The Witcher 3 Wishlist

+
I like the idea of a hardcore mode but in my opinion in new vagus at least it was an annoying system to manage. I'm confident if by chance it exists in witcher 3 cdpr have created something better. It is a hard thing to get right.

I don't think he means just edibles like in the witcher 1 i think he is talking about Geralt having needs to survive. Geralt can starve to death get tired and this can effect for example the way he fights or moves. having edibles or beds you can sleep in, in many games is not really for the sake of gameplay, they don't really have enough of a function to be of any use except to those who do role play and eat food for their own immersion.

it would awesome if the witcher 3 had this and does it right I don't think any games have done it correctly yet. most of the time its a series of extra health bars that become annoying instead of immersive. I would like to see it too but I don't think the role of monster hunting suggests anything about this. all it really means I think is that monster hunting will become a more common side quest and instead of for example destroy 4 nekker nests or kill this number of harpies you will actual hunt monsters who leave tracks react to your pursuit and attack or flee depending on the situation instead of the semi fetch quests with static objectives we had in the witcher 1 and 2.

having edibles would be great they will make the world feel more dangerous and hostile too if you had to rely on them to survive. hope they are in the game. :)

I agree, imo it would be even cooler if it were to be a special unlockable mode, if they don't do it by release they should definitely do it in the DLC

But what I meant is that they should bring edibles to the core game, to me its a system that is efficient and has logical sense, because even though he doesn't have to eat to survive, he is eating all the time, so its realistic. I would really like if they made edibles the only way to restore health(apart from health regen potions) in the wild, you would buy them at an inn or market or hunt/ fish, there should be a limit for the amount of food you can carry, so you would have to be mindful of how you spend your food, and they could add camp rations that would allow you to full restore while camping in the wild, and the survival mode would simply push these mechanics to the extreme forcing you to eat and sleep every X hours. That would be just perfect imo

Last edited:
Yeah, I too would like a 'realistic mode' where for example fast travel is disabled and when an Ice giant hits you with an anchor you die, etc.

i think the novelty of eating to survive would eventually wear off in a 100 hour game and eating to restore health isn't exactly what I'd call realistic.
if they eat during dialogs whilst in an inn or around a campfire that would be enough for good immersion imo. Maybe it would be a cool idea for a mod though

Regen / health to oh crap! I got hit, an I might die Geralt animations in TW3?

I don't mind it if it is done well.
In TW2 it seems to have worked well I guess.
I always wanted health potions also, but that's just me.
Does anyone know the scoop about this being in TW3 or not?
Also when Gearlt gets hit or hits monsters, I don't mind a few blood drops on the camera lens if it looks cool.
What I don't like is the blood red screen when one is about to die or when one gets hit.
I see this in most games and It washes out the whole screen with a light red color :(
I think CDPR should just blur the cam a bit with a vibration and a jolt when Geralt gets hit.
I think if Geralt is about to die, then some sounds should be in slow motion and the camera vision animations should act dizzy.
I also think they should keep the edges of the screen clear of the light red flashes that we are all so used too...
(it's played out).
Keep all colors intact, just destort the camera vision in some cool deadly ways.

What are your thoughts, would you like to see a new and more creative take on all this like I do?
Or are you just happy with the same old song and dance?

Thanks for sharing:)
*What did you move this for!?! It is not a wish... wtf dude now no one will ever see this or even tell their thoughts about it oh well
fml I'm out lol...

Last edited:
it was realistic in the witcher 1 food heals incredibly slowly over a long period of time, it was not instant healing nowhere near and so not a substitute for potions but still of use since potions are vital to combat at least on hard difficulty making food and sleep necessary.

Eating food to heal is one of the worst ideas in games, and it need to get eradicated from games. Even a 5 year old knows that food does not heal wounds, plus where does the food go when the main character eats it. If there is food then Geralt needs to take a shit as well. If there is food then let's just turn Witcher into SIMS where the player has to eat, drink, take shit, sleep, and so on. Potions, bandages, or painkillers are the best options for healing.

Eating food to heal is one of the worst ideas in games, and it need to get eradicated from games. Even a 5 year old knows that food does not heal wounds, plus where does the food go when the main character eats it. If there is food then Geralt needs to take a shit as well. If there is food then let's just turn Witcher into SIMS where the player has to eat, drink, take shit, sleep, and so on. Potions, bandages, or painkillers are the best options for healing.

if I was to go by that logic, bandages don't heal wounds they stop them from bleeding or being infected nether do painkillers because they only do exactly what there name says they do, and potions like your example of painkillers are the closest thing in the reality to those even antibiotics only help people recover. in the real world there is no miraculous cure that is not the case for games.

in all games these things are just devices it does not need to follow reality it never has and it nether should or shouldn't it just needs context for our sake. a character eating food does not need to sh*t as any other would have to die of an overdose of painkillers although they could. its not about realism its about getting close enough to it so that it is believable for us because eating food in a game to heal over time has some context at least and makes some sense compared to eating dirt even though there is no real difference in the game. because of these things now when we play a game we are less aware that the reality of the game is just a facade a ploy with often nothing behind it.

Personally I'd go a long way from hit-points to more of a functionality/blood system.

Serious wounds *mostly* just cause death by bloodloss, prevention of bloodflow to vital organs (most notably the brain), and by oxygen depletion of the blood (e.g. in sucking chest wounds that prevent the lungs taking in air for oxygen transfer).

Scratches, broken bones, muscle tears etc are more about functional impairment (either temporary or permanent depending on severity), but in themselves are seldom lethal.

Healing is mostly about the stopping of bleeding then the repair of trauma... with subsequent healing taking a long time, and being more or less successful according to the quality of immediate trauma care.

This is true in the Witcher universe, even for Geralt ~ as when in the books he fights the Nekkers and is invalided in the trader's wagon until healed by the old witch.

In fact many foods can help one recover faster. But I'm afraid most only work like a temporary pain killer in some ways.
I think this is why Geralt likes to drink wine LOL....

Eating food to heal is one of the worst ideas in games, and it need to get eradicated from games. Even a 5 year old knows that food does not heal wounds

Agreed, and the way that those old games used to allow you to find fresh food in ancient old chests in abandoned crypts used to be a little unrealistic too. I've always thought that removing this mechanic from games was the best "dumbing down" that ever happened.

Agreed, and the way that those old games used to allow you to find fresh food in ancient old chests in abandoned crypts used to be a little unrealistic too. I've always thought that removing this mechanic from games was the best "dumbing down" that ever happened.
Hey I just found this turkey leg in some old coffin, want some? it might heal us.
Wait! LOOK! I think I see a juicy red apple by some rat turds over there too, lets eat that also!!

I'm fine with food boosting vigor, not health. Maybe even adjusting the boost per food type; protein offers a long term boost, and carbs offer an immediate boost,

if I was to go by that logic, bandages don't heal wounds they stop them from bleeding or being infected nether do painkillers because they only do exactly what there name says they do, and potions like your example of painkillers are the closest thing in the reality to those even antibiotics only help people recover. in the real world there is no miraculous cure that is not the case for games.

in all games these things are just devices it does not need to follow reality it never has and it nether should or shouldn't it just needs context for our sake. a character eating food does not need to sh*t as any other would have to die of an overdose of painkillers although they could. its not about realism its about getting close enough to it so that it is believable for us because eating food in a game to heal over time has some context at least and makes some sense compared to eating dirt even though there is no real difference in the game. because of these things now when we play a game we are less aware that the reality of the game is just a facade a ploy with often nothing behind it.
Let's look at it from a logical point of view. Answer these questions for me.
1. When people with wounds caused by accidents, stabbing, or bullet go to the hospital, do the hospital staff feed them to heal them while they are bleeding out and moaning in pain or do they apply bandages to stop the bleeding and give them painkillers to numb the pain until their body heals itself ?
2. When you cut yourself and you are bleeding out and the pain is severe, do you use a band-aid and take a painkiller or do you start eating apples and bananas ?
3. Overeating painkillers causes overdose, what does overeating food cause ?
4. Have you seen anyone grab a piece of chicken and eat it after they get cut by a sword in a medieval setting, or do they try to stop the bleeding by burning the wound and using bandages, and numbing the pain by drinking alcohol ?
5. What benefit does eating food to heal have in games except eliminating the little logic behind painkillers and bandages ?
6.And finally although I agree with you that using bandages and painkillers do not directly heal you, do you think it's a better idea to say f*ck even the slightest logic behind them and the assumption that they can indirectly have health benefits and the fact that they are commonly used in those situations by trained people, and let's just eat food to heal in games ?
And for the reference I consider healing potions to be painkillers.
Using bandages stops bleeding, which prevents a person from bleeding out and dying so you can say indirectly correlate to the increase of health in games. Painkillers stop pain, and I'm not sure of you are aware that pain can cause paralysis, fainting, and in severe cases it can even induce a cardiac arrest. So there is a way to justify that although painkillers do not directly heal, they can cause an increase in health by killing the pain and preventing emotional and physical trauma and death until you heal. So bandages and painkillers both have health benefits when someone is wounded, and they can indirectly increase the health stopping the bleeding and numbing the pain.

Last edited:
This is a sword and sorcery game, not a combat medicine simulation.

The game has to be playable, in a way that holds player frustration to a tolerable level. That is why attrition combat, which is far more damaging to immersion than food, is conventional and even necessary.

Far less violence is done to the game by allowing food as a restorative agent than by not simulating real combat, in which death is not what happens when your hit points drop to zero after multiple blows but when your opponent gets through your guard to make a single cut to a major artery.

But the frustration of immediate death as a consequence of a single mistake or single dice roll was so unpopular in the early days of roleplaying games that hit points and combat by attrition had to be substituted.

So I don't buy arguments that other factors, such as food, are damaging to immersion. Let food play a useful function. Games that simulate fatigue and use food as a restorative agent are not harmed by this.

Last edited:
I have to disagree. I don't get why many believe that trying to make game more logical and realistic would hurt the game and cause frustration for the player, and I believe if it is done right it will add to the experience. For example in the case of bandages and food, if there are enough bandages for the player to heal themselves then there is no need to use food for healing. The player gets frustrated because there aren't enough bandages, they don't get frustrated because they can't use food to regen health. On the other hand many people get frustrated when they find a fresh fruit or piece of chicken in a coffin and the fact that it heals them. As far as difficulty goes, some games like Dark Souls are popular because they are difficult. The bandage was nicely implemented in the Last of Us, where you could see Joel applying the bandage and the bandage staying on the arm.

I think that the issue of having the game impacted by resource limitations, whether it's food, ingredients or whatever, comes down to what people like in games. I prefer it not to be a significant part of the gameplay, simply because I find it frustrating to be sidetracked into scavenging for this type of loot rather than doing all of the other things you do in a game. This is entirely a matter of personal preference, and I fully respect the fact that others DO like this in a game.

What I don't like though is the argument that having these mechanics makes it more immersive, or logical, or realistic in some way. Yes, in real life people need to eat, drink, heal wounds. But in real life, they don't find the ingredients in coffins, or trashcans, and eating a banana doesn't cure a knife wound.

@Guy N'wah I agree, there is a line of realism that video games should not cross because if you do so that realism becomes a nuisance instead of a way to boost immersion, the developer's job is to try to get as close to that line as possible without crossing it, I particularly think that combat wise there is no limit to the realism, if we get stabbed in the belly we should die, the fun and difficulty should be in fencing with the enemy and breaking his defense. Now for minor things like health recovery, I think eating food is just the right balance between realism and practicality, whenever we get hurt it is always the body that heals itself, medical help only makes it easier (or in some cases possible) for the body to recover itself. If we imagine the health bar as the amount of blood we have then eating would help the body produce more blood cells and also to regenerate, so there is logic in it, plus the fact that we would have to get food would make the game more realistic since finding food would be something all travelers must do, this way we disguise a video game mechanic as an actual necessity of the character, and to me thats the way to go, to me good developers take the basic mechanics all video games need and disguise it as natural things in the world, just look at RDR almost every video game mechanic is disguised perfectly, fast travel= coaches, skip fast travel=nap in coach, save= sleep, IMO TW3 should be filled with things like that.
cheers to all :cheers:

Edit:
@shawn_kh
On the other hand many people get frustrated when they find a fresh fruit or piece of chicken in a coffin

I agree, I think food should regen health, but I really think they should make it realist to get food, you should only be able to buy food ready for consumption at markets, when hunting you should have to prepare the meat, like cooking it or salting it in order for it to be edible, and also you should only be able to carry a certain amount of food with you, so you would have to resupply when it ran out. Thats just my opinion of course

Last edited:
Top Bottom