HC: First Impression (Poll)

+

What's your first Impression of HC after trying out the PTR?

• Excellent

Votes: 34 9.2%
  • Good

Votes: 76 20.7%
  • Not sure yet

Votes: 76 20.7%
  • Bad

Votes: 166 45.1%
  • D'oh!

Votes: 16 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Newsflash: the % means jack. Less than 150 people voted, out of the hundred thousands that play the game (and the eventual new players).

This is not the first time i've seen "opinion polls" with a ridicolous number of voters and then people bodly claiming "the majority says that...". You aren't the majority of anything.
What about an official voting inside the game then, supported of CDRed? Only if they have the guts of course.

That's actually a funny moment to start playing TESL. Recently they released an UI overhaul and the reactions were not very positive to stay polite. Haven't played it for a while, but I think I should look at it myself.

edit:
Game looks worse, animations used to be much smoother and the sound was better. Don't know why they changed it, all those things were actually really good.

Not possible to bother me since i've never played it before haha. Gameplay always matters to me the most anyway so I doubt it would have been a big issue.

It's just unreal 2 years of beta end up with a whole new game and it's unfinished on so many levels.

I am sure they spend the majority of time for thronebreaker and build around that "gwent". They sacrifice this game for thronebreaker.

DMaster2

I don't get it...
You said, "doomsayers" must wait 'til we can play the game. Now we can play the new "Gwent". And most of the "doomsayers" listed the problems with this game. And it is a long list, not just "i don't like it".
But some question to You, who always defended this new game:
- How does hand limit improved the game?
- Show me 10 really interesting abilities, please!
- How does 2 rows improved the game? What was done, what with three rows was not possible?
- How does it feel, when you throw cards in the dirt?
- How does 2 Bronzes make the game better?
- Where are the archetypes?

I have many questions, but I don't want to bother You. I really want to know, what You see in this new "Gwent".

How do you even begin thinking, that the product you have now is anywhere near the promise you have given in your announcement. How is this going back to the roots? Which part of it? you must be taking a p***.

You either accept it, adapt and enjoy the HC gwent or... you can leave. Not much else for an option.

Thats the problem. People will leave and the game could die. This game has potential. And that would be a shame.

I guess the other vote for row removal was also a fake majority with 90% opposed to row removal.
Its just couple hundred people, no biggie. What could go wrong?

Most people like the visuals, most people would prefer the game with gold imunnity or even pre mid winter? If this is the case, just mix both. Simple solution.

Now if this is really not the reallity of things CDPR will have the data to judge that. Only they know for sure.
If its a sucess or not.

If people are playing more, and gaining traction, this could just not be the game for me.

But the gold immunity patch (and the one before) this was the best CCG on the market hands down. It had everything but visuals.

I haven't played much, but i get the feeling that half of the game cards are "Deal X damage / Boost ally by X". Can't get more boring than than...
1 Row removed, 3rd copy of cards removed, silvers removed, spies removed, most engines removed, most archetypes removed, tutors removed, most strategy removed.

Even Midwinter update was more complex than this.

Why have most of the players have to play the PTR? Just made a poll ingame at the end of the ptr inside the ptr. This way you will get a representiv poll.
Because what matters is how many people will play and enjoy HC gwent. Hence it's pointless to do it unless the majority of the current players (if not all of them) played the new version. Not everyone look for web news, i bet a % don't even know there is a PTR going on, or simply can't be bothered downloading a trial version that will end in a few days.

Ultimately what matters is how HC will do in the medium long term. If the population stay the same in term of numbers or increase, CDPR was right. If it decrease, you are right and this game is doomed. Take your pick.

I don't get it...
You said, "doomsayers" must wait 'til we can play the game. Now we can play the new "Gwent".
Yeah for a whole day.
Post automatically merged:

Thats the problem. People will leave and the game could die. This game has potential. And that would be a shame.
This game didn't had a future in the current version either way. So they take a bet to give this game a long term future. Some people will leave? That's life. It happens in every game out there, even successful ones like Hearthstone or Overwatch. The important thing is that new people come in and stay.

Because what matters is how many people will play and enjoy HC gwent. Hence it's pointless to do it unless the majority of the current players (if not all of them) played the new version. Not everyone look for web news, i bet a % don't even know there is a PTR going on, or simply can't be bothered downloading a trial version that will end in a few days.

Ultimately what matters is how HC will do in the medium long term. If the population stay the same in term of numbers or increase, CDPR was right. If it decrease, you are right and this game is doomed. Take your pick.

Yeah for a whole day.

This game didn't had a future in the current version either way. So they take a bet to give this game a long term future. Some people will leave? That's life. It happens in every game out there, even successful ones like Hearthstone or Overwatch. The important thing is that new people come in and stay.
With this attitude it doesnt matter at all, what we say or criticise. No poll is usefull because most of player base is at Forum/reddit whereever. Is is for any game, not only gwent. Even if we put a poll ingame, you would say, the voters just dont play long enough. You prefere to wait, till we, the doomsayers, will leave and the damage is done.
To compete at the market, gwent is in need for a community, that cares for the game and dont go away after a couple of bad choices. If the only poll you accept is leaving the hole game, than any further discussion with you is pointless, because nothing we say is correct and all CDRed-doing is nessescary.

This game didn't had a future in the current version either way. So they take a bet to give this game a long term future.

Agreed.

Some people will leave? That's life. It happens in every game out there, even successful ones like Hearthstone or Overwatch. The important thing is that new people come in and stay.

Yes, but the new players part it depends how you market your game, and who your target audience is.

If GWENT targets people who want a deep game, with tactics, where you can pinpoint where you failed as a player and not due to RNG, theres a market for that.
Remember Lifecoach videos? How happy he was with GWENT? Those are the type of players that you need to market the game for.
From there the game would gain traction and grow.

However if you target casuals. Well they are on HS. They already have a game that fullfill their need, and that has been around for a long time.
You wont beat the guys who hold the monopoly by playing their own game by their own rules.
Its doomed to fail. Just like the WoW clones all failed. You wont beat the industry leader buy imitating him.

Since this rework is yet again another simplification of well, everything. Its market towards the last group.

So...let's see.

- Regarding the 2 rows, 2 bronzes, well, the obvious thing happened. Cards obsolete/scrapped, archetypes obsolete, less consistency, more rng.
- It's clearly obvious now ( as if it wasn't before ) that the only purpose of the 2 rows is a future mobile version of the game. As others have pointed out, the row related abilities would work equally well, if not better, with 3 rows.
Also, the whole extreme makeover: 2 rows, bad combination of 2-d and 3-d, silly looking 3-d leaders, is a sad and disappointing attempt to copycat other popular ccgs ( is this really CDPR we're talking about? The company that produced the Witcher series and set an example for other companies to follow? )
I understand that it's a business and CDPR thought that a mobile version and all the silly glitz, lego leaders etc will attract more casual players, but at least have the courtesy to be upfront about it. Anyway...
- The hand limit and draw 3 cards in both round 2 and 3 is plain horrible. Play your bad cards in round 1, leave enough room in your hand for the 6 cards you're going to draw. Card advantage? What's this?
When to pass or dry pass? Another strategic move dead.
- I like the new mechanics, but when a ton of cards of all the factions have order, charge etc, the gameplay becomes too complex, in a tedious way. Also i think that charge and zeal would be more compelling and appropriate if the were faction specific. NR is the obvious candidate.

More specific thoughts/rants:

- As a ST player i'm appalled at what they did with it. The faction that has always been the scorchy, controly type. What does ST have now? A few ambush traps, not even a handful and one of which they stole from DB Trapper, ( they even changed the ambush units :mad: ) and crappy boost, boost, boost.
Could they have butchered Ithlinne, maybe the most iconic ST card and one of the more unique cards in the game, more? 5 points, boost a unit by 4? ( or 4, boost by 5, i don't remember for sure ) Seriously? And it costs 12 provisions? I have a better idea: Ithlinne, 15 point spy, boost a random leprechaun who lives in an oak tree in Brokilon.
In all seriousness now, would it be that hard to give her back her previous version? Make her spy, tweak her power accordingly and let her keep her unique ability.
What other good cards does ST have? Aglais? What does she do now? You can effing boost her a lot, what an amazing card! Schirru? Nah, too good. Let's give him an ability that may work, after going through some hoops. Milva, while not the best card, is pretty entertaining and unique. Now, yes you guessed correctly, she boosts!
Overall i think ST has the more bland golds, but i'm biased, so i could be wrong.
I almost forgot the Farseer! Reveal a random ( i'm not even going to comment on that ) card.... Reveal? Is this a joke? A bug? Wtf? ( Vanilla Neutral Triss has a similar Reveal ability, why, jut why? Maybe CDPR should make Gwent: the NG card game ).
- Similarly to Farseer and Triss: Crow's eye, neutral, triggers deathwish ability. Faction identity for the win!
- They changed so many cards, but they left untouched all the disgusting NG cards that mess with your deck, look at your cards or steal them before you can play them ( i think they even added a couple more ) I can't, for the life of me, understand how they think those cards are appropriate for the game. That is not control, that's trolling.
Also, NG is the only faction that can counter your leader and your mulligans, and decoy a card, a gold no less. How fair and lovely...
- They totally killed consistency but SK is the only faction that can build a deck who can reliably find/play all their cards. Awesome!
- Am i the only one that finds the constant grunting, growling and mumbling of the leaders really irritating?
- The game is totally different, there are so many things to get used to and are confusing. Did they have to swap abilities between cards and change the names of several cards for no apparent reason?

SuperTL;DR. Impression...bad. I mean, i get why some people like it. Especially if you are an Arena fan, the game is super fun. Because that's what the decks are like now. Finely tuned Arena decks. But if you are more of a Constructed kind of person, who favors consistency and archetype synergies, well....too bad for you ( and me ).

Don't forget to put your witchers in your deck and welcome to Gwent: the Witcher card game! ;)

Note for the moderator: Let me preemptively tell you that the post is not intended as feedback ( since day 1 of the OB i cared enough to take the time and give feedback/report bugs several times. I'm not interested in doing that anymore ). It's just a first impression/rant post. :)

Agreed.

Yes, but the new players part it depends how you market your game, and who your target audience is.

If GWENT targets people who want a deep game, with tactics, where you can pinpoint where you failed as a player and not due to RNG, theres a market for that.
Remember Lifecoach videos? How happy he was with GWENT? Those are the type of players that you need to market the game for.
From there the game would gain traction and grow.

However if you target casuals. Well they are on HS. They already have a game that fullfill their need, and that has been around for a long time.
You wont beat the guys who hold the monopoly by playing their own game by their own rules.
Its doomed to fail. Just like the WoW clones all failed. You wont beat the industry leader buy imitating him.

Since this rework is yet again another simplification of well, everything. Its market towards the last group.
I don't really know who they are mass targeting, that's something they know internally. What i know is that the more people play (and enjoy) gwent, the brighter the future of this game will be.

Whatever their pick it is, i hope, for this game's future, it's the correct one.

As for rng, it seems like a card game can't escape it. HS have it (pretty heavy), MTG have it (land system, where you can actually lose a game without playing a single card), Artifact will have it (according to the reports).

As long gwent feels good to play, i'm game. I didn't even played the original gwent (because my pc can't handle the witcher III) so it's not like i have issues with "nostalgia" (3 rows and stuff).

I don't really know who they are mass targeting, that's something they know internally. What i know is that the more people play (and enjoy) gwent, the brighter the future of this game will be.

Whatever their pick it is, i hope, for this game's future, it's the correct one.

As for rng, it seems like a card game can't escape it. HS have it (pretty heavy), MTG have it (land system, where you can actually lose a game without playing a single card), Artifact will have it (according to the reports).

As long gwent feels good to play, i'm game. I didn't even played the original gwent (because my pc can't handle the witcher III) so it's not like i have issues with "nostalgia" (3 rows and stuff).

HS has alot, mtg has some, and yes Artifact will have tons.
Gwent was unique in this department.

All i hope is they take the feedback, see the data and make the final "patch" and make something really good.

And you need to play W3. Not for just Gwent. Its a 10/10 game. Its over 100 Hours guranteed.

Really really bad and boring, all they had to do with gameplay was dial back midwinter and work from there
Instead, they completely stripped the game down, everything feels way too simple, there's no identity, barely any synergy and the ones left are incredibly boring minor stuff like "buff x thing by 1", vesemir is just a minor witcher foltest and that's pretty much the only synergy witchers have with trial of the grasses, which is also a boring buff.
Alchemy is just completely gone, removed, finished, this is just depressing.

totally agreed. Animations so many and so slow. Will there be 2 versions PTR/normal?

Thanks for answering to my questions. ;)
Come on, didn't you said you didn't wanted to bother me? At least if you type a courtesy, it would be appreciated if you actually meant it instead of the usual acidic sarcasm.

Since you asked, you shall receive a reply.

1) Hand limit force people to stop drypassing. Which is imho a big improvement. I always prefer 3 fought out rounds that 1 or even 2 rounds with drypasses for CA. Maybe you guys find it fun, i don't. It's very annoying going blue and knowing that if you can't win the round on -1 you will 100% lose the last say because oppo will 100% drypass r2 if he have a wincon (letho-regis, scorch, ciri nova, etc...).

2) Gaunter O'Dimm, Usurper (this guy will be annoying), Keltullis, Vattier, Saesenthiss (this ability alone open up a ton of deckbuilding possibilities), Letho, Sihil, Letho Kingslayer, Ihuarraquax, Phoenix and much much more. Notice those are only new effects. We still have very interesting effects from the beta (ex. Borkh and co.)

3) Better visuals, better UI, easier to balance. Most importantly, swarm isn't affected at all.

4) It feels great! I just love the battlefield, unlike the dull wooden plastic-looking board we have now. Now it feels like a real battle.

5) More variety of cards. Finally we'll stop seeing 10% of the cards used, because with 2 bronzes and the provision system you will need to use even less "valuable" cards, that are cheaper.
It's also vital for the developers, since they now can develop and release in the future expansions a variety of cards and effects knowing people will sometimes find a room for them in their deck. Tech cards (ex. Dimeritium Shackles) which never saw any play in current gwent can be a very viable pick depending on the meta that will be formed.

Currently the only way for them to make new cards (esp. bronzes) is to powercreep and/or make new archetypes. That's not a solution i wish for this game (see YuGiOh). With this change, they have much more design space and will be able to provide bronzes in the years to come that can have their places in the deck without powercreeping current content.

6) You may want to look at the cards again if you can't find them. And personally, the less of them i see the more i'm happy. Never liked the archetype-centric games like HS and Yugioh. And in Magic, i never liked tribal decks (dinos, merfolks, etc...) while i much prefer to let my creativity flow when making a deck (atm i'm having a blast with a mono black deck with open the graves, reassembling skeleton and a crapton of sacrifice effects)

Good enough?

With this attitude it doesnt matter at all, what we say or criticise. No poll is usefull because most of player base is at Forum/reddit whereever. Is is for any game, not only gwent. Even if we put a poll ingame, you would say, the voters just dont play long enough. You prefere to wait, till we, the doomsayers, will leave and the damage is done.
To compete at the market, gwent is in need for a community, that cares for the game and dont go away after a couple of bad choices. If the only poll you accept is leaving the hole game, than any further discussion with you is pointless, because nothing we say is correct and all CDRed-doing is nessescary.
We don't need any poll, especially after one day. People will vote with their time. If they play HC is a success, if they won't play HC will be a failure.
We just have to wait. Btw it's not like those polls will make the devs make a 180° shift. The design is this, at best we can see improvements.

For example i've suggested on reddit that the player that lose r1 should get a 1 point token that is removed from the field during his end turn. This means drypass won't be possible for the player that win and that should solve some of the concerns i've seen.
Not sure how good or viable this suggestion is tho, i'm no expert in this field.

HS has alot, mtg has some, and yes Artifact will have tons.
Gwent was unique in this department.

All i hope is they take the feedback, see the data and make the final "patch" and make something really good.

And you need to play W3. Not for just Gwent. Its a 10/10 game. Its over 100 Hours guranteed.
Heh i'm just waiting for my old pc to break down on his own. While i have already saved the money to purchase a new one (and then i WILL play it), i'm not comfortable with throwing away stuff that still do their work.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Damn, i havent tried this PTR... i was going to, to check what will come out on the 23rd, and more importantly to me, to see if my PC can run this new Gwent.

But after reading all this negative feedback, im leaning more towards returning to the old Gwent that i stopped playing months ago, to get a last taste of it, since as bad as it is, it still sounds way better than this new "out of Beta" version.

Damn, i havent tried this PTR... i was going to, to check what will come out on the 23rd, and more importantly to me, to see if my PC can run this new Gwent.

But after reading all this negative feedback, im leaning more towards returning to the old Gwent that i stopped playing months ago, to get a last taste of it, since as bad as it is, it still sounds way better than this new "out of Beta" version.
Big mistake. Try it. Plenty of people found it very fun (myself included).

Even reddit that started with a bit of kneejerk reaction (because humans have an hard time adapting and changing apparently) are now much more positive in their feedback, while the game have still some issues and that's perfectly normal.

Download it (should take no more than half an hour), try it and judge for yourself, don't let a few decide for yourself, for the better or worse.

After making a few decks and playing a handful of matches I can post some pros and cons.. I've been here since the beginning anyway I'll leave some feedback

: first of all Sabbath I've and well.. My opponent plays Sabbath. I lock him, he then gets destroyed and a copy of him is created and then buffed with 5 point coin.. I pass.. He is now renewed and buffed and given immunity by leader.. Not a good introduction to the game.

: no faction identity
: card abilities not interesting or lore specific, like they randomly pulled abilities from a hat.
: handsize is a bummer and I dislike how if you don't play enough cards by round end your cards are drawn and banished.. Terrible... At least put them back in deck.
:card effects such as damage, lock, and destroyed cards are very very lame.
: cards feel meaningless when played
: when leaders are played I also have to play another card with my leader.
: more rng and less consistently in decks.
: not a fan of new deck building provision costs hurt deck building.
: games are very slow played and overly long.
: passing and card advantage feel meaningless now.
: less architypes
: passing after each play slows down the game.
: I thought the game was suppose to be gory and adult, it is not
: too much boosting

I know there are more. I'm hoping some rebalancing will occur. I understand current gwent would not survive. I'm still remaining optimistic as the cards look nice. The ptr was a shock to my system though

Top Bottom