Dragon Age Keep for The Witcher series.

+

Dragon Age Keep for The Witcher series.

• Total voters
I also don't think there's a need for a Keep for The Witcher 3. There are far fewer transferable choices. Whereas the Dragon Age series has even minor choices carrying over to the next installment, The Witcher seems to stick to major choices for the most part.

I also don't think there's a need for a Keep for The Witcher 3. There are far fewer transferable choices. Whereas the Dragon Age series has even minor choices carrying over to the next installment, The Witcher seems to stick to major choices for the most part.
This is my thought as well. BioWare in DA and ME emphasized these transferable choices. It's part of their trademark by now. CDPR, as far as one sequel can teach is, doesn't prioritize it too much. It's fine by me. The Keep was required because BioWare wanted to transfer even some of the most remote decisions - such as killing Sir Landry or not. I think in TW3 CDPR will refer mostly to the main decisions of TW2. Off the top of my head, the state of the Council of Sorcerers and the Pontar Valley.

If CDPR will focus just on a small number of big decisions, they don't need anything as expansive as the Keep. It can easily and quickly be handled IG.

Sounds completely useless to me, The Witcher doesn't have world changing decisions like Bioware games (which have their own issues).

Actually, some choices do have rather drastically different outcomes that (should) affect the world-at-large.
Who you chose to go with at the end of Act 1 determines what becomes of Aedirn. On Roche's path, you can choose whether Henselt dies or not. Helping Roche in Act 3 results in a very different fate for Temeria. Then there's whether you rescue Triss or not, which determines whether an all-out mage-killing spree occurs.
Besides, even small choices can be expanded upon later, or just be referenced, which Witcher 2 did.

Last edited:
My personal take on this whole affair is that having a way outside starting a new game to be able to create a world state is FAR better then doing so in-game EVERY time you want to create a character.

Certainly with the length of TW3 it may not be such a big issue but it's still an annoyance. I would even take a very simple tool that let you tick boxes.

That said screw keep with it's always online requirement.

As for the magnitude of choices. Choices in TW2 generally deal with far less variables then Bioware. It's due to the fact Bioware games are party based games where your companions play a huge role, but also that smaller decisions are tied to larger ones. Not so much in TW series.

@TheEvilChris The choices in TW 2 should affect the outcome of the war in a significant way, after all the state of the north and how capable it is of handling Nilfgaard does vary greatly depending on your choices.

Also TW1 personality quests where you defined who Geralt cared or not cared about and his various perspectives, that's something we need back in the series.

Last edited:
If they will do it on the beginning of the game then I'll appreciate it.... if they will do it on some website, no thank you.

Last edited:
No,TW3 doesn't need something on that scale to handle choices from the previous installments.Something like what Obsidian did with Kotor II would be way better in my opinion because you could easly squeeze every choice we made in a 10-15 min dialog segment.

I would appreciate something at the beginning of the game that let us decide what happened in TW2 in short decision comic like Mass Effect did.

Easy/cheap way to import decisions from previous games.

I feel like a great way to implement the choices from the previous two games is to use a system like "dragon age keep" used for the game dragon age inquisition, for those who didn't play it the idea is that you can go to a website housing most or all of the important decisions from the previous games and simply pick the ones you chose in your playthroughs. Then importing that game state, via internet. While i'm NEVER a fan of copying another's idea (the gaming industry lately) this simple idea would help just about any RPG be compatible to cross over to any other system with ease and no gamer frustration. That seems to be very very simple, and more importantly for the game developers CHEAP to set up!! For people with crappy computers like me, this idea would be a godsend, we could play the PS4 witcher 3 and enjoy the orgasmic graphics for example while not having to trade off our lovingly crafted story experience.

:cheers:

The Dragon Age Keep took Bioware over 2 years to make, and it wasn't cheap either. Bioware's trademark at this point is making choices in a game that affect future games, and other than a few references i don't think decisions from previous games will make an impact in The Witcher 3 story wise. They'll most likely just have a character ask Geralt what happened in previous games and you'll make your decisions then.

Last edited:
It would probably be easier to handle it in-game. Say there's an interactive cutscene in the comic book style we've seen.

Attachments

• consolesaves.jpg
    consolesaves.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 85
It cheapens the previous games, so I don't think that it's a good thing. Problem with the Dragon Age Keep is that there isn't enough context for each choice, particularly the main story choices.

I think it would be better if there was a kind of comic to make your choices like how ME 3 did it.

Problem with the Dragon Age Keep is that there isn't enough context for each choice, particularly the main story choices.
You don't need more context when you played the games. Let's be honest: It was just a overblown way to carry your previous decisions over to a new game without an actual savegame.

I don't think DA:Keep was developed to introduce new people to the story.

Why only "no" has to be explained?? :D ;)

But ok, I will respect author's wish ... I don't think this is necessary - I don't know how "DA: Keep" exactly works, but what is so special about it? Why would I need something like that?

I want CDPR to focus on important things..

I asked about this long ago myself, I was pretty pleased with the way they handled Mass Effect's save import and creating for the previous titles and it did seem CDP is doing the same for TW3. While I found the Keep nicely done with the array of choices, but it's not without its faults, and besides having it in-game makes sense.
Now I don't know what to make of Chris' post, guess will just have to wait and see :S
(I do have all my save files forged as per my desires through countless playthroughs, but still this is a cool feature to have in the game)

IsengrimR

Sounds completely useless to me, The Witcher doesn't have world changing decisions like Bioware games (which have their own issues).

Witcher games has more world changing decisions that actually take effect, than any Bioware game. How much does the DA: Keep influence DA: I storyline?
In a minimal manner, some possible decisions redconned, some decisions put into absolute irrelevance. Get two lines of dialogue! "Your choices matter"...

Yeah, right Bioware, not in your games.
Saying how it is.

nah CDPR is too lazy for this they probably won't even give us a classic save game import which means our previous choices won't matter

Well, the choices from Witcher 1 did matter in Witcher 2. Some had small relevance, some had a bigger scope. They were not heavily relevant to the plot of Witcher 2, but are certainly very important to the state of the world.

CDPR is lazy now? Ok, I bash them at every turn, I disagree with their decisions. But two things I can say about them, they're not lazy, and they're the most competent devs in business at the very moment.

---

Bottom line is, save import or questions in the tutorial are both fine by me. If it's questioning, I hope there's a lot of them, and very detailed. We do not need a "keep".

Top Bottom