Combat in The Witcher 3

+
But he died by a crossbow bolt, not by sword slash.
Up until now, every enemy struck by sword was mutilated by the final blow.

Yeah but CDPR said that that was just for demo purposes to show off the dismemberment.

CDPR said:
"What we showed at the Microsoft conference was the easy way to play. We only had five minutes to show, so we had to play on easy and make the fights go really fast. You saw lots of dismemberment. It's not going to be so easy to cut somebody in half when the game comes out. We were showing off some features there."

I'm eager to see some new combat footage.
In particular I wonder if we can expect multiple foes reversals or some grappling (for example, taking enemies as shields on reversal/position switching, or throwing them on the rest of the opponents).
Then I want to see thrusting coups de grace (kicking away the pierced bodies), throat slittings and gut spilling.
I know, I know, I am a sick person, they've already told me. :hai:

I'm eager to see some new combat footage.
In particular I wonder if we can expect multiple foes reversals or some grappling (for example, taking enemies as shields on reversal/position switching, or throwing them on the rest of the opponents).
Then I want to see thrusting coups de grace (kicking away the pierced bodies), throat slittings and gut spilling.
I know, I know, I am a sick person, they've already told me. :hai:

But you're right sir. Violence and gore fits the witcher world perfectly.

But you're right sir. Violence and gore fits the witcher world perfectly.

Violence and gore are indeed part of swordfights and war in general.
The fact is that only dismemberment as a result of the final blow is redundant and spoils the sense of casualty and thrill of an uncertain situation.
So varying the deaths from almost clean to bloody butchery would increase the sense of reality.

Man, I cannot wait to cut some shitty bandit limbs off.;)

Having to wait until February 24 to witcher around, I would make the most of someone else doing it for me in a demo.
The problem is that the San Diego footage will make us starve from now to monday… and let's not even speak about Gamescom… August 17… Man! That's terrible!

Getting combat "right" is such a challenge.

There are so many nuances that have to be taken into account, and as you add more complexity to the mechanics, you risk getting surpassing the line in the sand that is one side, entertainment, and the other, frustration.

I found W2's combat to be very frustrating. For me, I had to perform a dodge after every landed attack; never bother blocking or connecting subsequent hits, when I was in a 3+ enemy encounter, otherwise you'd invariably be hit, and it would break the attack sequence. Suffice it to say, to date, I feel Rocksteady's Freeflow Combat system (something LIKE it, catered to the Witcher play style) would be best here.

It focused around acrobatic combat by chaining and then introducing dynamic elements (signs, traps, bombs, gear, etc.). When enemy archetypes introduced new mechanics of combat that you had to be aware of, it felt like a learning experience; something you had to commit to memory in order for you to effectively handle that enemy. Otherwise, it would be boring if you could just mash a button towards any and all enemies in order to achieve victory.

In W2, I never felt items were worth their crafting and/or use in battle. The work/cost involved was too steep when all I needed to do was just swing a sword at the baddy enough times to get the same effect. Hopefully, the devs adjust the "cost" accordingly to make their use seem more vital and be more rewarding. For example, drinking a strength potion might open up some finisher moves that are brutal. Using a Samum bomb in the middle of combat could have a "finisher" but hopefully it won't cinematically take you out of the game world.

It's the small nuances in battle that can make the fights memorable. When a fight is over, Geralt might drop any enemy weapon he picked up or pried out of a combatants hands during the scuffle and toss it on their corpse. He might fling a dagger into a nearby tree. He might spit on the ground in disgust. There's quite a bit out there, and CDPR is just the team that would bring us something very unique.

Looking at the old VGX trailer I was focusing on the combat scenes at 0:56:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuN-g0FSDaU

In the first scene we see Geralt cutting off a bandit's hand, maybe on counter-strike.
In the second scene we see enemies attacking Geralt simultaneously and being countered by an zone Aard cast.

Said that, I was wondering if counter-striking (not reversal) has a consistent importance in the game.
I used to be a fighting games player (tekken, Virtua Fighter, KoF etc.), where counter-hitting is a very large part of the experience, so I'd be really satisfied if TW3 implemented a good counter system.
I'm curious to know if you can counter with a light attack and if there is a particular timing to interrupt the opponent's strikes.
With heavy and light attacks, zone attacks, quick enemy switching, dodging, reversals and signs, this could be really a great, engaging and deep combat system.

Last edited:
I hope that you are right. Anyway, we will see how the game plays normally at the San Diego Comicon.

I think dismemberment will be within the skill-tree. Meaning you will not be able to achieve it until you have unlocked the appropriate skill(s) first. I'm not 100% certain what other variables will be taking into consideration for the chance of dismembering an opponent,other than enemy armor,strong attacks and I'm guessing they have to be stunned to cut in half as seen in the demo.

*Edit* - A little clarification on my part: I did not mean to imply that I want or actually believe that we will need to wait say, 20+ hours (It could) before Geralt decapitates and dismembers monsters & enemies. There could be basic and lower % chance dismemberment early game with the addition and incentive of upgrades as you level up. I could definitely see something like that end up being the case. Hopefully we find out more about combat and the dismemberment system soon.

( BTW, I'm not saying any of this directly to you @JackieEstacado Just talking in general.)
They did state that there would be a lot more active skills in TW3 compared to mainly passive effects in TW2. I think this will also be the case with additional combat moves like - Evasions,melee and attack animations.

I do not believe we will have access to every single new attack or dodge animation from the onset. Which is a good thing IMO. It gives something to look forward to once your further along in the game, a sense of accomplishment finally when you attain those skills you had your eyes set on for hours. This is a RPG game first and foremost not a pure all-out action game. IMO, giving all or the majority of animations and skills near the beginning goes against what I'd like to believe the game is trying to accomplish.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and way off. If I am wrong, apologies in advance. However, a few interviews/previews that I've watched or read have lead me to believe this will be the case. I can understand where many would think this silly or a pain because Geralt is a master swordsman and veteran Witcher who should not need to wait BUT then again we have to remember it's for the sake of balanced gameplay and character progression.
:cheers:

Last edited:
I think dismemberment will be within the skill-tree. Meaning you will not be able to achieve it until you have unlocked the appropriate skill(s) first. I'm not 100% certain what other variables will be taking into consideration for the chance of dismembering an opponent,other than enemy armor,strong attacks and I'm guessing they have to be stunned to cut in half as seen in the demo.

They did state that there would be a lot more active skills in TW3 compared to mainly passive effects in TW2. I think this will also be the case with additional combat moves like - Evasions,melee and attack animations.

I do not believe we will have access to every single new attack or dodge animation from the onset. Which is a good thing IMO. It gives something to look forward to once your further along in the game, a sense of accomplishment finally when you attain those skills you had your eyes set on for hours.

Of course, I could be wrong and way off. If I am wrong, apologies in advance. However, a few interviews/previews that I've watched or read have lead me to believe this will be the case. I can understand where many would think this silly or a pain because Geralt is a master swordsman and veteran Witcher who should not need to wait BUT then again we have to remember it's for the sake of gameplay and character progression.

What you say is plausible, but we need to see it in action to be sure. And I hope we don't have to wait too long...

I hope that the ability if it is an ability to dismember is quickly attainable because I do want to start chopping limbs off right away, I mean, they could always do it as a finisher, not a cinematic finisher but when the enemy if its a regular human enemy or a regular ol monster when there is only the last portion of life almost dead all stunned a blow should chop it off in half, I hope anyway.

God damn I thought I was alone on this :)

But it would be unrealistic. I don't know if you've ever read the manga "Berserk" by Kentaro Miura; well, in the scenes where Gatsu (the protagonist) shot the monsters with his crossbow, the arrows always pierced the eyes of the targets or went inside their mouths. Now in a page it can happen, in two pages you can say it is a coincidence, but in ALL the story it is too much. It doesn't look like a casualty anymore.

The people who perished by sword weren't always mutilated: throat-slitting, belly and heart thrusting and arterial cutting were also likely to happen.

*Edit* - A little clarification on my part: I did not mean to imply that I want or actually believe that we will need to wait say, 20+ hours (It could) before Geralt decapitates and dismembers monsters & enemies. There could be basic and lower % chance dismemberment early game with the addition and incentive of upgrades as you level up. I could definitely see something like that end up being the case. Hopefully we find out more about combat and the dismemberment system soon.

( BTW, I'm not saying any of this directly to you @JackieEstacado Just talking in general.)

I do not believe we will have access to every single new attack or dodge animation from the onset. Which is a good thing IMO. It gives something to look forward to once your further along in the game, a sense of accomplishment finally when you attain those skills you had your eyes set on for hours. This is a RPG game first and foremost not a pure all-out action game. IMO, giving all or the majority of animations and skills near the beginning goes against what I'd like to believe the game is trying to accomplish.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and way off. If I am wrong, apologies in advance. However, a few interviews/previews that I've watched or read have lead me to believe this will be the case. I can understand where many would think this silly or a pain because Geralt is a master swordsman and veteran Witcher who should not need to wait BUT then again we have to remember it's for the sake of balanced gameplay and character progression.

I don't think its going be a perk, or unlocked by leveling unless its the direct result of stronger, or charged moves like a guard break skill. The reason being that they have said they wanted to make skills that actually do a lot more this time out in than in Witcher 2, and simple combat aesthetic upgrade would be the exact opposite of that. Also the Witcher 2 while it isn't nearly as showy you are dismembering people right out the gate. As a matter of fact I chopped off more guys arms than left wholly intact.

I don't think its going be a perk, or unlocked by leveling unless its the direct result of stronger, or charged moves like a guard break skill. The reason being that they have said they wanted to make skills that actually do a lot more this time out in than in Witcher 2, and simple combat aesthetic upgrade would be the exact opposite of that. Also the Witcher 2 while it isn't nearly as showy you are dismembering people right out the gate. As a matter of fact I chopped off more guys arms than left wholly intact.

It'd be cool if weapon condition (if it's a thing) had a hand in determining the dismemberment percentage.

Looking at the old VGX trailer I was focusing on the combat scenes at 0:56:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuN-g0FSDaU

In the first scene we see Geralt cutting off a bandit's hand, maybe on counter-strike.
In the second scene we see enemies attacking Geralt simultaneously and being countered by an zone Aard cast.

Said that, I was wondering if counter-striking (not reversal) has a consistent importance in the game.
I used to be a fighting games player (tekken, Virtua Fighter, KoF etc.), where counter-hitting is a very large part of the experience, so I'd be really satisfied if TW3 implemented a good counter system.
I'm curious to know if you can counter with a light attack and if there is a particular timing to interrupt the opponent's strikes.
With heavy and light attacks, zone attacks, quick enemy switching, dodging, reversals and signs, this could be really a great, engaging and deep combat system.

I'd like that light attacks on counter hit dealed more damage, and if timed perfectly right after the opponent has started charging his blow (it should be difficult to time the counter) they should stun him in a stagger animation.
If parried/blocked light attacks should have a recovery time animation, leaving you open to foes attack.

Strong attacks should be slow, exposing yourself to counterstrike during animation, but they should break guards and knock away the opponent if landed successfully.
Strong attack on counter should knock the enemy next to you, allowing you to finish him/hit him once he's grounded.

Evading moves should be effective to dodge heavy attacks, less to avoid light and quick attacks.
Guard should be really useful against light attacks, almost useless for heavy attacks.

Reversal should stun opponents to a follow up combo string, but if performed with a wrong timing you should be stunned by enemy's attack and left vulnerable to combo strings.

A throw (if they will put it in the game) will anticipate heavy attacks and will have priority on enemy reversals attempts,
but will stun you if anticipated by foes' light attacks. The same logic should be applied for signs.

Last edited:
Personally I would prefer the blows that you land to take a cumulative effect on that body part of your enemy. So if you hit him a few times in his arm, or torso it has a higher percentage chance of producing a dismemberment upon death. However do to the positive feed back they have been getting back from it most likely every death will have dismemberment with glorious Yojimbo level results.

Last edited:
Top Bottom