Obvious Downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but according to my understanding meshes and textures are initially created with superior quality and then scaled down to several levels commonly labeled low,medium,high and ultra. Consloles tend to use high level models and textures, leaving ultra for PC. The interviews imply that there are no ultra quality assets available in the game which would not only be disappointing but also rather uncommon.
Hopefully this is BS along with some other PR claims we've heard recently.

Mhmm that's what I find strange.

Models being the same quality? Sure, it's ridiculous to think PC would have its own version of Geralt with 5,000 more Polygons on the Ultra setting.
However simply having better textures? Or foliage/vegetation quality? That's pretty much stock standard, fuck even the king of horrid PC ports - Ubisoft, still always has an "Ultra" level of textures and various other effects (Reflections, Shadows, Vegetation, Geometry etc)...

This is added to a whole massive list of reasons as to why my brain is just outright rejecting everything that Badowski said. Unless CDPR have suddenly gone full retard, and not only done something incredibly stupid by their standards, but incredibly stupid by the standards of the entire developer world, then almost everything he said doesn't make a lick of sense at all.

Developing a game for a closed platform involves testing assets and checking if they're low enough, and downgrading them if they're not, so one could argue that the PC version is being downgraded due to the development being focused on the console version.

My apologies, but I respectfully retire from this thread and debate. If after three thousand posts we have devolved to debating the definition of downgrade, then I really do have more exciting and rejuvenating threads to read and more stimulating discussions to have. I hope you find whatever answers you are looking for. Have a good day.

Edit: hey, did the forum just edit my bmp into a jpeg.

Yup, it does. And it does a LOT of compression. I've posted photographic images in the forums that turn into absolute shit compared to the originals. You need to use an external site.

And, incidentally, imgur does lossless compression if the originals are fairly small, but uses lossy compression for large images. As do a lot of other hosting sites.

My apologies, but I respectfully retire from this thread and debate. If after three thousand posts we have devolved to debating the definition of downgrade, then I really do have more exciting and rejuvenating threads to read and more stimulating discussions to have. I hope you find whatever answers you are looking for. Have a good day.

No need to apologize, it's normal to get a little heated when we read worrying stuff about a game we all have been waiting for years, it happened to me when the article first came out.
I also hope we get answers, if not here in a new thread, as it seems more people are concerned. Have a good day as well.

Last edited:
Come on people stop talking about downgrade. CDPR earlier didn't show nothing which looks much better then this last video.

Skyrim's lack of optimization wasn't even something the developers needed to do by hand, they literally forgot to tick certain boxes in the compiler options before building. I can't get my head around that level of incompetence.

I know.
That's why i say that devs don't care about PC. Almost nobody pulls maximum from the PC hardware.

And let's be honest here, TW3 is the best looking open world game out there. Especially for consoles. For pc the heavy modded Skyrim might beat it but the modded version is unstable and quite difficult to get.

Not even close. Skyrim has poor geometry.

I just don't understand why people can't wait a few months until the thing is out to judge it?

Why does CDPR need to "prove" themselves right this moment when the game will speak for itself? And frankly, if you think they are liars why would you even believe them if they did? They'll probably just feed you more bullshots and vertical slices, right?

At this moment its just flat out slanderous to come to any conclusions about "downgrading". If it turns out the game cannot achieve what is in the VGX/SOD trailer... then absolutely, this is a valid discussion to have then and CDPR deserves all the shit slinging, especially since they have stuck to their guns about their not being a downgrade. However, what if it does live up to those trailers? Then all this bickering and smearing their reputation was over nothing.

People are oversensitive in these days, after flops like Alien: Colonial Marines, AC: Unity, Watch Dogs. I can understand the scepticism - a dose of it is always healthy, but making conspiracy theories and bullshit comparisons over minute things, which are present here in spades, is just mind boggling.

No matter how good the game will look on ultra, no matter how many options it will have, no matter how well it's optimized, these people have already set themselves on that thought train and you won't change it, even if W3 had a graphical fidelity of a new Unreal Engine 4 demo.

It's a very sad spectacle.

People are oversensitive in these days, after flops like Alien: Colonial Marines, AC: Unity, Watch Dogs. I can understand the scepticism - a dose of it is always healthy, but making conspiracy theories and bullshit comparisons over minute things, which are present here in spades, is just mind boggling.

No matter how good the game will look on ultra, no matter how many options it will have, no matter how well it's optimized, these people have already set themselves on that thought train and you won't change it, even if W3 had a graphical fidelity of a new Unreal Engine 4 demo.

It's a very sad spectacle.

That's quite the indictment, yet you mention no names. I haven't seen the immutably unreasonable people that you just described participating in this thread. I wonder if I share their company. I would think the opposite: if the game looked as gorgeous as the best of what we've seen before, that would settle everything. Why wouldn't it?

Not even close. Skyrim has poor geometry.

Well that's true, but it's impressive what they managed to get out of the game. Especially the lighting and effects (like water etc.)

That's quite the indictment, yet you mention no names. I haven't seen the immutably unreasonable people that you just described participating in this thread. I wonder if I share their company. I would think the opposite: if the game looked as gorgeous as the best of what we've seen before, that would settle everything. Why wouldn't it?

Well we have seen the game at some pretty high levels (graphically) and yet people keep this thread alive.

@Shiski how does it look inferior? If you can show me pictures were the textures and quality are really worse, I'll believe you. If it's just some effects and lighting that's different then that has been 'explained' some few pages back. (or it was another thread, can't remember)

Attachments

• graphics-cockroaches-399951.gif
    graphics-cockroaches-399951.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 47
Read Adam Badowski in the interview that there's only One version of the game. It will look the same across all platforms. The textures will be the same. The only difference for PC is 30 and 60FPS. Is this real? Why is CDPR turning it's back against their fans who originally playing on PC platform?

@freakie1one I know, and yes I'm guilty of keeping this thing alive as well but I somehow can't stand it when the last post in the thread is someone who still screams: downgrade! (I know I have issue's, I'm working on 'em :p )

@archaven that isn't a downgrade, and sharing models between platforms isn't bad. Have you seen how Geralt looks? It's is a open world game so TW3 would never have been the new Crysis 3(or 4). And they haven't lied to us because we can recreate the scene's from previous released trailers. (including the SoD trailer) So there hasn't been a downgrade because the game can still look like we have seen in the first trailers and screenshots.

I think we may actually shut it down now, at least until some new info comes along. I think everyone seems to have given their feedback....

So it looks like jackalj got the last word. But keep working on those issues. :)

(PS - And no, that doesn't mean you all get to start a new thread in five minutes, or post the downgrade stuff in other threads. Whatever you want to say is probably somewhere in the last 3000 posts. The discussion will start again when there's something new, if necessary.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom