Predicted witcher 3 system specs? Can I run it .

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on what you need now, and what you can afford to wait for. High King isn't in a position to wait long; he needs a replacement soon. Those of us who can afford to wait at least another year, will do well to do so. I haven't seen any hard dates for Skylake. Just sometime in 2015 or 2016.

If I had to buy now, I would get a motherboard with a Z97 (allows SLI and overclocking, H97 doesn't) chipset, and a Haswell CPU at a low enough price point that I wouldn't feel hurt when I later update it to Broadwell and flog the Haswell on eBay.

But if I can wait, I really favor waiting, now more than at any time in recent memory.
I can wait for a year, but when I buy my new PC, I want to be able to play for the next five years. So I guess that it's best for me to wait for next generation socket?
Thanks for reply.

I wish I knew more about what the PCI-Express performance of LGA 1151 was going to be. It's to where PCI-Express is the bottleneck on high-end LGA 1150 setups. But I don't know whether LGA 1151 will relieve that. And we don't know the schedule for it anyway.

Worst case, wait and you'll end up being able to find a better deal on a Z97 motherboard and Broadwell CPU.

I do wonder if the new graphic cards from EVGA for 780 and 780ti with 6GB of DDR5 will manage to max this game out.

They are supposedly releasing the TI version in May/June and I'm saving my money for one of those.

How do I "make sure... that it really performs up to that rating?"

I was looking at the Corsair AX1200i (Platinum).

Platinum is good, and better than Gold standard. And you also can depend on the makes of the PSUs, too. Corsair are pretty good. I have a modular Gold Corsair box for my 780ti.

There will be plenty of reviews where people work out the statistics if you have a search.

And I heard rumors (from this forum no less) that the a 780Ti struggles with a Witcher 3 and PhysX, so I figure a Titan Black has double the VRAM and costs 50% less than 780Ti SLI.

I don't remember anything of the sorts ever being mentioned. Care to share where you read this?

EDIT:
Found the article, utter BS. If the game "struggles" with a 780ti then what the hell will it take to run it smoothly? A NASA computer?

Last edited:
I don't remember anything of the sorts ever being mentioned. Care to share where you read this?

EDIT:
Found the article, utter BS. If the game "struggles" with a 780ti then what the hell will it take to run it smoothly? A NASA computer?

Hehe indeed, remember that the folks over at CD Projekt need to be able to actually run the darn thing too.

For a pair of high-end GPUs in SLI, on an otherwise full-up system, 860W is close to the minimum. If that is really how you are sure you are going to set up, I would go with the higher-rated power supply.

Not exactly sure that I'm definitely going to run 780Ti SLI, but my reasoning is that it's cheaper to play safe and get the 1200W (leaving me the option of an SLI set up) than to get a lower wattage, only to find that I do indeed want to SLI and thus need to buy a new PSU again.

Not exactly sure that I'm definitely going to run 780Ti SLI, but my reasoning is that it's cheaper to play safe and get the 1200W (leaving me the option of an SLI set up) than to get a lower wattage, only to find that I do indeed want to SLI and thus need to buy a new PSU again.

If you want to run 780ti SLI you don't need so much power, I will advise you to get a 1000w PSU instead AKASA or CORSAIR RM1000, wich are really less expensive. And for the silent part, the RM1000's fan doesn't start until the PSU is used at 40% load

If you want to run 780ti SLI you don't need so much power, I will advise you to get a 1000w PSU instead AKASA or CORSAIR RM1000, wich are really less expensive. And for the silent part, the RM1000's fan doesn't start until the PSU is used at 40% load

In the long run though, wouldn't the PX1200i save money via electricity bills?

I would recommend either the Cooler Master V1000 or if you are dead set on a 1200psu the V1200. They are really Seasonic PSUs. You can not beat the V1000 for cost/power/efficiency ratio. I picked mine up for $179.99. In fact guynwah was the person I listened to when I bought the V1000. He recommended Seasonic as the best over all. Johnny Guru recommends it too, here is his review http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=344

I have had mine for 7to 8mths running a full rig with sli and a third card for Physx......doesn't break a sweat.

Last edited:
It depends on efficiency, not on load vs. rated power. Your two 780's and CPU and disks are going to pull about 600W when the GPUs are fully loaded, and I'd be surprised if TW3 didn't fully load them. (You buy a bigger power supply than that, because power supplies have to be derated for things like above-spec case temperatures and capacitor lifetime.)

600W is near the Corsair RM1000's sweet spot, where it's running 92-93% efficiency and about 40 watts loss according to independent testers.

The AX1200i is not much different, about 92.75% efficiency and 46 watts loss at 600W.

You won't save electricity by getting the AX1200i. You won't be penalized, either, except on the initial cost.

I disagree with the recommendation for Cooler Master. Their top models are less efficient at load and temperature, even if the difference is only about 5% or 12 watts. Also, Cooler Master has a terrible reputation that they have only recently made people forget.

And good as Seasonic is, this is above their sweet spot, and I'd go with the RM1000. It's one of the best bargains in high-end power supplies in a while.

Just as an aside, Seasonic has licensed their silent fan technology to other PSU makers. So you can get blissful silence on the Chicony-made Corsairs now.

Last edited:
@Guy N'wah, i got a question for you, i got a Corsair HX850 in my computer, could i run two way SLI high end nvidia card? ( like 670 or 770)
Power supply is my only issue when im building a computer. Thx!

@Guy N'wah, i got a question for you, i got a Corsair HX850 in my computer, could i run two way SLI high end nvidia card? ( like 670 or 770)
Power supply is my only issue when im building a computer. Thx!

It is the minimum power supply I would be comfortable with in that configuration, but it is not outside my comfort zone. It would get the job done, no problem.

With a new build, I would use a bigger power supply. But since you already have one, use it and don't worry about it.

Ok thanks! I already got this power supply because i already have a gaming computer :). Its just that i was not sure if i was able two run SLI.
Thanks again for the help!:thumbsup:

GuynWah We will just have to respectfully disagree. I like Corsair and they do build some nice PS but the RM1000 while being a decent with a fair price is not as good as the V1000. The RM1000 is made by Channelwell as is the rm450,550,650, the 750 and 850 are made by Chicony.
The reason it is not as good is as follows.....

Most primary components come from very reputable manufacturers, such as Nippon Chemi-Con and TAICON. However, some components come from manufacturers with a mediocre reputation, such as the CapXon capacitors on the secondary side of the transformer. Those caps tend to fail just around 5 year mark. a 5 year warranty is not a coincidence here. I also searched for about 2 hours and could not find more than 1 independent review ANANDTECH

also there was a recall on all rm power supplies. as per http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/13/corsair_rm750_750w_power_supply_review/9#.U35s8_ldUlI

all that said.....I highly recommend you really read all the reviews for the v1000. I have seen no negative ones from real reviewers who actually test PSU and have a degree that pertains.... I think you are down on coolermaster for their admittedly less than stellar psu of yesterday. Coolermaster did well to team up with Seasonic. a 1000w PSU that is 80gold rated but passes for a 80platinum for $159.99 to $209.99 is a good deal IMHO.

Corsair does make some awsome PSU just not the RM series(just decent to good) imho. The AX series is great and that new 1500 watt 80 titanium rated psu just got a perfect on Jhonnyguru.com but at nearly $500 bucks I do not see a huge market for it. Awesome nonetheless.

Regardless I value your input on anything computer related. Even if we disagree rarely.

I am curious actually, how are your experiences with SLI so far? Any problems in certain games or stuttering?

I have never had an issue.....If Nvidia has an SLI profile for a game it has worked flawlessly for me. # card seems to be the sweet spot. After that you get diminished returns not worth the investment. Also 3 cards seem to be the smoothest over all most of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
If i could be there on E3 one of my questions about system specs sounds like this: How much roughly space you need on hard drive for Witcher 3 ? 50 GB or more ? I dont know why people still use DVD when better option is BD or digital version from Steam or GOG. DVD is not made of rubber and no matter how you compress your data one day even 2 or 3 DVD discs is would`nt be enough.

50GB is a lot of downloading for users with usage caps and overage charges or services that can't download that much in a non-frustrating time with zero errors.

Since there has to be physical distribution for at least some users, I agree with you: BD is the best available technology. The cost of a new or additional Blu-Ray reader should not be an obstacle for anyone with the iron it's going to take to run this game anyway.

Some people still prefer DVD to blu ray because it's cheaper... it's that simple. As for digi vs non digi, some people including myself (call me old fashioned) dislike paying for game they can't physicaly have. Also CD projekt and GOG were so kind that they allowed physical copy owners to get free digital backup copy so it's digital only option that seems less attractive to me. Also I hope that this 50GB and more thing is just guess... although It may make sense. I also see that lot of people here going to buy really expensive stuff for game which sys. requirements have not been announced yet so I advise more cautious approach. I wonder if SLI really would be of any good. Unless you have monster monitor res you'd either be crying that game doesn't run 60fps ( I was unable to comprehend why some people stick to this number so strictly) or would not be using your rig to it's full potential. As for me I play witcher 2 on Athlon Regor 250 with oced HD 5670 that has meager 512mb Vram. Game runs at 20-25 fps (perfectly playable for me) I have textures on max (on 1280x1024 monitor which should not work according to some, with no aa on) everything else on medium except for aa and uber and few effects turned off (didn't see any change with them on). As for Witcher 3 I hope that with card like geforce 640/comparable radeon or (I'd more hope) newer card of similar profile (I'm limited by 350W PSU) i will be able to acomplish same as I did with Witcher 2.

One thing I would like to ask however is about physx. I have heard rumours but will the game use it ? If so will it be CPU or GPU physx ? I don't want to go with Nvidia just because of this particular feature which I think they partially unjustly claim and restrict for themselves and their gpus. Also if game is supposed to run on consoles which are all AMD it wouldn't make sense to use gpu physx at all unless nvidia suddenly decide that it can run on amd gpus too.

Also there is no way I believe that game would need more than 4gb ram to run, that's just insane. There are many people that still use 32 bit OS (some with more than 4gb ram :3) so it wont be economical.

For all the experts here, is the GTX 760 a decent card? Would that card be able to run Witcher 2 on High/Ultra?

I think it also depends on what cpu you have. But I believe that GTX 760 is much more than decent card though If it will run game well on ultra depends on res in which you want to play. I believe however that under normal conditions (and without uber sampling) It will run the game well.

But I'm not sure if this is the best forum for such questions (by forum I meant that it should have been asked on witcher 2 forum instead)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom