HC: First Impression (Poll)

+

What's your first Impression of HC after trying out the PTR?

• Excellent

Votes: 34 9.2%
  • Good

Votes: 76 20.7%
  • Not sure yet

Votes: 76 20.7%
  • Bad

Votes: 166 45.1%
  • D'oh!

Votes: 16 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I didn't get to play super long today because of some depressing reasons but I didn't see a lot of faction identity. Did you see any?
Faction identity took the biggest hit.
There's still some kind of identity in the factions but the problem is that these identities are only present in 2-3 cards making it not an identity but more of a gimmick, in nilfgaard you have top card of deck shenanigans with about 4 cards, around 2 witcher related cards and a couple other stuff, it's just random sprinkles that are not enough to make anything worthwhile.

It just feels half assed if i'm being fully honest, that or the one in charge of gameplay has absolutely no idea what made gwent so enjoyable pre mid winter (i'd go as far to say this last stretch of pre hc gwent was actually really enjoyable too)

Biggest killer for me is the loss of card identity and character and instead replacing it with "buff x unit(s) by x". Striving for balance is one thing (as for whether we actually have balance is yet to be seen but I will add that from what I have personally observed there are some cards that seem useless with little to no synergy, akin to current Gwent) but at the cost of what makes Gwent, Gwent and, well, unique and diverse game mechanics? The teams minds arent in the right place if you ask me.
CDPR said they would go back to their roots and stay true to the Witcher lore. I can not say they are people of their word.

Really really bad .Alchemy is just completely gone, removed, finished, this is just depressing.
I hate alchemy, but i didnt want archetype removed, just small nerfs, like -1 to viper would make me happy .
But cdpr just destroyed everything with the hammer, feelsbadman. :mad:

I can't cast my vote because i am not represented in the poll. Here's my "vote":

I am cautiously optimistic.

It's my first impression and it will probably change later. I hope there is enough time to fix all issues till the release.

What is good:
  • The overall interface is pretty good.
  • Faction boards look fantastic.
  • 3D leaders are fun. Morvran is so polite when emoting :)
  • New order feature is great.
  • Ability to edit a deck right before a game.
What is bad:
  • In terms of optimization, it's pretty sad. I need a new laptop for the best gaming experience.
  • Disconnects happen and it's definitely NOT my connection issue.
  • Sometimes the leader's voice sounds with echo.

It's not there yet.
Far from it.

I'm playing Magic Arena at the same time and there's no comparison.
Magic Arena is Awesome. Fast paced, Great sound effects, addictive. Cards clashing, 3D animations. Monsters coming out of the cards, a lot of different Background Boards... etc.
Just Awesome.

This being a BETA is still it's missing a lot:
Missing sound FX. Pace is very slow. "Card Combat" isn't very exciting. Etc, etc, etc...

Doesn't make a very good first impression.

But We'll see how it all comes together once it hit's 1.0release in a month or so.

I loved Gwent when I first had my hands on those solitaire cards in Witcher 3. They were not much but I loved the idea and enjoyed it thoroughly regardless. I remember that I craved for a standalone Gwent and joined the community during the open beta. And spent hundreds of dollars to have any cards that I wanted. I remember playing Gwent almost everyday until the game told me there were no more daily rewards. I loved it and obsessed over it despite the obvious flaws. I stuck around when many people left Gwent due to ST dwarfs and coin flip being prevalent on the ladder. I am still playing Gwent daily despite there hasn't been an update in 5 months. If what I have seen in the PTR is the future of Gwent, I don't know what to say but remain heartbroken.
I am offering you a sad toast for this last passage, as I felt how you feel, just because it's how I feel myself.

- I think the board should be cleaner (the rows where you place the cards in), so the cards can stand out better.

This not the only reason imo. They need to consider colorblind people too. Sometimes I also find it hard to distinguish X from Y.

Overall I agree with everything said.

I played 4 matches today:
1 time forfeited because of a major misplay
3 times my opponent's connection lost...2 times only Alt+F4 helped.
Not a great statistic...

Some copy&paste from the feedback thread:

- UI:
The new UI looks way too overloaded and confusing. The old UI represented the information I needed a lot clearer than it's the case now. I could clearly see how many points are one which row, what's the score and whose turn it is. Now this information is squeezed at the right side of the board battlefield. I don't like the 3d leaders (or 3D at all) and although I wanted a more dark and 'witchery' looking board you've overdone it and the board looks too dark and dirty now. Honestly the witcher 3 board is still my favourite.

- 2 rows:
I was very sceptical about this change and I still am. The reach concept does work with 3 rows as well. So do cards with one prefered row. Having two different abilites on two different rows, feels a bit like 'fake meaning', because you will just play for ability most of the time. Everything else feels just worse on two rows. I don't care for big cards so what advantages do two rows have? It feels like visuals reasons were the driving force behind this chance.

- Positioning:
Small point: I've always wanted that positioning becomes more important (where on a row you play the card), but there are like 10 or less cards which effect adjacent units, that's it. Disappointing.....

- Hand size limit:
The combination of the hand size limit + 3 redraws per round makes passing in many situations pointless. Passing at the right time was one of gwents biggest skills....what's the point of this change? Drypassing is a symptom of the disadvantage of going first and not the real problem.....

- Coinflip-fix:
Don't know yet how good this solution is, but I appreciate that there is one.

- Card Design:
That's my biggest concern. A whole lot of boost, damage and destroy....boring. Order and thrive abilites make the game a bit more interesting, but that won't be enough to persuade me to keep playing (or actually restart playing, because MW dispersed me). Cards used to be much more than just points: weather immunity, gold immunity, resilience,....the lack of such things were already a problem before HC and it got worse.
Positive note although some people don't like it: Less tutors, couldn't stand this concept of endless chains of cards playing other cards....maybe you've overdone it a little bit, but I like it more than before.

- Archetype Design:
Actually strongly related to card design. Archetypes are incredibly boring and they all feel uncomplete. Gwent used to be an archetypal game build around synergies. MW replaced a lot of synergies with tutoring cards. Homecoming replaced those with....a whole lot of nothing. Having only 2 bronzes makes it all a lot worse. I absolutely hate this change since the first time I've heard it and do it even more now. I want this highly synergistic game from CB back, that was Homecoming's task! You made it worse.....

- Weather:
We've seen a few different iterations:
CB: symmetrical, weather immunity used to be a thing and it was damn swingy
OB: more balanced than during CB, but assymetrical weather and loss of weather immunity made it feel a bit boring imho
HC: even more balanced than during OB, because its effect is timely limited (at least bronze weather); going down to two rows makes it even less interesting imo....
btw, did I miss one or are there exactly zero cards, which synergize with weather?

- RNG:
Anything learned from Midwinter? No.

- Provision System:
I've heard many people love it, so I guess it's a positive change. Honestly, it feels a bit limiting to me and it incentivises printing very similar cards with different stats, but the way the game is designed the system definitely makes deckbuilding more interesting. If this game was still the one heavily built around archetypes, I'd oppose the idea of having provision costs (at least for bronze cards) though.

Maybe I'll play some Witcher 2 or 3 now, remembering the good times and try to forget what has happened to gwent.

pros: it's beautiful

cons: bad ergonomy, bad intuitivity, all is blended on the same level of information.
the pass/end turn button is in a blind spot. the eyes naturally go from top left to bottom right.
everything is slow.

I can't cast my vote because i am not represented in the poll. Here's my "vote":

I am cautiously optimistic.

Optimistic discribes a future to be. Which means, right now you dont like it (or are not sure about it). If you like it right now but still think it will be better in the next updates, even there you have choice to vote for.
For example, i hate nearly all aspects of the game but I think it still can get worse. So even if i vote for "D'oh" now, it isnt wrong at all.

Boring, slow, with most cards beeing dumbed down , stripped from thematic abilities or swapped with other cards for no good reason. Horrible dissapointment. This is second iteration of unfamous Mid Winter update, " let's rework entire game, just becouse ".

800+ hours in Gwent since closed beta , 18 days to go and it's time to say goodbye and uninstall.

There are some surprisingly busted and unfair combo's being thrown about on the monsters side. Succubus and Leader power, consume or Sabbath and +4 Immune Leader power.

Mulligan makes little sense either, sometimes you get 5 goes other times 3 or 1. This game is a total mess.

First impressions from someone with 500+ hours played in the current non-PTR version of the game:

Negative:
- The gameplay felt more like Hearthstone compared to what Gwent used to be.
- The simplification of a fair amount of the gold cards makes the game more dull. Unique abilities like Ithlinne's ability to use a special card twice is far more interesting than boosting a card by 4, seeing as there are a lot of cards that seems to buff and/or damage units.
- Some cards currently on the PTR does not work as intended (According to the card descriptions). Vilgefortz pulls the cards and randomly places them and does not trigger deploy abilities. Phoenix prevents people from passing the round after hatching it (if the opponent has already passed).
- The max 9 cards per hand really screws over players who play the game correctly, as cards gets destroyed if your hand is full. The obvious solution is to stop players from pulling more cards than necessary.
- The new deck building requirement, the reduction of copies that you can have in your hand and the removal of silver cards makes it more bothersome and needlessly complicated to create quick and interesting decks.
- You no longer have your avatar, emote and border accessible and view-able while playing, which seems like a very dumb choice, as they are the primary goals for playing the ranked mode for quite a few people.
- The fact that you don't have the ability to mulligan cards after each round if you "spent them all" in the first round, REALLY SUCKS, as you more than likely will end up with dead cards that should not be in your hand in the second and third round.

Positive:
- New boards, despite the fact that a row was removed, looks great.
- The new leader system, which is clearly inspired by Hearthstone, feels like a upgrade compared to the previous version of the game.
- The Interface and menu looks better than what the non-PTR version of the game has; they feel more like something a "AAA" game would have compared to what Gwent currently has.
- Artist names are back.
- The row specific abilities are a nice addition to the game.
- CA Spies no longer exists.

Last edited:
Top Bottom