Movies / TV Shows!

+
Song of the Sea. The latest from Tomm Moore and Cartoon Saloon, who also directed "Brendan and the Secret of Kells". Old-school animation, atmospheric and wistful, with a story assembled from Irish legendary figures and selkies and fairies. This is a film of great beauty.

"The man's a master storyteller, and we can only hope he has many, many more stories to tell." (Todd Browne of Twitch Film)

It's gotten publicity and distribution in Europe, but is hard to find in the US; only one art house in L.A. has it, and we had a chance to go up to L.A. and see it today.

Not a movie but certainly great atmosphere & beautiful ;).... Instantly thought of this as I checked your trailer
[video=youtube;V2A7h9-Y_yE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2A7h9-Y_yE[/video]

Last edited:
Tried to watch the premiere of "Better Call Saul" last night. Changed the channel by unanimous agreement after four failed scenes in 20 minutes.

There is such a thing as a character who amuses you, or annoys you, or who earns your sympathy or your revulsion when he's put upon by the whole world and a failure at everything. There are writers who can script these characters, and actors who can give them at least a semblance of life. This show has neither.

Song of the Sea. The latest from Tomm Moore and Cartoon Saloon, who also directed "Brendan and the Secret of Kells".

I'm glad I popped in here in time to catch this. I also recommend anything from these guys, "Brendan and the Secret of Kells" is a charming animation which while old-skool has some lovely stylistic scenes worth watching for. The story is a cut above too, while gentle overall, it has its moments of mild darkness, and its worth saying I found its story to be religion-neutral since at first investigation it may give another impression. Also starring the first cat to be immortalised in poetry... Pangur Bán

I and Pangur Ban my cat,
'Tis a like task we are at:
Hunting mice is his delight,
Hunting words I sit all night.

Better far than praise of men
'Tis to sit with book and pen;
Pangur bears me no ill-will,
He too plies his simple skill.

'Tis a merry task to see
At our tasks how glad are we,
When at home we sit and find
Entertainment to our mind.

Oftentimes a mouse will stray
In the hero Pangur's way;
Oftentimes my keen thought set
Takes a meaning in its net.

'Gainst the wall he sets his eye
Full and fierce and sharp and sly;
'Gainst the wall of knowledge I
All my little wisdom try.

When a mouse darts from its den,
O how glad is Pangur then!
O what gladness do I prove
When I solve the doubts I love!

So in peace our task we ply,
Pangur Ban, my cat, and I;
In our arts we find our bliss,
I have mine and he has his.

Practice every day has made
Pangur perfect in his trade;
I get wisdom day and night
Turning darkness into light.

I'll definitely be getting Song of the Sea. Thanks for the info.

Sorry to hear about Saul though.... it did seem like the project was taking too long... :(

I'm glad I popped in here in time to catch this. I also recommend anything from these guys, "Brendan and the Secret of Kells" is a charming animation which while old-skool has some lovely stylistic scenes worth watching for. The story is a cut above too, while gentle overall, it has its moments of mild darkness, and its worth saying I found its story to be religion-neutral since at first investigation it may give another impression. Also starring the first cat to be immortalised in poetry... Pangur Bán

I'll definitely be getting Song of the Sea. Thanks for the info.

Sorry to hear about Saul though.... it did seem like the project was taking too long... :(

It may be better than I gave it credit for. I have a really nauseous distaste for what passes for character comedy in mainstream TV.

Definitely have to have Brendan and the Secret of Kells, though.

They could've fumbled the first show due to the pressure on this one, could even be too many cooks on it for the same reason, plus Breaking Bad was an unexpected hit... I guess thats one benefit of not having access to the newest shows immediately, they get road tested first by others ;)

Kells was a pretty big surprise to me when I watched it, just how tight it was in its own skin, the direction it took is not one often travelled, in film anyway, and it danced its way there as nimbly and sleekit as a cat up a tree...

I watched Akira for the first time a few days ago... superb animation quality for its time and well.. it's a pretty neat cyberpunk movie(in a bit unconventional sense).

When I watched it, long, long time ago, it had not yet not become a worship film, but it revolutioned the anime culture. It dignified the animes in Western and mature people started to be interested in this industry.

Now even Harlock is a 3d movie!

In my list too, soon.

Maybe because I belong to the oldschool and elieve that nothing's better than the original one, but after Captain Harlock, even Cowboy Bebop seemed in a lower level...

I watched the first episode of Better Call Saul myself and while for a lot it I was annoyed by the humor by the end it started to get quite interesting. Subtle nod with the trashcan to Breaking Bad.

I've just watched 2 days ago the first 2 episodes of The Strain... any comment?
Terrible :p

Continue watching if you want to see an 80 year old Romian freed jew man limp and cough around trying to kill vampires with his cane sword. (That's actually a very fun thing to do, I watched the whole season)

Thank you! ... So it doesn't matter if I miss any episode :p Good to know ;)

At the first sight I thought it were about one apocalyptic contagion raised at an original way but then I saw that it was vampires .... disappointment was great. The only vampires that I liked are those from the Underworld.

Maybe because I belong to the oldschool and elieve that nothing's better than the original one, but after Captain Harlock, even Cowboy Bebop seemed in a lower level...

Something better than Cowboy Bebop!? I have to watch it now! : O

Jaffa Kree!

My favorite show..

Top Bottom