Homosexuality in the witcher

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
So...no gay pride parades?

Anyway, the impression I got, especially from TW2, is that racism is at the forefront as a social issue to be explored (them pointy ears and dwarven stature can't be hidden as easily as one's sexual orientation), and is also one of the greatest sources of conflict in the setting. I'm not sure it's necessary to add sexual orientation as yet another (major) source of conflict in a setting that seems to have plenty already. While there might be room for improvement, the way TW2 simply acknowledged non-heterosexual orientations was a-ok by me.

I can understand (not necessarily support) the critics concerning sexism. In the end, that is more about execution than anything else.

But like others said Geralt is an established character and although this game is an RPG, it is a kind of RPG where our choices are not in the realm of gender, appearance or sexual orientation, but rather in the aspects that shape the fate of characters, cities and entire kingdoms. Isn't that enough?

A gay Geralt is like a gay James Bond.

Never read the books, so I'm actually somewhat less invested in Geralt as a heterosexual than some others here. Even so, I actually kinda liked how the lack of customization, sexual orientation or otherwise, seemed to de-emphasize Geralt as your in-game avatar, and add more emphasis on his relationships with his close circle, as well as their place in the greater world and its problems (at least for me, anyway).

OT: I never quite understood how people can fuss over their PC's appearance for 1/2 hour+. I've always been content with any defaults that were available.

Sorry about that. :whistle:

Never read the books, so I'm actually somewhat less invested in Geralt as a heterosexual than some others here. Even so, I actually kinda liked how the lack of customization, sexual orientation or otherwise, seemed to de-emphasize Geralt as your in-game avatar, and add more emphasis on his relationships with his close circle, as well as their place in the greater world and its problems (at least for me, anyway).

OT: I never quite understood how people can fuss over their PC's appearance for 1/2 hour+. I've always been content with any defaults that were available.

I never understood how people can be content with the default appearance. I've always thought people like that must be uber boring and uncreative fucks. You'd think that if given the opportunity to make their own character, a rare opportunity in gaming, that they'd jump for joy and rejoice. Alas, seems like some people just get a brain aneurysm or something if you ask them to be in any way creative and let them leave their mark on a virtual world. Oh well. It's a shame cause I'm sure that's exactly the reason Bioware decided to dumb down Dragon Age 2 and force everyone to play as a human. Since apparently, the vast majority played as a human in Dragon Age: Origins. I'm being punished because people only want what's safe, boring, predictable and what everyone else deem socially acceptable. Sad.

So yeah, keep on dragging the rest of the industry down. Be that beacon of inspiration to us all.

Also, loving the homophobic comments on here. Just lovely. I called it. Didn't I call it! I called it.

I never understood how people can be content with the default appearance. I've always thought people like that must be uber boring and uncreative fucks. You'd think that if given the opportunity to make their own character, a rare opportunity in gaming, that they'd jump for joy and rejoice. Alas, seems like some people just get a brain aneurysm or something if you ask them to be in any way creative and let them leave their mark on a virtual world. Oh well. It's a shame cause I'm sure that's exactly the reason Bioware decided to dumb down Dragon Age 2 and force everyone to play as a human. Since apparently, the vast majority played as a human in Dragon Age: Origins. I'm being punished because people only want what's safe, boring, predictable and what everyone else deem socially acceptable. Sad.

So yeah, keep on dragging the rest of the industry down. Be that beacon of inspiration to us all.

Also, loving the homophobic comments on here. Just lovely. I called it. Didn't I call it! I called it.

Here's the thing, character creation is a choice, not a personality test.

And flat out calling a person an uncreative fuck does not make you more intelligent nor more creative.

wow just wow so just because I play as the default shepard in Mass Effect I'm an uncreative Fuck??
Apparently opinions don't matter? And damm can't you read? This is not Dragon Age or Skyrim
Its about a pre defined character so no you can't create your own face and no you can't make him gay
because thats not who he is don't like it? Don't play it all these bitching and whining and thinking you are better than everyone else
who isn't as creative as you...

That's exactly the point.

Sapkowski wrote these characters to be heterosexual, so of course people are annoyed when
someone comes here and tells the devs to change their sexual preferences.

This is not about being homophobic. This is about not changing the lore or world of the Witcher to
enforce political correctness, to stay true to the source material.

Homosexuality exists in the Witcher, but it's not the theme of the game or the focus of the main characters.

For me personally playing dress up doesn't really define my Geralt, his actions do, and i want to play with this character and do not want him redesigned by a politically correct checklist so no one anywhere in the universe is offended. Sensible and coherent actions that arise from who he is and his background as a character, and that hopefully will be recognised in the third game, but were undoubtedly recognised in the games in which he made them. You can dress Geralt in the armours you wish, though personally I always choose the simplest, most practical harness and the most detailed and well designed weapons, but the real choice of customisation in the game is in his decisions.

What he does, and what he does not do and the reasoning behind it defines him, not a little bit of cosmetic frippery. After all this is an action roleplaying game, we have the action and we play the Geralt whom we have crafted over the last few games, a man who is not ours to define but whom it has to be said has been somewhat shaped by our decisions.

Just going to echo what people have already stated here--altering specific characters just so you can romance as them or with others is a no no. More capable homosexual characters however would certainly be a welcome addition which I don't have anything against.

Character creators are unhealthy means for the growing need for escapism. I am not too surprised that people are becoming more and more fixated upon the possibility of transferring their RL personas into videogames (which is what most people end up doing given a choice, today we are transferring looks and sexuality, tomorrow we will be uploading our minds into fantasy worlds) as the society becomes more and more socially and emotionally stunted.

God bless every game that does not include it. It really serves no purpose other than placing the player into the position of virtual power as himself/herself instead of a character like Geralt.

Last edited:
*Sigh* I'm getting tired of this.

And by 'this' I mean that in order to not to be called a homophobe bigot one must embrace and celebrate homosexual behavior like it's the best and the noblest thing on earth.

No, on this forum it seems all you need to do is be opposed to it being thrown in where it has nothing to do with the plot or character.

"A gay Geralt is like a gay James Bond." [.Volsung.]

But the moderators have their own agenda, and that is to stamp out all accusations of homophobia or bigotry on the one hand, and all accusations of unreasonably demanding political correctness or catering to gay players on the other. All are equally intolerable on this forum and subject to deletion or stronger action.

Last edited:
*Sigh* I'm getting tired of this.

And by 'this' I mean that in order to not to be called a homophobe bigot one must embrace and celebrate homosexual behavior like it's the best and the noblest thing on earth.

Yeah I agree and then they always want to treated normal and equally well they just wouldn't always make a huge case for their sexuality like its someting special
then everything would be normal like with straight gamers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom