Xbox Magazine Review

+
Xbox Magazine Review

I chanced upon a review of Witcher 2 EE in Xbox Magazine while I was out the other day. Its score was 85/100 (ME3 got 95/100, for comparison). The following were listed as "cons" for the game:

-Information Overload
-Sparse equipment upgrades
-Texture pop-in

The pop-in is a legitimate complaint, but the other two? I guess I should have expected this, but I didn't expect them to say "GAME TOO SMART" and "NEED CONSTANT REWARDS" so blatantly.

What do you guys think? Is this a characteristic of Xbox 360 players, a characteristic of console players, a characteristic of a brain-dead journalist, or are all of these complaints legitimate?

When it was first announced, some of my friends questioned whether 360 players could even appreciate a game like TW2. I told them it was fairly consolized compared to the first anyway, so with a few tweaks it would probably be fine. Now I'm wondering if they were right.

I was afraid of this - those first two complaints might not bode well for its reception on consoles. But the last criticism is valid.

....wait a minute, how did they get the EE? It just went gold.

i have a ps3 and besides Armored core 5 , Dark Souls and some sport games i'am missing any depth in games on consoles ...so yes @ least comapnies think console gamers don't want to think...
So i'am almost everyday playing on my pc

can't understand the points

-Information Overload
is the reviewer talking about story? or soemthing else? If it's items and world(information) it wasn't enough for me

-Sparse equipment upgrades
I thought it were too many upgrades ... hated that you could find a better silver sword on every corner and a witcher steel blade was made by normal smiths? (hello?) not conform to the books...

Information overload? seriously no offense, I always wanted a console but are those guys too dumb beyond simple understanding? even close to that?

Information overload.

lmao, the story is going to be wayyy to complex for the average gamer. I'm sure they'll dumb it down to appeal to a larger crowd in the future. It's inevitable.

I'd blame the writer rather than all Xbox gamers. Game writing (or journalism, as some jokers call it) is pisspoor at the best of times.

You're right i was being too harsh. If they take an interest in the story it's not too much. If they don't follow all the details though they'll be lost, but that's true for whatever platform.

Adonai- said:
I'd blame the writer rather than all Xbox gamers. Game writing (or journalism, as some jokers call it) is pisspoor at the best of times.

This. A few other things to remember guys. This game ain't exactly mainstream. It simply doesn't have broad appeal, so it's going to get mixed reviews. This is a GOOD thing. It means the devs didn't churn out another cookie cutter game that people are used to. Also, 95 for ME3 says it all. Bioware could crap on a plate and critics would rave.

lol I chuckled

Wtf? Sparse equipment upgrades? There are a ton! Oils, enchantments, runes just about everywhere.

I just hope most of them make it past the Prologue or the first act.

Adityathewarriorwithin said:
Information overload? seriously no offense, I always wanted a console but are those guys too dumb beyond simple understanding? even close to that?
Tbh, It's quite understandable if you haven't played the first game. It can be confusing.

As for sparse equipment upgrades. That's just stupid. The game is all about story and choices and consequences, not about upgrading your gear.

Wish I would've gotten a pic of the magazine or something so I could give context to the "information overload" BS.

I'm not sure how they got the EE. CDPR must have sent out an early copy.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-enhanced-edition
Here's the metacritic page to confirm I'm not bullshitting. Unfortunately you can't read the review online.

Yeah. If anything, the game could do with, say, halving the amount of equipment. I felt like I was finding swords and armor every five minutes.

At least you have options. That's how I think of it. I mean you could always sell armor and buy it back if you want.

Kodaemon said:
Yeah. If anything, the game could do with, say, halving the amount of equipment. I felt like I was finding swords and armor every five minutes.

My take on the armor and weapons you loot is they are really there to sell. At least that's what I did. The only real upgrades are the unique ones the game gives us or the ones you craft. And this part I think they got right cause you have to choose carefully.

(Google Translator)

Xbox-Journalist Protection System:

Attention, attention! Information Overload! Self-destruction of your last two brain cells in 10 seconds! Self-destruction of unnecessary cells protect the body against overheating, and multiorgan failure!

I liked the subversion of the loot system TW1 had, where 90% of stuff you found was worse than your starting equipment. It made sense in-universe. Not to mention the limited equipment slots. Those were FANTASTIC subversions of the standard crpg cliches. In TW2, why the heck are there so many silver swords around? How is it, that the legendary Raven armor turns out to be near-useless so fast?

85 is still pretty great score btw. And since I've not played ME3 I can't comment its quality.

Without the first part introducing the world, lore and characters the game can probably feel a bit unsatisfactory in some ways for some people, since it's a very heavy game in terms of story. That could explain the score.

So am I understanding this correctly? They publish a review BEFORE the game is officially released on the system? How? Why? What?

I somehow don't believe CDPRed would send review copies a month before (the guy must have spent some days playing the game - unless he is bullshitting) the premiere.

Something's off here.

And information overload? What are they? Braindead? I would argue there was information underload in TW2 PC, but not the other way round...

Kodaemon said:
I liked the subversion of the loot system TW1 had, where 90% of stuff you found was worse than your starting equipment. It made sense in-universe. Not to mention the limited equipment slots. Those were FANTASTIC subversions of the standard crpg cliches. In TW2, why the heck are there so many silver swords around? How is it, that the legendary Raven armor turns out to be near-useless so fast?

Because there's something better than the Raven armor, and then there is something better than that. I wouldn't say the gear progression is perfect, but it gives us more choices which equals more tactics in battle. Do I want gear to regen armor or health? A sword to poison, or bleed? I'm one of the few who wished there was more of this in the first game.

There will be other negative reviews, that we can be sure of, and buyers ranting too. It's just not your mainstream XBox game, I wouldn't get too worked up about it. I'm looking forward to Yahtzee's and Jim Sterling's reviews though. I bet those two guys will trample the EE under their feet, just to spite everybody who pointed out their original reviews were off the mark. You gotta love narcissists ;)

Top Bottom