TW3 Save Game / Load Game mechanics

+
So it'll be in?

Sorry my start question isn t answered yet... so we don t know for sure... also my guess that TW3 ll have the
shitty TW2 system is nothing more as a assumtion by me... made out of the peek on the Main Menu Screen
we got at that Gamespot E3 interview.

But it is a one of the basic design desicion you ll use very often and if its the same like TW2 it ll mock us
very often

Last edited:
Oh BTW if you don t know whats this all about and how i picked that the TW2 system might be used in TW3 for now

Here is the Gamespot official E3 interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3HuAroY1Oo

Take a closer look at 0:49 in the Video ;) and you see the Main Menu and you see that there is no SAVE GAME button.

So long

PS: Sorry for the double Post

Oh BTW if you don t know whats this all about and how i picked that the TW2 system might be used in TW3 for now

Here is the Gamespot official E3 interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3HuAroY1Oo

Take a closer look at 0:49 in the Video ;) and you see the Main Menu and you see that there is no SAVE GAME button.

So long

PS: Sorry for the double Post

There doesn't exist a Main Menu screen that has Save Game on it. This is the Main Menu, not the Pause Menu. There's nothing to save when you're in the Main Menu, as you haven't started the game yet.

Main Menus of other games that use a different save system:

Last edited:
Well, Ghost is saying that, based on the main menu screen, he believes the game will use the same save system as TW2, so showing him a picture of TW2's main menu seemed... counter-prodcutive? So that's why I chose games that use a different system, where you can overwrite save files, yet have the same Main Menu layout.

Well, Ghost is saying that, based on the main menu screen, he believes the game will use the same save system as TW2, so showing him a picture of TW2's main menu seemed... counter-prodcutive? So that's why I chose games that use a different system, where you can overwrite save files, yet have the same Main Menu layout.

Ah, OK, I read it as implying you couldn't do manual saves.
Anyway, conclusion still stands.

Time to wake up THIS thread after the newest UI Screen post of the swamp footage :D hehehe
@Dragonbird

you may want to retreat on this one?

retreeee what??? i didn t heard that!!! :mean: you ain t gonna try to make me angry aren t you?! :p :p :p
@ReptilePZ

Nope you re wrong on this one i afraid... sure you must start the game to have the [SAVE GAME] button buuuuuut
as we can see in the stage demo the game is already started and most likely paused by [ESC] ;) look again

They just switch from MAIN MENU to ingame what intents the game is started and was just paused at this time ;)
SO if the game is started and there is no [SAVE GAME] button at all i assume that it is (in fact) the TW2 mechanic
what of course would suck...

So NOW my STARTQUESTION gets urgent.... after we ve seen some more of the UI there
@Marcin Momot and @ginger effect

i summon you mighty REDS to answer the question and put our concerns about it to a rest
pleeeaaassseee??!!! with sugar....

It wasn't paused. You never have Achievements, Credits, Tutorial and Exit to Desktop (without exit to Main Menu) in the Pause Screen. That was the Main Menu of the game.

Nope.... deactivate Autosave there and all goes smoth Daywalker30... TW2 is worse because you ain t have the
possibility to save manually ;) including the override of previous savegames....

Now that I replay Witcher 1, I have to correct myself, it's not the auto-saves that gets bombarded, but rather the quicksave function which apparently can't overwrite the quicksave file.

It wasn't paused. You never have Achievements, Credits, Tutorial and Exit to Desktop (without exit to Main Menu) in the Pause Screen. That was the Main Menu of the game.

So you rly think CDPR didn have a SAVE File for the presentation at all :blink: that would make no sense! Would be
absolute inefficient. Also why should they put up a scripted entry instead of a normal savegame to just load it up?
Besides that i am pretty sure if you hit ESC in TW2 you ll end up at the MAIN MENU screen...
you rly think the game isn t paused during that? I highly doubt that....

Now that I replay Witcher 1, I have to correct myself, it's not the auto-saves that gets bombarded, but rather the quicksave function which apparently can't overwrite the quicksave file.

Then it was alone your fault ending up with such a big bunch of quicksaves ;) i used always the manual SAVE Option in TW1
and i overrid the previous savefiles .... with the SAVE GAME button... ended up of having maybe 5 or 6 save files in the
ICE Desert.... ;)

BTW did my SUMMON spell fail??? Marcin Momot ; Ginger we need you!!! :p PLS answer the question
But maybe we ll get a Q&A soon ;) THIS will still stay urgent for me and others.... like the potion system
question...

So you rly think CDPR didn have a SAVE File for the presentation at all :blink: that would make no sense! Would be
absolute inefficient. Also why should they put up a scripted entry instead of a normal savegame to just load it up?
Besides that i am pretty sure if you hit ESC in TW2 you ll end up at the MAIN MENU screen...
you rly think the game isn t paused during that? I highly doubt that....
I agree with Reptile on this one, mostly because I don't think we should judge the game and menu mechanics based on an early E3 demo. Much has been adjusted or set to stage a quick and successful demo without revealing too much or them having to tackle saving/loading games in front of the journalist crowd.
Remember what happened with the taking-the-gryphon-head-to-Novigrad cutscene after the first Microsoft demo? There were actually people here who doubted and started to complain about that being a part of the actual game (which is absurd) :)

This is different of course and you have more reason to fear because of what they did in Witcher 2 regarding saves, but that 'Work in progress' in all demos is giving me hope and tells me we just have to sit tight a bit longer.
But ofc, an assuring response from based Momot or other CDPR's employee would do wonders also, but one can only hope :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And again, regarding TW1's save game system, i dunno why some people complain about it here, it was perfect for an RPG singleplayer game, I've finished TW1 roughly 9 or 10 times, so I remember how it worked perfectly. You could save manually, quick-save, autosave (on/off), overwrite and delete what you want from the in-game menu.
What more (or less) does one want?

Last edited:
i agree with a certain clean pantsu-wearing ghost,

TW2 had very rudimentary (basic) save system that doesn't allow you to overwrite the files or rename them.
I hope we get to see a better save system in the witcher 3

Well might me true... but even e demo need a prepared save game i think ... for the presentation itself.

Still the question is urgent... and this is the right time to ask for this ;) as for the PC UI Art and so on ;)

Lets try the summon spell again:
@Marcin Momot and @ginger we need your help in this issue!
How SAVE and LOAD will work in TW3???

BTW how about a whole Q&A session??? That would be cool ;)

Dear and devoted @Marcin Momot, you, who always give us a last and promised hope, do you mind to tell us if there will be the option of naming our saved files in the Save Game Menu? Will this answer of you be an unpronounceable spoiler which you are forbidden to give us?

Thank you very much in advance for your possible answer... or understood eternal silence in a white wolf way:

I hope i can save anywhere and any time. Has this been confirmed?

Unfortunatly we don't have any hint on that question, only the short peeks on the main menu in that gamespot presentation :(
As discussed we can not conclude from that to the final save/load game mechanics... thats why i posted the question
to be clear.

Will this answer of you be an unpronounceable spoiler which you are forbidden to give us?

Must be like that my lady ....i assume :D :D Maybe the REDs just celebrate their deserved success :D
But i think its about to time for a little hint here.

It seems like a minor design desicion but i think it could be one of the minor things that would bother us all if
done wrong.... like it was in TW2....

I hope i can save anywhere and any time. Has this been confirmed? Checkpoints are for consoles not PC gaming.
Wrong, TW2 on xb360 had a really good save system anywhere at anytime. Also Konrad tbh, I don't care about my W2 saves enough to carry them over to TW3 on xbone.
I will look at TW3 as if it's my very first time playing any Witcher game. I will be more than happy to forget TW2 ever happend once TW3 is in my hands. ;)

I'm seriously baffled. why would anyone think that an open world rpg in 2015 wouldn't have a manual save function? why is this still a question after 4 pages?

I'm seriously baffled. why would anyone think that an open world rpg in 2015 wouldn't have a manual save function? why is this still a question after 4 pages?

This is not the questions here, i also do not doubt that we get a manual save game option (over a button)

The Question to @Marcin Momot and @GingerEffect here is:

we gonna be able to override our previous save games via manual save? Like in TW1?

or not :D because that was not in TW2 implemented and the player ended up with a huge stockpile of savegames growing and
growing and growing :D (if you where lazy and didn t deleted them manually over filesystem or the load game menu) :D

Top Bottom