Predicted witcher 3 system specs? Can I run it .

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha. Which is why I was in a state of utter disbelief when I heard those rumours. I mean, sure, the game looks beautiful, but that would be some poor optimisation. And it certainly narrows down the consumer base for PC somewhat.

I'm considering getting a Titan Black. What are the chances that I'll be able to max Witcher 3?

I'm considering getting a Titan Black. What are the chances that I'll be able to max Witcher 3?

Hard to say at this point, unless you really need a new GPU, wait until they announce the requirements. @Tommy, that sounds decent, something for me to think about, thanks.

That would seem overkill to me, but who knows. And it depends on your other components too.

Well, my PC is almost 2 years old, and I'm using a 680. Recently it has started to develop an issue with turning on, so it might be the PSU or the mobo. However, the mobo I have is also pretty old, and if I replace the mobo, I need a new CPU too.

So, I figure if I replace it, I might as well get new components for everything.

Well, my PC is almost 2 years old, and I'm using a 680. Recently it has started to develop an issue with turning on, so it might be the PSU or the mobo. However, the mobo I have is also pretty old, and if I replace the mobo, I need a new CPU too.

So, I figure if I replace it, I might as well get new components for everything.

Then you are indeed better of going for a whole new system but with Maxwell and Intel their new line somewhere in the future (plus the fact that TW3 is still 8 months of) waiting seems worthwhile, especially since a Titan Black is not that cheap.

So, if I were to upgrade in stages rather than all at once, what's the best MOBO and CPU I can get now (or soon) that is also relatively future proof, at least for the next year or so?

Last edited:
So, if I were to upgrade in stages rather than all at once, what's the best MOBO and CPU I can get now for the price that is also relatively future proof, at least for the next year or so?

With two rounds of Haswell updates coming from Intel in short order, DDR4 memory, Broadwell before the end of the year, and compatibility with earlier motherboards breaking down, the answer is, there is even less that is "future proof" at this moment than at any time in recent years.

Z97-chipset motherboards are at least supposed to maintain compatibility as far as Broadwell. But these will still max out at about two 780's in SLI. No point in going higher -- there aren't enough lanes for more than two x8 slots. Motherboards with NF200 chipsets just give the illusion of more lanes.

The high end -- Haswell-E, 6-8 physical core CPUs -- will be on LGA 2011, X99 chipset, and use DDR4. These will be able to do quad SLI with top-of-the-line GPUs. Graphics pros who can make money off of 20-teraflop performance and can afford five-figure prices will eat these up.

Last edited:
So, if I were to upgrade in stages rather than all at once, what's the best MOBO and CPU I can get now (or soon) that is also relatively future proof, at least for the next year or so?

The biggest thing is the arrival of Haswell-E/Broadwell in the second half of this year. That will bring about a whole new socket which means all types of new motherboards and even a new type of memory (DDR4) with it. Mind you, the first product of Haswell-E will probably not be very cheap to say the least.

Edit @Guy N'wah you ninja you.

And why a titan black? Are you gaming on a big resolution?
I believe a 780ti performs better or even the same then a titan, for a lower price. Except for going to big resolutions like 4k, because titan has 6gb memory.

And why a titan black? Are you gaming on a big resolution?
I believe a 780ti performs better or even the same then a titan, for a lower price. Except for going to big resolutions like 4k, because titan has 6gb memory.

Won't the 6GB memory help for stuff like intensive graphics mods?

And I heard rumors (from this forum no less) that the a 780Ti struggles with a Witcher 3 and PhysX, so I figure a Titan Black has double the VRAM and costs 50% less than 780Ti SLI.

Last edited:
The real problem for the future here is, LGA 1150's a dead end. It doesn't have the bandwidth to memory or PCI-e to go any faster than it already does. That's why Intel wants to put the new high-end CPUs on LGA 2011, and keep LGA 1150 for consumer/office desktops through 2016, if that long. LGA 2011 has room for more than twice the performance, but it's expensive and not getting cheaper.

Earlier, I thought they were going to break LGA 1150 compatibility altogether with Broadwell. It turned out better than that. Desktop Broadwell, due late this year, will be compatible with 9x chipsets (Z97, H97), and you can already get motherboards with those. (The reason is, Broadwell's power requirements are a lot different.)

I just looked up the pricing for a titan black, it's around 880 euro's. I didn't know they dropped the prices.
Well personally I will wait with my new graphics cards till the new cards come out later this year. And will probably replace my 2 680's with the best card available in February next year. Depending on pricing, I will get 2 of those cards for SLI.

So, is it worth waiting for LGA 1151, Skylake and DDR4? When will it come out?

Depends on what you need now, and what you can afford to wait for. High King isn't in a position to wait long; he needs a replacement soon. Those of us who can afford to wait at least another year, will do well to do so. I haven't seen any hard dates for Skylake. Just sometime in 2015 or 2016.

If I had to buy now, I would get a motherboard with a Z97 (allows SLI and overclocking, H97 doesn't) chipset, and a Haswell CPU at a low enough price point that I wouldn't feel hurt when I later update it to Broadwell and flog the Haswell on eBay.

But if I can wait, I really favor waiting, now more than at any time in recent memory.

I think what I'm going to do first is get a new PSU. If it solves my "takes repeated attempts to even turn the PC on" problem, then I can wait with the replacement of a MOBO/CPU.

Only question now is, will 860W be enough to SLI whatever high-end GPUs will be coming out in the near future, or should I go with the 1200W one to play safe? It's about 55 bucks more to get the 1200W.

Last edited:
For a pair of high-end GPUs in SLI, on an otherwise full-up system, 860W is close to the minimum. If that is really how you are sure you are going to set up, I would go with the higher-rated power supply. At that power, make sure it has one of the higher efficiency ratings (80 Plus Gold or better) and that it really performs up to that rating (many power supplies with various 80 Plus ratings do not really achieve the rating in real use).

How do I "make sure... that it really performs up to that rating?"

I was looking at the Corsair AX1200i (Platinum).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom