Combat in The Witcher 3

+
Well I want a crossbow cheat with infinite bolts after I beat the game a few times.
I want to gallup around on god mode and shoot shit for fun because I can!!
;)

The Gabriel is from the books:

Though it's true it doesn't have the repeating function.

I know that the Gabriel is from the books, that's why I said it should work the same way as it does in the books ;)

While we're on the subject of the crossbow, I think it's silly that it apparently recoils like a firearm when firing it, this is not even remotely the case with actual crossbows and it just looks silly. If I remember correctly, this was the case with arbalists in TW2 as well.

Last edited:
I know that the Gabriel is from the books, that's why I said it should work the same way as it does in the books ;)

While we're on the subject of the crossbow, I think it's silly that it apparently recoils like a firearm when firing it, this is not even remotely the case with actual crossbows and it just looks silly. If I remember correctly, this was the case with arbalists in TW2 as well.

Crossbows recoil.

Of course you get some recoil when there are moving parts involved, but the Gabriel is exceptionally small and the recoil works very differently from a firearm's recoil.

=P

What would be really cool some day is... have a DLC/Quest some day before of after Cyberpunk and Geralt some how crosses over and returns back to the witcher world with some future looking armor and cyber punk guns!! The game add on colud send Geralt to the Cyber Punk Realms or send some borgs the the witcher world for Geralt to take out, or both. (So Badass) Yeah, I want this someday.. Or maybe CyberPunk DLC where you end up in the witcher 4 HaHa..

Last edited:

Attachments

• witcher_3_wild_hunt_geralt_shooting_his_crossbow_by_scratcherpen-d7lyn1q.jpg
    witcher_3_wild_hunt_geralt_shooting_his_crossbow_by_scratcherpen-d7lyn1q.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 52
I also didn't like how in the fight the arrows barely reached the griffin before he stumbled down very suddenly without momentum. And those white lines they leave behind are kind of immersion breaking.

Maybe the crossbow is a late addition and it didn't go trough much polish but lets hope everything is fixed until the game comes out.

I think the recoil is alright in real time, it's a video game after all. I think if it had no recoil it would just feel flat when we shoot.
I think a tasteful mix of visual reciol and sound, minus the white lines will be good enough. I guess they could tone the recoil kick down a bit, but to be honest I don't really care about that as much as I do getting rid of those bolt trails. The reaction from the monsters or bandits that we do shoot should be more than enough.
If they scream, move in shock or bleed then I know I hit my target because I see my bolt(s) in its body. I don't mind a more clear motion blur effect in its place, if devs feel it's better with some kind of trail effect. My guess is a more organic and natural looking/colorless trail would be better, but I don't really know because I'm not there to see it and judge it myself. For all I know it might look better without trails at all, what if they made it look like the trowing knives animation in RDR but apply that look to the bolts fired from Geralt's crossbow then that might be perfect. I challenge cdpr devs to look into these possibly better looking options for inspiration when it comes to blots and sword swing trails while Geralt is kicking ass all over the place. One thing I can tell devs that I don't like, is the arch line/aim trail animations for bombs in most games. Both Gears of War and RDR use it to aim cocktail bombs or whatever, so I was really thrilled to not see that crap when Geralt chucked a bomb at those swamp monsters in the new sword of destiny trailer. It looked awesome as it should be, thanks cdpr for making that look cool as hell.
Anyways... back to the crossbow...

One thing I would really like since we have a crossbow now, is a casual auto lock on aim mode/option like the gta games and rdr.
I like that devs are going with the white pin/dot look and not some huge stupid looking crosshairs. I will look again, but the white aim dot should turn red as soon as we are locked on our tatget.
I hope it does.
Anywho, blah.. blah.. blah.. ;)

Last edited:
I think the recoil is alright in real time, it's a video game after all. I think if it had no recoil it would just feel flat when we shoot.
I think a tasteful mix of visual reciol and sound, minus the white lines will be good enough. I guess they could tone the recoil kick down a bit, but to be honest I don't really care about that as much as I do getting rid of those bolt trails. The reaction from the monsters or bandits that we do shoot should be more than enough.
If they scream, move in shock or bleed then I know I hit my target because I see my bolt(s) in shi body
A pain scream should be enough to show you you hitted the target
Also 3 bolts?that's bad
I know he should have inhuman speed but the combat doesn't show something like that
Also no "johnny" in a fantasy game
With the rest I'm ok, I heard some complaints about the interface, but it looks gorgeous for me, the facial animation is stunning, the explosion is OMFG in realism, the hair tresspassong the body surely will be fixed, so I'm still happy

Last edited:
That is a pretty ridiculous recoil for a crossbow. More appropriate for a firearm.

Especially considering Geralt's enhanced strength... If his wrists can handle with precision swinging a giant two-handed sword with one hand he should be able to shoot a small crossbow without recoil.

A pain scream should be enough to show you you hitted the target
Also 3 bolts?that's bad
I know he should have inhuman speed but the combat doesn't show something like that
Also no "johnny" in a fantasy game
With the rest I'm ok, I heard some complaints about the interface, but it looks gorgeous for me, the facial animation is stunning, the explosion is OMFG in realism, the hair tresspassong the body surely will be fixed, so I'm still happy

I agree.. and yeah johnny... I think it should be a made up name. I would just call him "Weeble" or some shit lol...

Top Bottom