Obvious Downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think this will be a just port, as XO and PS4 are similar to a PC in every aspect (heck, they run on AMD hardware after all, which is actually a more powerful APU). But I agree that going with Nvidia Games Works is not a good thing for PC platforms. The technologies provided by Games Works is way to closed and exclusive. You can't offer ALL your players the complete experience using that crap...

Moderator: The moderators are willing to host a discussion of whether there is any intentional downgrading going on and the supposed reasons for it.

BUT WE ARE NOT GOING TO TOLERATE ANY INSULTS DIRECTED AT OTHER MEMBERS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU BELIEVE THEM TO BE JUSTIFIED, OR NOT REALLY INSULTS.

There will be posts deleted and members banned for this cause.

uncompressed version

GTX 980 struggle to maintain 30FPS on this (high settings)

this gpu i 600$ alone

not true at all, a single 980 kept 60 fps with a few dips cause the game hasnt been fully optimized yet.... see this is what i hate.... people just spouting out lies

Yes how amusing, crying censorship while breaking forum rules then wondering why posts are getting deleted. Might I suggest stating your points in a civilized manner without trying to attack and and every one?

Certain posts have been deleted.

not true at all, a single 980 kept 60 fps with a few dips cause the game hasnt been fully optimized yet.... see this is what i hate.... people just spouting out lies

Polish press. Right click to translate.

http://pclab.pl/art61452-3.html

I7 4790/GTX 980 was not running locked 30 FPS, high (not Ultra) with garbage AA. No hairworks (big surprise here as it was so awesome and performed so well in Far Cry 4).

http://www.purepc.pl/rozrywka/komputer_do_wiedzmin_3_dziki_gon_jaki_powinien_byc

"Optimization is high on the priority list of CD Projekt Red, although I am convinced that the average PC (any Core i3 or Core i5 plus GTX 660 / HD 7870) is unlikely to allow for the inclusion of high or even medium-sized parts. I do not believe in miracles".

"PS: The published screenshots look a little better than what I have seen with my own eyes, but probably this is due to the ultra settings and a resolution of 4K :)"

Xbox One assets, Nvidia Hairworks can't even be shown and probably will never be implemented or will be too much of a performance hit like it was in Far Cry 4. We could have had higher textures, but nope. Need Nvidia crap implemented that doesn't even work.

@facemeltingsolo

Hair works is in, they confirmed on stream. They also confirmed ubersampling is returning. I hope they optimize it more, I have a 770 and i5 4690k. I'd like to be able to run it at least a stable 30FPS if I have to. That's honestly my biggest worry right now

Last edited:

I7 4790/GTX 980 was not running locked 30 FPS, high (not Ultra) with garbage AA. No hairworks (big surprise here as it was so awesome and performed so well in Far Cry 4).

http://www.purepc.pl/rozrywka/komputer_do_wiedzmin_3_dziki_gon_jaki_powinien_byc

"Optimization is high on the priority list of CD Projekt Red, although I am convinced that the average PC (any Core i3 or Core i5 plus GTX 660 / HD 7870) is unlikely to allow for the inclusion of high or even medium-sized parts. I do not believe in miracles".

"PS: The published screenshots look a little better than what I have seen with my own eyes, but probably this is due to the ultra settings and a resolution of 4K :)"

Xbox One assets, Nvidia Hairworks can't even be shown and probably will never be implemented or will be too much of a performance hit like it was in Far Cry 4. We could have had higher textures, but nope. Need Nvidia crap implemented that doesn't even work.

30 FPS on a GTX 980, and not even on ultra, and many features turned off.......Oh great.....

And I read some previews where the autor had stated that the game looks better in motion than in screenshots.. and some wrote that the differences between all of the 3 version are really small, yet many others wrote that the PC version is clearly the best looking and that the console versions don't look nearly as good.. so the choice who you are going to believe is really up to you

@facemeltingsolo

Hair works is in, they confirmed on stream. They also confirmed ubersampling is returning. I hope they optimize it more, I have a 770 and i5 4690k. I'd like to be able to run it at least a stable 30FPS if I have to.

If this was a good port? A 770 blows away the GPU in the consoles and these assets are not 4 GB VRAM assets...

You should be playing at 60 FPS at console settings IF the port is good as long as you were not CPU bound. From all press accounts, they are not close yet to a "good port". Hairworks? You can say no to that on a GTX 770...Hairworks (and CDPR said so themselves in the article I posted earlier where they said all platforms use the same assets) has a tremendous performance hit. Unless you are on a OC 970/780/780ti/980 I wouldn't even worry about that.

Ubersampling. They said in the future and not now. I found this comment laughable as 2 980's would be like 10x the GPU power as a "next gen" console". To be honest with the same assets and the same settings? This game should be playable at 8xSSAA or 8k, if the console is doing 1080p. Like I said. That is if it was a GOOD port. Good ports don't exist on Nvidia Games Works black box library and this game seems to be no exception.

I see nothing positive from statements by CDPR or the Polish press. I see a console first game, with rushed optimization being done on the PC, that is currently performing horribly. This appears very much to be a console first game.

The game is not even finished. They took 2 more months to bug squash and optimize (and even polish the game more). And there will be probably post-release improvements via patches.

I've got near the recommended specs except for an i5 instead of an i7. I'm starting to doubt I can run this well. Also, am I reading that stuff about the assets right? Consoles have the same textures?

If this was a good port? A 770 blows away the GPU in the consoles and these assets are not 4 GB VRAM assets...

You should be playing at 60 FPS at console settings IF the port is good as long as you were not CPU bound. From all press accounts, they are not close yet. Hairworks? You can say no to that on a GTX 770...Hairworks (and CDPR said so themselves in the article I posted earlier where they said all platforms use the same assets) has a tremendous performance hit. Unless you are on a OC 970/780/780ti/980 I wouldn't even worry about that.

Ubersampling. They said in the future and not now. I found this comment laughable as 2 980's would be like 10x the GPU power as a "next gen" console". To be honest with the same assets and the same settings? This game should be playable at 8xSSAA or 8k, if the console is doing 1080p. Like I said. That is if it was a GOOD port. Good ports don't exist on Nvidia Games Works black box library and this game seems to be no exception.

I see nothing positive from statements by CDPR or the Polish press. I see a console first game, with rushed optimization being done on the PC, that is currently performing horribly. This appears very much to be a console first game.
You should read this preview, some more indepth talk about things http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ressions-translation-very-insightful-material

Where did they say in the future about ubersampling? On stream they confirmed it's coming back and I don't think they said later on after release. Personally, I don't really care if I can or can't have hair works on (Since it's only for animals seemingly), but it will be there. It's not dropped like people though it was.

---------- Updated at 05:34 PM ----------

Neogaf isn't the most reliable of sources.
They're linking two articles

maybe the pc versions is a port from ps4/x1
that can be the reason of the poor performance with hi-end machines
and they just add a few filters for nvidia users.

Neogaf is probably the BEST source for video game news. It is heavily vetted, astroturfers from companies are quickly ip banned.

Also? The statements from Neogaf? I linked the Polish press where those statements are.

As the mods are so fond of saying? Stop throwing around FUD...

You should be playing at 60 FPS at console settings IF the port is good as long as you were not CPU bound. From all press accounts, they are not close yet to a "good port". Hairworks? You can say no to that on a GTX 770...Hairworks (and CDPR said so themselves in the article I posted earlier where they said all platforms use the same assets) has a tremendous performance hit. Unless you are on a OC 970/780/780ti/980 I wouldn't even worry about that.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Some factual points :

- Console hardware, like it or not, has a few neat hardware tricks PC can't have. Really help with the performance.
- The current state of DirectX on PC is abysmal. Command lists can only be submitted by a single core, and that is the ideal case when you were able to build them in a multithreaded way. There is a huge performance pool waiting to be tapped into by DirectX12/Mantle.

Therefore I don't think the performance scalability factors you are claiming are very realistic if the game releases on DX11. Will a PC with a 2GB 770 be able to run TW3 as well as a PS4 on equal settings? Definitely not, mainly because of memory issues. Will 60fps be a reality on High? I absolutely think so. On Ultra? I highly doubt it outside of SLI setups. Talking about 8k or 8xSSAA with today's card's fillrate capacity is in my opinion ludicrous. These things don't work like that. Thus I don't think the game's optimization in its early states is particularly botched. From an engineering standpoint, there is certainly no reason to believe so. Also, Neogaf has a lot of agenda issues and grandstanding. Only Durante made a valid point - and he knows his stuff as you are well aware. That is : wait for benchmarks.

I agree about gameworks and asset fidelity as well as rendering tweaks specific to the PC platform, but at this point these are merely speculations. I made my point about all that earlier :).

Last edited:

if you would bother to open the link you would see that this post contains links to other articles which state this.
Those articles comes from people who played the game on recent hands-on.

post on gaf is just summary containing translations from polish sites

I'm not sure what you mean by bait and switch, and I don't care much for you trying to ridicule by caps lock, bad spelling and juvenile internet slang, but either way - so what if the trailer is "still out there"? I'm not sure what the point of that statement is. Nor am I sure how am I to find out they're being the opposite of honest? Where are they being the opposite? How will I find that out? Do I know this now, or will I discover it once the game is released? If it's the latter, I don't know no more than you do. If it's the former, I'm not sure where their dishonesty is hidden, considering they're releasing updated footage.

AngusMacAskill, I wrote a relatively detailed explanation of how this is not false advertising, of how they have released updated material and thus them being honest by presenting us the game in its changed state, and your rebuttal is... not addressing any of it? Are you in this for a discussion, or just to jab? Because I don't see how this post of yours, which is addressing me but doesn't address my points, is constructive.

This is what I don't get here (among many things). Why does this discussion repeatedly downgrade to this vitriol?

I'm probably pissing against the wind here with this "let's all get together and sing Kumbaya" moment of mine, because when did that ever work on the internet, especially during an argument? But it's boggling my mind. I'm not against discussions or disagreements, but for the life of me I don't understand why some people are so hostile and spiteful about this matter, to the point where they continually either flamebait or disparage those who disagree with them, be it in a passive-aggressive manner or just open scorn.

I usually roll my eyes when I read comments like this my own right here, and tend to be very cynical about them, but I can't help it this time around.

People are allowed to choose whatever hobby they want and be as enthusiastic as they like about it, and specific aspects of it - like graphics. I myself dedicate most of my spare time to gaming, so I know how people can become emotional about it. But this is one of those threads where 'discussion' has reached such a disrespectful low and pointlessness that I'm suddenly slapped across the face and take a step back, after I realize how much energy I've been spending on something ultimately inconsequential and how petty I've become about it. I, and I'm going to guess that many others here, too, are in this for the fun, and not as some semi-religious crusade to reform the industry.

Because, ultimately, what is the end goal of this thread? What is its point, after 260 pages and going?

Is it to all feel victims together?

Is it to rally a mass boycott against the malicious CDPR?

Let's say that tomorrow morning, we all wake up and agree that the graphics have been downgraded. Atrociously downgraded, even.

Then what?

I'm not a crusader. I will buy the game, regardless of how evilly the developers are cackling in their secret headquarters, blowing their noses and wiping their asses with Benjamin Franklins. Even if there is a massive downgrade, and even if it is out of malevolent reasons, this will not affect my purchase.

I'm going to take a wild guess here, and say that the millions of people TW3 is targeting... don't really care. They don't follow the development as tightly as we do - we're the minority. The core 'fans'. Those who drink in every new article and analyze the shit out of every screenshot. I'm following TW3 heavily, for instance, and I don't really know what's going on with Bloodborne, MGS5, Arkham Knight, Order 1886. If they're downgraded, I'll go 'meh' - and buy them anyway (considering the impressions of people are positive overall). And this is coming from someone who spends a lot of free time following gaming news.

I don't think that most gamers worldwide follow gaming news as we do, let alone a specific game like we do.

My point with this drawl? Any concrete end goal of this thread, other than just discussing it, isn't likely to achieve anything. People will buy the game, because everything else is solid. Thing is, often during this thread, the downgrade is waved about as if this will determine the fate of the Wild Hunt. Or just serves for endless provocation, like some are falling into by constantly posting comparison photos for the umpteenth time, or just responding to people by mocking emoticons. We're way past the point, it seems, of trying to reach any insightful point - we're just trying to be right, for the sole purpose of being right.

I mean... let's try something. Hell, for the sake of it. This isn't a matter of principle for me, because, honestly, at the end of the day it's just a game in the grand scheme of things (for my life). So - @Mozalbete , fine, there's a downgrade. A despicable one.

You are right.

You were always right.

What happens now?

Is it May 19 already?

This post of mine has fattened into something short of a blog and just rambling, so I'll stop it here. Hopefully I'll have the discipline to overcome my morbid curiosity and my urge to follow every thread, and just stay away from this one as an exception. Because it's been far too long since it generated anything of worth, and it's mostly bringing out the worst in internet users. Hell, it even pushed me towards this self-conscious sappy Dear Diary entry.

A sensible post, for which I’m grateful.

There’s a certain flair of irony to it though, a common theme in a thread where members drop by to wonder «Is this still going on?». Yes, it is. And with each new post that gets posted, the thread goes on to go on one post further. More importantly though, with each batch of promotional material, the thread is furbished with renewed reasons to exist.

I find your depiction of the emotional turmoil accurate, but partial. The flipside of what you describe is the trail of highly charged reactions from downgrade-deniers. For example, there was that awkward yet insightful forum moment where a few were claiming the original Elder Blood trailer was in no way sub-par, they kept claiming it vehemently and insistently, until that is Evil Chris chimed in in a seemingly candid act of contrition to describe how video encoding had gone terribly wrong. Such intransigent stance by some was instantly exposed for the extended knee jerk reaction that it fundamentally was. For whatever reason, you omitted this from your depiction of the thread.

You also failed to mention the very emotional latching on to the word «downgrade» that persists on around here and which constitutes the second line of defence of those who insist all is well in the Kingdom of Denmark. Surely, you realize a downgrade is a process, whose inexistence, if proven, would say absolutely nothing about the new assets we were treated to for the first time in the latest footage. In other words, Evil Chris and Marcin can very well assert that absolutely no downgrade, the process, has happened and indeed that can be entirely true if VGX and SoD assets remain intact. That however does not address the disparity and has no bearing on the quality of the latest. The inexistence of a downgrade and the disappointing quality of some of the more recent material are not mutually exclusive.

And yet the downgrade has not been conclusively disproven. I do realize the burden of proof lies with those claiming it’s happened alright. Take the latest piece of news regarding texture parity, that all three platforms essentially share the same sets. It’s illuminating. The rationale is sound: CD Projekt does not have the resources, namely manpower, to build, test and debug three significantly different versions of the game. While this decision is entirely logical, reasonable and responsible, while it may have been vital, the only viable path to take, it also raises some serious questions. For example, could it be the VGX trailer, the apex of graphical fidelity the game has yet to live up to, was shot at a time where that pivotal decision was not in full effect and we are only now witnessing its impactful consequences?

So while I welcome your post and its reasonableness I can’t help but notice an element of irony in its appeal to a Kumbaya moment, its appeal to a brotherly reconciliation based on feelings instead of facts. What got us here, to this heated language, the vilification of others, was precisely a widespread caving in to emotions. Best to return to logic, to an actual discussion. And if we are to return to a rational consideration of the facts, then I’d say for the first time since the allegations were made, there’s now a strong case for a downgrade to be made.

Thanks for your post.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Some factual points :

- Console hardware, like it or not, has a few neat hardware tricks PC can't have. Really help with the performance.
- The current state of DirectX on PC is abysmal. Command lists can only be submitted by a single core, and that is the ideal case when you were able to build them in a multithreaded way. There is a huge performance pool waiting to be tapped into by DirectX12/Mantle.

Therefore I don't think the performance scalability factors you are claiming are very realistic if the game releases on DX11. Will a PC with a 2GB 770 be able to run TW3 as well as a PS4 on equal settings? Definitely not, mainly because of memory issues. Will 60fps be a reality on High? I absolutely think so. On Ultra? I highly doubt it outside of SLI setups. Talking about 8k or 8xSSAA with today's card's fillrate capacity is in my opinion ludicrous. These things don't work like that.

I agree about gameworks and asset fidelity as well as rendering tweaks specific to the PC platform, but at this point these are merely speculations. I made my point about all that earlier :).

^ Definition of FUD.

Unified memory pool? The SDK's give access to like 4.5 gigs TOTAL between VRAM/game memory and the rest is reserved to the OS. Both consoles are in fact flawed. PS4 on the CPU due to memory (you want low latency for CPU), and this is why PS4 has had lower FPS in open world games like AC Unity. Xbox One is flawed on GPU ram, where you want bandwidth.

As long as the PC has enough VRAM (3 gigs is more than either console can push and the max a PS4 has pushed is 2.5 in a game) and system ram (and everyone builds with 8 gigs of ram), the PC has the IDEAL ram setup.

API? Yup, open world games like Witcher 3 would have bennefitted a hell of a lot more from something like AMD Mantle than Games Works. That is besides the point though. The 1.6 and .1.7 ghz CPU's in the consoles, even with a low level API can't come close to a I5 K/I7k. We may not see a locked 60 due to API though.The consoles are at 30 though...

So IF this game uses the high end of what a PS4 can push? Yup a 2 gig GTX 770 would suffer a little bit in comparison. A 150 dollar R9 280, 3 TFLOP GPU with 3 GB VRAM? Should be blowing the 1.31 TFLOP XB1 GPU, 1.7 TFLOP PS4 GPU away.

Something like a STOCK R9 290? Is 5 TLOPS.

Sorry but the API thing is BS, when these consoles can't run a game like Guild Wars 2, even with a low level API. Low level API's WILL help PC, but stating that we are behind with our current API? Not even close. Not on a decent CPU.

If any PC port runs slower on something like an I5 as far as FPS than a console mobile chip? The port was EXTREMELY lazy. Hell even AC Unity can be locked at 30 FPS and run better on a PC than a console and that was a horrible port.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom