell Ciri to go see Emyhr he pisses her off by trying to buy her, instead of telling her he wants her to be his successor. If you tell her not to go Gearlt tells Ciri that Emyhr have plans for her (which is true), Ciri responds by saying she's tired of people planning her life for her.

I personally don't care that she's the emperor daughter or have the elder blood, She should do what she wants not what someone want her to do, if she wants to be a witcher then she should be a witcher.

Last edited:
Have you been paying attention to the story at all?

We don't really know all that much about how sorcerers get trained, it is probably tough. But:

Sorcerers are infertile
Sorcerers get targeted to be tortured and murdered all the time in many places
Sorcerers get heavily controlled in most other places
And they are outcasts and generally distrusted as you confirmed.

They also extend their lifetime by a long time.

It's definitely not as hard as witcher trials.Also we only know,that most sorceresses are infertile,because of Tissaia de Vries.It's unclear if sorcerers become infertile as well.

Can I answer this with serious answer ?
1. If you had a long lifespan, you will have to witness, see and bury anyone that you love and care. Husband, Wife, Child, Friends, Family, Foster Child. That's suck.
2. Sex IRL with the same woman can only be enjoy for max 20-30 years. Sex with different woman, can only be excite for 40-50 years. In the end, people will get bored with sex. Right now, maybe we won't feel that yet.
3. You have been design to always fight monster. Simply sit down and play Gwent at some point will sicken your feeling, as Witcher excitement, enjoyment and feel alive if they are facing danger. Means, your life always at stake.

conclusion, Not for me ! :huh:

1. If you had a long lifespan, you will have to witness, see and bury anyone that you love and care. Husband, Wife, Child, Friends, Family, Foster Child. That's suck.
2. Sex IRL with the same woman can only be enjoy for max 20-30 years. Sex with different woman, can only be excite for 40-50 years. In the end, people will get bored with sex. Right now, maybe we won't feel that yet.
3. You have been design to always fight monster. Simply sit down and play Gwent at some point will sicken your feeling, as Witcher excitement, enjoyment and feel alive if they are facing danger. Means, your life always at stake.

conclusion, Not for me ! :huh:

you are stripped from emotions, so u dont feel sadness, the only moment geralt felt sadness and actaully went beyond witcher limitations is where he also dies or commits suicide in that crone's house once he finds the medallion, but cant stand the pain of losing CIRI.

Infertile is ok with that long lifespan, basically I'm my own son and my own father and my own grandfather all in one lifetime. ;D

Immunity to diseases/sterile is one of the coolest perk, no virus, bacteria, microorganism can infect a witcher.

Unless your friends and lovers are other witchers and sorceresses. Witchers don't have children. Yes, friends will die and it will be sad, but you will make new friends.

I don't think so. There's plenty of ways to make sex interesting when your mate is a sorcerer :p. Not that sex is a very important factor in deciding to become a witcher, seriously.

You have been designed to fight monsters, but you don't HAVE to always fight monsters. You have the witcher abilities, and you can choose to use them to kill monsters, but you don't have to. You can use them for anything, or just your enjoyment.

Last edited:
you are stripped from emotions, so u dont feel sadness, the only moment geralt felt sadness and actaully went beyond witcher limitations is where he also dies or commits suicide in that crone's house once he finds the medallion, but cant stand the pain of losing CIRI.

Witchers clearly feel emotions...
That is mostly an act and steeling themselves to the world. Both a card that allows them to be hypocrites and a shield...

He has all his emotions. So does Vesemir. So does Lambert and Eskel and Letho.

Exactly, Geralt likes to play that card, but as the other characters often point out, he realy does feel, even if he doesn't want to admit it!

Exactly, Geralt likes to play that card, but as the other characters often point out, he realy does feel, even if he doesn't want to admit it!

I got the feeling that his ability to feel emotions was reduced, but clearly not absent. Maybe it is harder for him to form emotional attachments to other people, but he still does it obviously. Like with Ciri, Yen and and his friends.

I wouldn't. Witcher mutation takes away a lot of emotions, one of the things I like most in my life is being able to laugh (stereotypes saying Germans have no sense for humor are definitely not true)

I wouldn't. Witcher mutation takes away a lot of emotions, one of the things I like most in my life is being able to laugh (stereotypes saying Germans have no sense for humor are definitely not true)

Witchers can laugh.

Yeah I think the mutations blunt or inhibit emotoins but don't completely remove them, contrary to popular belief.

Now, would I chose to become a witcher? Sure. But I would prefer to be a sorcerer if I had the choice.

I'd do it in a heartbeat if it the witcher trials weren't so risky. But because of that, the ones who DO survive and become actual witchers should realize that they're actually somewhat lucky compared to many other people.

They shouldn't even care much if they're treated as social outcast by the majority since they don't even need to care what those people think of them - just do the job, get the coin & move on. What's more, they even have the opportunity to pass judgement on them if they think they did something beyond forgiveness, or they can invoke their very convenient "witcher code" of neutrality and often stay out of matter unless there really is no other choice. Most people in the world of the witcher have no such choices(hell, many people in our world don't have as many choices as witchers). Just think:

- Assimilated nonhumans: These guys have it the worst. They're treated with disdain by their very most people and are often the ones who take the beating for the actions of the Scoia'tael. At the same time, the Scoia'tael rarely don't give two shits about them, perhaps with some exceptions. The more radical groups would even treat them as traitors. And they're not warriors, they don't have the luxury of just doing the job & move on like a witcher does. They have to live there and endure the discrimination while not being able to do much.

- Peasants and other citizens of small, random villages: Besides the fact that they're not treated with the discrimination the assimilated nonhumans are, they really don't have it much better. They're often on the receiving ends of wars or political conflicts, them mattering little to their own country. Scoia'tael prey on them, monsters prey on them and plagues are deadlier to them than to people living in towns due to little-to-no medical support.

- Scoia'tael: As warriors, they can defend themselves against some threats such as military forces & weaker monsters and have the option to be the aggressor against people living in villages. Obviously, we all know that there's plenty of downsides like being hunted by pretty much all the North and accepted nowhere(well, there was Vergen IF it was successfully defended for a while but so much for that now). On the flipside, they have chosen this life. Most of them should be content with the idea that they'll die in battle. The very fact that they have that choice makes them somewhat more fortunate than peasants & common folk living outside of cities, IMO.

- People living in the poor quarters of towns or large cities: They might have it as worst or better than the ones in small villages, trading off the safety of a city's walls & city guards for possibly worst living conditions due to the city's expenses and them not cultivating crops, growing animals, etc like the peasants do. It depends on which village you compare them to I guess. Some might consider them less fortunate than Scoia'tael, though I suppose it depends on what city we're talking about.

- Common soldiers: I remember what Zyvik said to Geralt in a conversation(depending on what you tell him) when in the Kaedweni camp. It was that he & witchers in general don't have to die on someone's orders. Witchers risk their life on their own accord and they can also refuse contracts. Just imagine soldiers refuse to fight when their king say's so because they don't think the risk's worth it. Yea, it ain't happening.

- Mercenaries: I remember Adam Pangratt telling Geralt that mercenary might be the surest profession these days, a sign of the times, and I couldn't help but agree with the guy. They can swear allegiance to a country if they so desire & become regular soldiers - if they're good, I'm almost sure one of the northern kings would gladly take them. Thought I personally would avoid working for Emhyr as a merc - guy might throw you away Letho style once you & your group are no longer useful. But that's a choice they have if they somehow think the soldier's life would be better, which a lot probably don't.

So, Witchers who DO SURVIVE the trials should really consider themselves fortunate compared to others. If they ever so think they're less fortunate than a soldier or mercenary then they have little right to complain because it's THEIR CHOICE. I think every king would jump at the opportunity of hiring a witcher as a bodyguard, if the witcher gave the word. Plenty of wealthy merchants who seek protection for their goods would do the same. You can say there's plenty of scummy ones that aren't worthwhile for a witcher to sell his services to, but that's really not the case for all of them. Even assuming all of them are scum, the low-ranking soldiers who serve such a lord don't have much say in the matter either way.

I didn't even get into the whole immunity to disease & long-life thing, heh.

That being said, assuming I was a peasant, poor or middle class citizen, a common soldier or mercenary, I'd become go through the trials straight away if I'd get enough info from the mage supervising the trial the witchers I'm training with that I'd have a good chance of making it. I'd try to get a medical analysis through magic of my body beforehand, as much as the magic in the witcher world allows to that is :p

I'd do it in a heartbeat if it the witcher trials weren't so risky. But because of that, the ones who DO survive and become actual witchers should realize that they're actually somewhat lucky compared to many other people.

Yeah, but that is the whole point, weighing the risks vs the benefits. If there was no risk in becoming a semi-immortal with superhuman qualities, it would be a no-brainer.

I'd do it regardless of my social status in the Witcher universe.

Top Bottom