Reviewing the full 35 minute Gamescom 2014 demo

+
Can you give an (in-depth) explanation / link why this isn't going to happen any time soon?
Woah you're not going to see pop-in and clipping disappear from videogames within this decade(possibly even the next) that's very obvious really.

That's how a streaming tech works, hence it's called STREAMING. You see the data around you on screen and as you move the data required is streamed in, that's the very essence of it. The other option is to load the entire level in the memory at once... we don't have that much memory and won't probably never "enough" memory to have everything at once since data increases exponentially while memory doesn't.

Can you give an (in-depth) explanation / link why this isn't going to happen any time soon?

Taking the case of Witcher 3, they are using streaming technology aided by 3rd party software like UMBRA. Pop-in is bound to happen on a system like this especially on lower end machines.

As I said, the tech and hardware so far is just not capable of eliminating it.

Taking the case of Witcher 3, they are using streaming technology aided by 3rd party software like UMBRA. Pop-in is bound to happen on a system like this especially on lower end machines.

As I said, the tech and hardware so far is just not capable of eliminating it.

Well, an important aspect concerning pop-in is what perspective the game is using. In first person or over the shoulder views (like in TW3) you can see much further into the distance so preventing pop-in is much more difficult. In Sui Generis there is no pop-in at all since the field of view is restricted to an isometric view, which naturally limits the line of sight, meaning much less has to be rendered at once. This restricted line of sight allows everything to be rendered in high definition without bogging the system down and without the annoying pop-ins :).

Last edited:
Hey, I have noticed this: is the mountain where we got Johnny's voice back the same one where the griffin lives? They look mighty similar.

Top Bottom