Movies / TV Shows!

+
I finally got around to watching Gone Girl and it was fantastic. I'd usually expect a movie like it to be full of suspense - but it was not, instead it told the story in an interesting way and kept me curious the whole time. Great characters, intriguing story, and yet another awesome soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. Recommendations all around.

Oh, and I'd seen X-Men: Days of Future Past as well, it was... messy, to say the least, but hell if it wasn't entertaining. I'm not sure where they were going with it to begin with, or where the X-Men movies are going as a whole...

What I really liked about Gone Girl, and many people won't agree with me on this, is the ending.
Starting with their argument,
Amy Dunne: I'm the cunt you married. The only time you liked yourself was when you were trying to be someone this cunt might like. I'm not a quitter, I'm that cunt. I killed for you; who else can say that? You think you'd be happy with a nice Midwestern girl? No way, baby! I'm it.
These "most fucked-up people I've ever met" are inextricably stuck with each other. He can't leave her, and she can't lay a hand on him. Stalemate.

James Clavell's Shogun, Toshiro Mifune, Richard Chamberlain, John Rhys Davies, pretty much a perfect piece of telly. Wish I could speak Japanese.

Yup, great series. Mifune is an incredible actor. I have it on DVD, but haven't watched it in quite some time and I should change that soon. The book is fantastic too, but a monster to get through, like pretty much all of Clavell's work.

Think i'll pop out and get Gone Girl Blu-Ray when it's out, cheers for recommendation.

Edit: What i'm surprised about with Shogun is how much of the Japanese I understand simply from tone and body language, i'd heard before while training in close protection that conversation is something like 55% tone, 37% body language and just 8% or so what is said, but this is first time i've seen it in action. Mifune's especially good at this, a look from him can speak several paragraphs.

Last edited:
Shogun was great, I watched it first time around and was eager to catch each new episode as it came around. Also did the same with Tinker Tailor, and Smiley's People, and Anzacs from the same general period.

On the subject of "Japanese" cinema ~ I also loved Ran - a gorgeous rendition of King Lear in a Japanese setting, by Kurosawa.

Shogun was great, I watched it first time around and was eager to catch each new episode as it came around. Also did the same with Tinker Tailor, and Smiley's People, and Anzacs from the same general period.

On the subject of "Japanese" cinema ~ I also loved Ran - a gorgeous rendition of King Lear in a Japanese setting, by Kurosawa.

Kurosawa was an amazing director and he has so many timeless and well done films - Ran, Rashumon, Yojimbo, Seven Samurai, Ikuru, Hidden Fortress, and so many more....not to mention the impact his films had on so many other directors and movies.

Think i'll pop out and get Gone Girl Blu-Ray when it's out, cheers for recommendation.

Edit: What i'm surprised about with Shogun is how much of the Japanese I understand simply from tone and body language, i'd heard before while training in close protection that conversation is something like 55% tone, 37% body language and just 8% or so what is said, but this is first time i've seen it in action. Mifune's especially good at this, a look from him can speak several paragraphs.

Kurosawa said Mifune could convey an emotion more effectively than any other actor. "The ordinary Japanese actor might need ten feet of film to get across an impression. Toshiro Mifune needed only three." Most iconically, as the original Man With No Name, Kuwabataki Sanjuro, in Yojimbo.

The dragon looks full grown...

Nope, still a baby... but large enough to eat people, or to ride on. These aren't the stunted runts that Tywin assumed.

What I really liked about Gone Girl, and many people won't agree with me on this, is the ending.
Starting with their argument,

These "most fucked-up people I've ever met" are inextricably stuck with each other. He can't leave her, and she can't lay a hand on him. Stalemate.

Hey, I am with you on that, 100%.

That last shot of Nick sitting a bit to the side of the couch, lowering his head down, right at moment when the presenter hugs Amy.

Very subtle, yet powerful.

Last edited:
Watched Predestination the other day and really enjoyed it. If you're a fan of time-travel movies, it's highly recommended. It's one of those movies where just naming any theme beyond that will spoil it. I'll just say that it's not a Back to the Future time travel movie - that one is more of a light-hearted adventure. Predestination is the sort that will make you go 'huh?' and then try to wrap your mind around it.

Watched Whiplash. Great movie.

Gone girl was my favourite movie last year (along with Under the skin).

Since I know @Sardukhar was interested in some thoughts on this movie.

Watched it, liked it. Good fun, leave your brain at the door. Some great fight scenes, the one between Sean Bean and Channing Tatum the best, I thought. And not just because Bean hammers the shit out of Tatum's character - easily.

I look forward to the next one.

Top Bottom