Can only Witchers take potions ?

+

I've been wondering if normal human beings can drink Witcher potions and gain their effects,
or if you need to have absolved the Trial of Grasses to effectively consume them.

It's been a while since I read the books, so I am not too sure about this.

The reason why I'm asking is because I need to take every single detail in consideration for my little fan project.
If I can't use alchemy I need to resort to other alternatives and this is a major point when it comes to game design.

What do you think ?

Can people who aren't Witchers take such potions or will they die of toxicity ?

Be cirious here...

Well toxidity is always a question of dose. ;) But yeah, those small doses would probably make you sick without getting you any of the benefits.
But I guess, maybe some could survive them, like the trials.

The potions are so toxic that they would kill anyone who isn't a witcher, so no.

Thought so.

Well... then uhm...
I could probably go with ointments/bandages for healing effects, or some sort of regeneration sign then.

Might be an interesting idea to have critical wounds stop health regeneration,
so that you need to bandage yourself in order to fully heal up - but I don't want the flow of the gameplay to be broken by that.

Well, thanks for your very quick help everyone !

You're making a game with Ciri? That screenie looks pretty cool.

Yup.

Go here if you want to talk about it,
until there is a proper thread.

Only through the trial of grasses can one consume potions that are otherwise fatal. However, there are potions that can heal as well as spells. But when it comes to potions, only the potions that are not very potent, can help. The thing is, you will never achieve any great effects through a potion if you have not went through the trial of grasses. So yeah... Ciri can not drink them... but on the other hand, perhaps she can since she is a sorceress as well. She might be able to cause a protection spell or endurance, but that will probably take a lot out of her. She will have to keep up the protection spell the entire time. I think she can achieve some (of the) things with sorcery/magic a lot easier.

Even Ciri has no do the test of the potions, and if i don't remember well, Geralt was the only one who has do the complete trial, the major part of the aspirant to witcher has died in this phase.

Trial of Grasses . 4 out of 10 candidates survive. . Geralt was some kind of weird survivor, too..TO GOOGLE...

"He is said to have resisted the "changes" during his childhood better than most, which encouraged his makers to perform even more dangerous experimental procedures on him"

and

"Because of that, as one of the few he was selected for additional experiments, and of the few he was the only one that survived. His white hair, completely lacking pigment, is a side effect of these experiments. "

Ok @EmperorZorn, so I actually went back to books to check something out and and there is a passage in Blood of Elves, where Triss is given White Gull potion [diluted with water] - which is basically hallucinogenic top quality alcohol. There is a couple of pages where people mention [especially sorcerers] drinking potions, but it's always regular stuff, no Witcher elixirs.

In Blood of Elves again, when Triss is sick with something Geralts gives her an unnamed Witcher elixir [they even call it like that, "...his Witcher elixir"]. Then you have a passage where Vesemir ask Ciri about potion for fighting off venom and she responds with 'Golden Oriole'. Why would they teach her about that ?

This all makes me think, that perhaps the Witchers make potions that can be taken by anyone [like Ciri in the books, when she was sick] and potions that enhance their fighting abilities, which are poison to anyone else.

Last edited:
Of course, there's also the prologue in TW1, where they prepare a potion for Triss, so yes, you're right. And I guess trainee witchers need healing for injuries and sickness before they go through the Trials, so witchers are probably knowledgeable about potions generally.

Depends on immune system. In witcher 2 tutorial geralt gave swallow to that wounded knight. He also mentioned that the potion may kill him.

I've been wondering if normal human beings can drink Witcher potions and gain their effects,
or if you need to have absolved the Trial of Grasses to effectively consume them.

It's been a while since I read the books, so I am not too sure about this.

The reason why I'm asking is because I need to take every single detail in consideration for my little fan project.
If I can't use alchemy I need to resort to other alternatives and this is a major point when it comes to game design.

What do you think ?

Be cirious here...

I would say nay. well mostly nay, but I remember that in Witcher 1 you may give a potion(let's bring gift giving back in Witcher 3) to an old woman in Outskirts. Her son is ill(or dying, I don't remember) and to alleviate the pain she would like to give him some White Gull. It don't think it was to kill him though. Or possibly it was.

And you know that Ciri took a swig of White Gull when in Kaer Morhen as well don't you? ;)

We also have Wives Tears, a remedy humans use(according to barmaid in Witcher 1) that takes away drunkeness but add, yep, you guessed it, some toxicity.

And of course Triss, being allergic to magic has to have a potion prepared for her in Witcher 1. Though she is no ordinary human is she?

Good luck with your project! :D

Last edited:
I think drinking a low toxicity potion is possible but there's a chance of death. in the prologue of TW2, Geralt would give a weak healing potion to a knight with a warning of course.

Thank you, you've all been a great help !

I think the consensus we reached here is that non-Witchers can't rely on potions,
mostly because they are too toxic to use them.
I'll improvise with different mechanics, trying to keep things interesting and fun.

If you have read Visenna's story (Geralt's mother), there is also a way for druids to heal wounds with gemstones.
It'd be an interesting alternative, but I'll have to read how exactly it works and if non-druids could apply them.

I hope I can count on your feedback, and I'll get back to ask your opinion once I reach that stage with my project.

A cirious thank you goes to all of you !

I've been wondering if normal human beings can drink Witcher potions and gain their effects
Well, maybe once ;)

But no, they can't, the won't survive most of potions. Maybe some weaker of them (White gull), but that wouldn't be much contributive for them.

Only reason, why witchers can survive this are Trials and Changes (or what is that english name for it), so that is the answer.

And good luck with your project, I think you will deserve some special achievement ;) ..

Last edited:

No, of course, not! Sure others can too, if they can find them and are suicidal enough. :)
Will ordinary humans survive them and benefit from them? Possible in some rare cases, I guess, but as a general rule, no. These potions were developed specifically for the witchers' physiology, to buff up their abilities, which humans generally do not have, and when side-effects, such as high toxicity, were not a concern.

Also it doesnt have to be witcher potions. magicians also brew their own potions to heal and live longer.

P.S. BTW zorn what is your project about?

Come to think of it, since the events in The Witcher it might be possible to find Witcher potions near the Vizima area. It is afterall where the Salamandra took the Witcher secrets.

Also, on my playthroughs I've always sold the scrolls to merchants after learning the recipes. Sorry! :comeatmebro:

Top Bottom