Rise of the Sword [Combat Overhaul] [Camera Options] [Misc]

+
JackBaldy said:
No, it's not related. I just had to find a creative way to interrupt attacks when dodging was capable of doing so, and then putting in a lot of checks and such to make sure that it didn't break anything else. I'm nearly finished with my testing, ran into a few road blocks but hopefully I've taken care of them all.

I feel that this method is devoid of the bugs that the AllowRun animation event code had and it's a lot more flexible when it comes to running out of your attacks.

Once I release the update, you will have to re-add the behavior files included in the mod. Just putting this out there in case anyone doesn't do so because the previous updates didn't include any changes to them.

Oh i see, thanks for the explanations, its really interesting.

I tried the mod a bit, and you totally solved the problem it seems, but now that i can do that, im wondering if you can do something about Geralt moving after a swing if i press the movement key while attacking.

The action of moving after the strike now, is kind of like "stored" even if you press it way before finishing the attack animation, and to combine different attacks with the direction keys, i usually need to anticipate by pressing A or D, but if i regret that decision, Geralt moves away.

Geraltofbsas said:
Oh i see, thanks for the explanations, its really interesting.

I tried the mod a bit, and you totally solved the problem it seems, but now that i can do that, im wondering if you can do something about Geralt moving after a swing if i press the movement key while attacking.

The action of moving after the strike now, is kind of like "stored" even if you press it way before finishing the attack animation, and to combine different attacks with the direction keys, i usually need to anticipate by pressing A or D, but if i regret that decision, Geralt moves away.

I'm not sure what you mean by stored. Essentially, if you pressed a movement key when you're able to dodge during an attack animation, Geralt will run out of an attack. This behavior doesn't occur when you are holding the attack keys.

And while Geralt is running from an attack, you're still capable of attacking, dodging, etc. I'll try putting up a video at some point.

It might be that you're getting used to when you can run out of attacks. With some attacks, you can even run out of them (Or dodge them in the original game or mod version) before the attack lands.

Essentially, I made it so that you can run out of attacks when you were capable of dodging them, so that people who didn't like dodging could run if they chose to do so. There were some people who didn't care for dodging, for whatever reason, and now they have the option to either run out of the attack or dodge. In some attacks, that is really early, so it might give the illusion of storing?

I've done some quick tests, both on shorter and longer attacks, and I'm not exhibiting any kind of storing behavior. o.o

As of this writing, there's no real downside to running out of an attack, so if you happen to accidentally run out of an attack, you can still attack back immediately. Or dodge. Or throw a sign. o.o :Scratches head:

JackBaldy said:
I'm not sure what you mean by stored. Essentially, if you pressed a movement key when you're able to dodge during an attack animation, Geralt will run out of an attack. This behavior doesn't occur when you are holding the attack keys.

And while Geralt is running from an attack, you're still capable of attacking, dodging, etc. I'll try putting up a video at some point.

It might be that you're getting used to when you can run out of attacks. With some attacks, you can even run out of them (Or dodge them in the original game or mod version) before the attack lands.

Essentially, I made it so that you can run out of attacks when you were capable of dodging them, so that people who didn't like dodging could run if they chose to do so. There were some people who didn't care for dodging, for whatever reason, and now they have the option to either run out of the attack or dodge. In some attacks, that is really early, so it might give the illusion of storing?

I've done some quick tests, both on shorter and longer attacks, and I'm not exhibiting any kind of storing behavior. o.o

As of this writing, there's no real downside to running out of an attack, so if you happen to accidentally run out of an attack, you can still attack back immediately. Or dodge. Or throw a sign. o.o :Scratches head:

Oh no, you didnt understand what i meant.

What you tried to do works perfectly, and its very convenient.

The thing im talking about, is that i make an attack, and if i press a movement key before Geralt is able to move out of the animation, he finishes the animation a bit later and then still moves (one or two steps), even when im not pressing the move key anymore.

i cant record a video right now, but what i mean is that the action is stored when limited by the attack animations, though not for too long, so its not really a big problem or anything close to that.

Try making a simple quick attack, 1 left button click, and before you know you could move after enough of the animation has progressed, press one of the WASD, but dont hold it, just quickly press it and let it go before the animation could be interrupted.

If you do it too fast, like almost instantly tap WASD right after the mouse click, its ok and Geralt does not move, but just a bit later, and he will end the swing animation way after you stopped pressing the WASD and later still move a bit.

Geraltofbsas said:
Oh no, you didnt understand what i meant.

What you tried to do works perfectly, and its very convenient.

The thing im talking about, is that i make an attack, and if i press a movement key before Geralt is able to move out of the animation, he finishes the animation a bit later and then still moves (one or two steps), even when im not pressing the move key anymore.

i cant record a video right now, but what i mean is that the action is stored when limited by the attack animations, though not for too long, so its not really a big problem or anything close to that.

Try making a simple quick attack, 1 left button click, and before you know you could move after enough of the animation has progressed, press one of the WASD, but dont hold it, just quickly press it and let it go before the animation could be interrupted.

If you do it too fast, like almost instantly tap WASD right after the mouse click, its ok and Geralt does not move, but just a bit later, and he will end the swing animation way after you stopped pressing the WASD and later still move a bit.

I've tested it and I would say that's due to those attacks being able to dodge rather early. You don't really exhibit this kind of behavior in attacks with longer animations where naturally you would only be able to dodge further in the animation. I'd say that's the illusion of storing, although I could do some further testing and tweaks and see if I can come up with something better.

Honestly, we're dealing with milliseconds here in some of those attacks. o.o

I'm in the process of making tweaks and testing them, if anything, I'll keep you updated.

I'm adding other checks in to try to eliminate this kind of behavior. It might be what you're looking for. Your feedback is much appreciated. :)

I uploaded version 1.05. You were mentioned in the changelog, Geralt_of_bsas. Your feedback was of much help. :) I've also uploaded a video demonstrating the ability to run out of attacks and signs, and some other minor things like the arena enter camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_t710OyO2Q

JackBaldy said:
I uploaded version 1.05. You were mentioned in the changelog, Geralt_of_bsas. Your feedback was of much help. :)/>/> I've also uploaded a video demonstrating the ability to run out of attacks and signs, and some other minor things like the arena enter camera.

Thanks for adding me:)

You fixed the problem i had before, and i think you made running out of attacks even more responsive, though it could be an illusion.

Now the thing im wondering is, why did you remove the camera zoom-out when entering combat? because if its not really mandatory to take that out, id like it included again, or as a separate version.

The camera i want for combat is far too zoomed out to be used for the rest of the game.

The most ideal thing would be to have the current adjustable camera, and also to be able to adjust the position and zoom of the combat camera, but im not sure if thats possible.

Im finding myself getting killed quite a few times because of lack of awareness, and the fact that your mod is based in the concept of Geralt's actions always following the direction of your aim, makes it so that i cant use the camera to see my surroundings while attacking only one guy for example.

That could be solved a bit with a combat camera like the vanilla one.

Geraltofbsas said:
Thanks for adding me:)

You fixed the problem i had before, and i think you made running out of attacks even more responsive, though it could be an illusion.

Now the thing im wondering is, why did you remove the camera zoom-out when entering combat? because if its not really mandatory to take that out, id like it included again, or as a separate version.

The camera i want for combat is far too zoomed out to be used for the rest of the game.

The most ideal thing would be to have the current adjustable camera, and also to be able to adjust the position and zoom of the combat camera, but im not sure if thats possible.

Im finding myself getting killed quite a few times because of lack of awareness, and the fact that your mod is based in the concept of Geralt's actions always following the direction of your aim, makes it so that i cant use the camera to see my surroundings while attacking only one guy for example.

That could be solved a bit with a combat camera like the vanilla one.

For the current set up, you could try having a set template for what you want to be used normally during the game (The camera reset key), and when you enter combat, you could try pressing the medium distance modifier plus the zoom out key to reach an appropriate level of zoom (It's the max level of combat zoom out in the vanilla game).

This could be more convenient for someone if they could bind keys to the mouse wheel, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

The reason I changed the behavior of the camera zoom in and out during combat is that I personally did not like it and it interferes with the camera customization zoom in and out levels. Say the player wants to play in a traditional third person style view (Or even first person... O.O), in vanilla, whenever the combat camera decides to update, it would zoom out and that would no longer be an option.

Coming from games like Jedi Academy and Mount and Blade, having an up-close camera does not really interfere much with my awareness. When fighting the large group of Nekkers, while I had the zoom slightly adjusted, it was no where near the max vanilla combat zoom. With that being said ...

Maintaining two separate versions is not something I would like to do right now. :Shrugs: I'm not going to lie, adding in a customizable combat camera is seemingly possible, but it's also a lot of extra work.

Can you please do something about the rolling? Game should be called the roller 2 spammer of igni and I hate it. Please some other kind of evasion.

RedRoseMutant said:
Can you please do something about the rolling? Game should be called the roller 2 spammer of igni and I hate it. Please some other kind of evasion.

The introduction of running out of attacks should give you the options that you're looking for.

And if you're looking for something else that's not included in my mod, perhaps you're looking for another game. Unfortunately I cannot do anything in regards to that.

JackBaldy said:
The introduction of running out of attacks should give you the options that you're looking for.

And if you're looking for something else that's not included in my mod, perhaps you're looking for another game. Unfortunately I cannot do anything in regards to that.

I don't even know what the fuck that video was about, just you running around throwing random attacks

RedRoseMutant said:
I don't even know what the fuck that video was about, just you running around throwing random attacks

If you're struggling to comprehend such a simplistic video then I'm afraid there's not much anyone here can do for you. I suggest you seek immediate medical attention. :Waves:

I think RedRoseMutant is looking for another animation for evasion instead of rolling. right ?

BlackLeopard said:
I think RedRoseMutant is looking for another animation for evasion instead of rolling. right ?

I think he's just trolling based on his Youtube comments, comments that are on his Youtube page directed towards him, and the comments he's made on this particular thread.

My programming experience is only related to mathematical and engineering calculations. since you've already did a great job, where should I start learning this kind of modding ?

I couldn't get along with rolling. the pirouette move introduced in Flash's mod spins a lot. is it possible to set the evasion animation to half-pirouette ? (like the jump in your long range attack but with less distance)

BlackLeopard said:
My programming experience is only related to mathematical and engineering calculations. since you've already did a great job, where should I start learning this kind of modding ?

I couldn't get along with rolling and the pirouette move introduced in Flash's mod spins a lot. is it possible to set the evasion animation to half-pirouette ? (like the jump in your long range attack but with less distance)

The best advice I can give is to grab Notepad++, Gibbed's RED Tools, and unpack base_scripts.dzip. That's how I got started, to some degree. Once I made a change that I liked it became a chain reaction and I wanted to do more. Through a lot of trial, error, ideas, understanding, and executional creativity, Rise of the Sword was the end result.

Because there's no real manual or teacher holding your hand (To my knowledge...), it's essentially working on the inside (To some degree, there are still things you don't have access to like compiled scripts - to my knowledge) but looking from the outside. You look at what's already there and try to piece together how things function and intertwine. It's a very time consuming process, but for me it was seemingly the only option.

Google did not really yield much results in this regard. Often times I found myself using Google translate to translate some coder comments that were in Polish in hopes of finding something that could possibly be of help to what I was trying to accomplish. Good times, good times. :Shrugs:

As for the animation question of implementing half of an animation, it might be possible, but if it is, I would not know how to do it currently. I would lean towards it not being possible, but I could be wrong.

JackBaldy said:
I think he's just trolling based on his Youtube comments, comments that are on his Youtube page directed towards him, and the comments he's made on this particular thread.
I don't even have a youtube account. At least the full combat rebalanced mod delt with issues in the game. all you did was "fix" the combat. You want everyone to kiss your ass just because you made a mod? No, think again.

JackBaldy said:
The best advice I can give is to grab Notepad++, Gibbed's RED Tools, and unpack base_scripts.dzip. That's how I got started, to some degree. Once I made a change that I liked it became a chain reaction and I wanted to do more. Through a lot of trial, error, ideas, understanding, and executional creativity, Rise of the Sword was the end result.

Because there's no real manual or teacher holding your hand (To my knowledge...), it's essentially working on the inside (To some degree, there are still things you don't have access to like compiled scripts - to my knowledge) but looking from the outside. You look at what's already there and try to piece together how things function and intertwine. It's a very time consuming process, but for me it was seemingly the only option.

Thanks mate. got it

RedRoseMutant said:
I don't even have a youtube account. At least the full combat rebalanced mod delt with issues in the game. all you did was "fix" the combat. You want everyone to kiss your ass just because you made a mod? No, think again.

Right, it just so happens that Wize Minsc made similar comments on my video at about the same time you made comments on this thread. Just a coincidence.

Essentially, you want me to cater to your every need when you 1) Have not tried out my mod 2) Have not given any constructive feedback which you would be incapable of doing so even if you tried because again, you have not tried out my mod. I honestly doubt that you've even read the changelog associated with Rise of the Sword.

If you have a mod request, this thread wouldn't be the thread to make those requests. Because that's essentially what you're doing. We've already established that you cannot give constructive feedback for my mod, henceforth any suggestions you make are not related to my mod henceforth it is off topic and does not belong here.

And this is a combat mod. No one should really be surprised if it deals with things mostly related to combat. What you're doing right now is the equivalent of bashing a texture mod for not including combat enhancements or audio enhancements. o_O ...

Last but not least, I am not asking anyone to "kiss my ass." However, you certainly can't expect me to kiss your ass with that kind of behavior, can you?

RedRoseMutant said:
Thanks mate. got it :thumbup:

No problem. :)

RedRoseMutant said:
alright I just lost my temper. Will this work with full combat re-balance?

No. :Shrugs: It was even reported that there might be some possible conflict even if Full Combat Rebalance is disabled as opposed to fully uninstalled. Unfortunately, due to how mods work, this is out of my control.

Top Bottom