Is The Witcher 1 still playable?

+
The Witcher is the example of how open-world is overrated :sofa:
Yes I know, I am a blasphemer :)
But I never enjoyed any open world game, like I enjoyed W1 and W2...

Oh, oh!

Start to training for liking open-world... TW3 will come for proselytize the laymen and profane ones, muhahahaha!

Last edited:
The Witcher is the example of how open-world is overrated
Wrong. The Witcher needed no open world because it is brilliant anyway ;)
You are not seriously trying to tell me it was ok for you to be stoped by a branch?
I wish I could say the same for my graphics card, though
Mine too. But hey - we still have time. A lot of time.
Being so excited for the W3 open world.
View attachment 8635

Attachments

• blush.png
    blush.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 73
You are not seriously trying to tell me it was ok for you to be stoped by a branch?
No, being stoped by a branch is bad :) I had in mind a different thing...For example, why should Geralt fast travel from Lakeside to Vizima? Or from Loc Muinne back to Flotsam? That is what I'm trying to say...Open world is not needed to achieve brilliance, just like you said...
Anyway, I will repeat myself-I am confident that W3 will provide us both, good story+open world ;)

Is there anybody on this forum who's NOT replaying The Witcher at the moment? I started a new playthrough a few months ago, then got sidetracked, mainly due to real life happening. But then I fired it up again in anticipation of The Witcher 3, and all I can say is - wow! Everything about this game still blows me away and I so can't wait to be part of Geralt's world again. So anybody wondering if it is still playable, then, yes, go for it, you won't regret it. That's not to say it's a perfect game - is there such an animal? - but its good points far outweigh its bad ones, at least in my eyes.

Hey guys,

a real witcher newbie says hello. I just played through this game for the first time and I must say, despite the graphics being not up to date anymore, there are so many locations that are just beautiful. I had to stop and gaze at the beautiful scenery all the time. Most of the time I could not resist to capture the moments for eternity. Some examples:

And I must say that Vizima's sewers are probably the most beautiful sewers I have seen ever in a video game. :D All the details of dirt in the water and the beautiful light coming from aboth, it was a true "wow"-moment when I entered those for the first time.

Hey guys,

a real witcher newbie says hello. I just played through this game for the first time and I must say, despite the graphics being not up to date anymore, there are so many locations that are just beautiful. I had to stop and gaze at the beautiful scenery all the time. Most of the time I could not resist to capture the moments for eternity.

And I must say that Vizima's sewers are probably the most beautiful sewers I have seen ever in a video game. :D All the details of dirt in the water and the beautiful light coming from aboth, it was a true "wow"-moment when I entered those for the first time.

I know this feeling. The first times I played this game I spent more hours walking to every corner, here and there, letting pass the days than playing strictly the main story

I enjoyed the witcher 1 far more than I should have. I even bought all the books afterwards. So many great moments. Geralt's threat to the villagers " I will come back and slaying everything that cannot climb a tree...", captain werewolf, the wreath of immortales and the two sisters, Geralt and the Lady of the Lake: "Your ass puts others to shame..", the final confrontation "but.. but that sword is for monsters"....

Last edited:
Of course it's playable. Some here even would argue that they like it more than TW2.

---------- Updated at 02:27 AM ----------

Hey guys,

a real witcher newbie says hello. I just played through this game for the first time and I must say, despite the graphics being not up to date anymore, there are so many locations that are just beautiful. I had to stop and gaze at the beautiful scenery all the time. Most of the time I could not resist to capture the moments for eternity. Some examples:

Welcome to the forum! Those are great screenshots!

Since the game got delayed I really want to play both games before release but when I started TW1 it definitely felt outdated (as expected)
Do you still play it? Is it still enjoyable? Are there any mods etc. to improve the graphics?

No idea about mods, and yes, The Witcher 2 is far better graphics-wise, *but* The Witcher 1 is still an amazing game with an excellent story, giving a feeling of the old, traditional RPGs. Personally, I never let graphics, outdated or not, change my mind about games.

Hey guys,

Yup. The Witcher 1 is still one of the most beautiful games I've ever played in my life. :)

Of course it's playable. Some here even would argue that they like it more than TW2.

Last edited:
On Youtube someone wrote the following:

I have this game, I bought it a while ago because I was getting ready to try the 2nd one which i also have. But I cannot get myself to like this game. I just find it really boring, the combats is really complicated in how it works and Geralt is like a wet piece of paper against enemies. It feels very unpolished and rather clunky. I have been trying to force myself to like the game but I just can't get into it. But from what I've seen of the sequel it is a VAST improvement over it, so I've been forcing myself to play through it to the end to better know about things for the next game. So far I'm up to the first farmland area, after the old for had been raided and our stuff stolen.

Would you say you find this game not as good as the sequel? Or am I just not appreciative of the design of a game way ahead of its time? :p

This was my answer:

The first game is a special case, either you love it or hate it. The combat system is one of the essential points here. I personally like it very much, but I can see how other people don't. For me it just works, all the different potions with different effects and the additional ingredients encourage the player to experiment. And the most important part: You really feel like you are a witcher. But complicated is a term I would never apply here. Maybe you have such a hard time because you don't understand it yet.

In my opinion you can endure the clunky and unpolished parts, since there are not many of them. The unstable voice actor quality, some of the dev's design decisions ... it is all outweighed by the extremely atmospheric world, the lore, the interesting characters and the tone of the whole game.

But as I said, I can totally understand that this game is not something for everybody. I would not call it a masterpiece either... it is more like a diamond, unpolished in some places. And I really like how it shines most of the time.

------------------

What do you think? I'm quite satisfied with my words. :hmm:

so I've been forcing myself to play through it to the end to better know about things for the next game. So far I'm up to the first farmland area, after the old for had been raided and our stuff stolen.

That's been one of the main criticisms of Witcher 1 that I have heard, that the first chapter doesn't manage to suck you in with it's endless running around the fields and still confusing combat. Which is unfortunate, considering how the later chapters are just pure RPG goodness.

I recently played through it for the first time, nowadays usually when I start playing a game I lose interest half way in but the witcher managed to keep me hooked the whole way through. I mainly managed to look past the poor combat system thanks to the story, the amazing atmosphere the game had and it's memorable soundtrack (which made it more tolerable to run around the same maps over and over again :p) Chapter 4 was easily my favourite, I can't really find anything bad about the whole chapter, it was that good.

It's obviously quite dated, especially in terms of characters and animations but considering how the game was made by a previously unknown debut developer and using quite a dated engine, the result is quite impressive (seriously, some of the vistas in the game are wallpaper worthy)

Top Bottom