The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt -- 16 free DLCs for everyone!

+
Marketing scheme...not harmful put pointless, especially given the date of the announcement (hint: months before the release of the game itself).

Jesus, CDPR tries so hard to "be the good guys" it almost hurts. Convince me with a good game, please, not with marketing efforts. Witcher 3 doesn't need self-stylized heroes as its makers, it just needs a bunch of good game developers.

View attachment 7287

They did choose carefully, in few days are realeased some of their big comentitors and with known lots of paid DLC in their future (DAI, AC Unity and Rogue, FC4).

@LordCrash I see you removed the "pathetic" part. Good. ;) It was a bit over the top to call CDPR pathetic imo.
It was never my intention to call people pathetic. But this marketing is imo pathetic. Big difference.

But yeah, I changed it to make my point clearer. ;)

@Crivil
None of these games is a competitor to Witcher 3. They are all released months before Witcher 3. And anyway, announcing DLC months before the intial game is even released is imo weird (to say the least), no matter if they will be free or not. This is not about the game, it's about CDPR and about how they want to be seen: as the good guys, the heroes of game development. It's all about clever markeing and idealization of the devs themselves (same is true for their constant "we hate DLC" announcement/interviews etc every 2 or 3 months). At least that's my opinion

Last edited:
Marketing scheme...not harmful put pointless, especially given the date of the announcement (hint: months before the release of the game itself).

Jesus, CDPR tries so hard to "be the good guys" it almost hurts. Convince me with a good game, please, not with marketing efforts. Witcher 3 doesn't need self-stylized heroes as its makers, it just needs a bunch of good game developers.

View attachment 7287

Even if it is a marketing stunt, you know damn well we need devs like CDPR to do "marketing stunts" like this, I am tired of seeing useless paid DLCs ... (I am looking at you, Creative Assembly, and EA, etc ....)

Even if it is a marketing stunt, you know damn well we need devs like CDPR to do "marketing stunts" like this, I am tired of seeing useless paid DLCs ... (I am looking at you, Creative Assembly, and EA, etc ....)

No, we don't. All we need are good developers who make Witcher 3 as good as possible. If they want to release free DLC after release more power to them. No need to announce them in detail months before release of the game anyway. This doesn't benefit the game in any way.

@Kinley
Of course it works. Many people are so easily convinced by even the most simple forms of marketing, it's astonishing... ;)

I think you're being really cynical. When they did enhanced editions nobody said "They're trying so hard to be the good guys" because all these horrible business practices hardly existed in the industry. I think if they did this years ago nobody would make posts like this. It's the sad fact that the video game industry is so garbage with greed that anyone who gives free content is seen as disingenuous and only doing it for their companies reputation by a lot of people.

What is the point of such DLC? Why it can't be in game? I mean why I should wait and download them after I've started playing game? Especially Temerian Armor - can't it be in game from the start?! I can understand when DLC are added after month after release day but why on earth make this available in release day?! It looks like they cut some content from the game and make this DLC :D Just can't understand... sorry it's beyond my logic and imagination.

Well trying to look good in the eyes of gamers, by giving them free content, is much better marketing strategy, than charging big bucks for bullshit DLC from day one for the downgraded version of the game.

Imo.

What is the point of such DLC? Why it can't be in game? I mean why I should wait and download them after I've started playing game? Especially Temerian Armor - can't it be in game from the start?! I can understand when DLC are added after month after release day but why on earth make this available in release day?! It looks like they cut some content from the game and make this DLC :D Just can't understand... sorry it's beyond my logic and imagination.
Not all the DLC is day 1. It's being made and released over months after the game is out. They have to QA test all this new content too so it won't break anything else in the game. It's not all coming out at once

Then do explain how this would hurt the game in any way?

I already said that it's not harmful. It's just a marketing ploy to convince people to buy a product not based on usual reasons to buy it (-> quality) but because you "like" the developers. Let's just say that I don't like such marketing and I don't like this whole "CDPR are the heroes of game development" fandom. You know, the "really" good guys just do good work. They don't have to brag about it every second day. ;)

Last edited:
I already said that it's not harmful. It's just a marketing ploy to bring people to buy a product not based on usual reasons to buy it (-> quality) but because you "like" the developers. Let's just say that I don't like such marketing and I don't like this whole "CDPR are the heroes of game development" fandom. ;)

Besides the ad hominem, do you have anything else to add? :p

They have to stop adding things to the main release when it goes gold, they have to freeze it for testing, get it certified, manufacture the disks, all that stuff. So the actual deadline for anything new is well before the release date. This is stuff the team are working on while all that is happening.

Top Bottom