Combat in The Witcher 3

+
Actually, one thing is worrying me: health and vigor recover is too fast.

It was said time and time again, the demos we saw were on tweaked difficulty. So everything seemed "easy" because it was intended to be like that because of time restraints and presentation purposes.

It was said time and time again, the demos we saw were on tweaked difficulty. So everything seemed "easy" because it was intended to be like that because of time restraints and presentation purposes.

Yeah, I know this, but the "low difficult level" should not concern the velocity of the health recover . Or am I wrong?

I Think that they will nerf the recovery according to the difficulty level. I also suspect that they will increase the attack power of the enemies.
Anyway, even if the recovery time will stay the same, the group attack factor is likely to be a proper challenge on hard mode and beyond.

CD Projekt made a decent job on TW2 difficulty, so I think that their experience has made them capable of giving us a tough and rewarding experience.

I am sure that I will play at the highest difficulty from the beginning.

Wasn't it mentioned that higher difficulties will have greater numbers of enemies? A result favoured by the majority on the board its fair to say.

Or did I dream that ?

Yeah, I think they said something about, say, fighting a werewolf on Normal, but facing a Werewolf + a bunch of wolves on Hard, for example.

Yeah I remember reading something about how higher difficulty would mean more enemies as well.

IMO that is absolutely perfect. I detest when higher difficulty simply equals higher hitpoints. It really sucks.

In a perfect world higher difficulty would mean smarter AI, but no developer is going to do that because you obviously want the AI to be as intelligent as possible in all difficulties. So yeah, I definitely love the idea of higher difficulty meaning more enemies in encounters.

Actually, one thing is worrying me: health and vigor recover is too fast.
All this worry needs to stop, when I see it, I stamp it out. It will be fine, the demo was on easy mode. Players like you will die a lot on hard mode so get ready.;) lol...

Last edited:
Yeh the old percentages trick... some gamedevs seem to get literally wet about 13% :p
@theLaughingStorm; is right about making good use of the AI at all times, but "Perfect" though, for me, would also include extra behaviour the harder the level, a lot to ask maybe but wouldnt that be great !

I Think that they will nerf the recovery according to the difficulty level. I also suspect that they will increase the attack power of the enemies.
Anyway, even if the recovery time will stay the same, the group attack factor is likely to be a proper challenge on hard mode and beyond.

CD Projekt made a decent job on TW2 difficulty, so I think that their experience has made them capable of giving us a tough and rewarding experience.

I am sure that I will play at the highest difficulty from the beginning.

Well, it's not a challange issue. That solution (health recover very fast) would make White Raffard's decotion and Swallow pratically...useless.

All this worrie needs to stop, when I see it, I stamp it out. It will be fine, the demo was on easy mode. Players like you will die a lot on hard mode so get ready.;) lol...

I hope this. xD

Anyway, the Gamescom is near, so it's a matter of days that we will have a new footage in which combat is displayed.
And if we get lucky, we could witness the so yearned Comic con gameplay. To me it's enough to understand if A.I. and difficulty are well developed or not. In particular I want to see if the enemies have a more plausible and realistic behavior, because I have noticed that in both of the griffin demos, thugs walk right into the yirden traps, even if they are cast a few seconds before they move forward.
Personally, if I was a thug and I was fighting against one hell of a witcher, if I saw him doing strange moves towards the ground and after that motions a strange light-spot appeared, I certainly wouldn't like to walk right on it.

Apart form that, I'm really curious about the dismemberment ratio in normal/hard difficulty settings and to understand how player's and weapons parameters affect this feature of the game..

Last edited:
In the Gamescom teaser I think we can see a lot of spinning moves, even where it doesn't make too much sense for Geralt to spin. This might be due the the fact that the game randomly chooses which combat animation to play when you hit the attack button (and of course because it looks cool, but not when it's overused).

What I'd like to see is a system similar to the one in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. I haven't seen anything like that in another game and I think it could work quite well for TW3.
Basically, if you hit the left mouse button, your move is a regular swing with the sword (this could be the spins and standard slashes in TW3), but if you scroll up with your mouse wheel, it's a stab, if you scroll down, it's an overhead strike.

Now these different kind of attacks affect the damage and reach of your move in Chivalry, but it TW3 it could be merely a visual thing, so if there are like 5 or 6 stabbing animations and you scroll up, the game would choose from those animations.
I think this system would give players a great sense of control over Geralt, even if the result would be the same. It might give you the illusion that the swordplay is less hack n' slash-y, and Geralt actually does what you want him to do.

What do you think? I hope CDPR is at least considering this, maybe as a turn on/off feature.

Last edited:
@Mohasz Interesting idea, personally I'm perfectly happy with, and prefer an improved version of TW2's system, buuuuuuuuuut I do love me some Chivalry, would be cool if we got a Witcher mod for that game, they already did a thing for Deadliest Warrior which was awesome, maybe they should have an all-out brawl between various videogame characters?

Thanks, I think the game could really benefit from this small twist. I imagine myself running towards that werewolf from the demo thinking "I'm gonna stab this motherf*cker" and then suddenly Geralt makes a pirouette for no good reason. It's a bit anti-climatic for me. The 'scroll-down' overhead strike could also be used for those halving finishers.

I understand that it's up to personal preference whether one would like such a mechanic or not, that's why I'd love to have it as an optional feature. But I do think it wouldn't require that much work to implement it and it would make the combat a better experience for me.

I'd be surprised if all of that is completely random. Its hard to say without knowing the control set up or which abilities Geralt has at his command.

I hope there is a way to run/jog while locked on in combat, for example I have observed a few times in the gameplay we have seen thus far, that Geralt sometimes knocks an enemy over with Aard, and then uses several seconds to slowly walk over to them to finish them off. I'm guessing this has to do with the person currently playing it though, holding down the sprint-key would be the obvious mechanic for it.

Top Bottom