Graphic downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nahr

Forum regular
first of all, im a pc gamer and a big witcher fan. i have part 1 and 2 in various Editions and spent at least 400 euro in this series.
the game Looks more worse from Trailer to Trailer, the newest one not much better than a modded skyrim. i dislike you stance towards consoles (Card set in xbox Edition) your console focused Marketing campaigns and the bullshit you are saying the last few months. the game Looks more and more like a console game, and my interest fades from Trailer to Trailer. sad to see another good developer goes the console way.

sincerely

an ex fan

(i will put the ce for 300 euros on ebey, if anyone is interested pm me)

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYZpR51XgW0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhwXjqSEobI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pV5r4ePww8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fly9MAyEq_Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L33CLNWXTdg

Usually you expect a game to look just like it's advertised to look. Especially when "Gameplay" is in the title.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ_G6XiHoUA

That logic sounds like the kind of logic I believe I heard when Dark Souls 2 came out and featured none of the lighting, quality assets, etc that it was advertised to have.

Out of curiosity, would you prefer if cg story trailers and box art were the only prerelease content we ever got to see? Would you rather CDPR only speak through PR people in very general terms, never offering any specifics or details... "Hopefully, you like this game!" Would you want all the press and retailers to be strictly behind closed door previews with heavily enforced embargoes?

first of all, im a pc gamer and a big witcher fan. i have part 1 and 2 in various Editions and spent at least 400 euro in this series.
the game Looks more worse from Trailer to Trailer, the newest one not much better than a modded skyrim. i dislike you stance towards consoles (Card set in xbox Edition) your console focused Marketing campaigns and the bullshit you are saying the last few months. the game Looks more and more like a console game, and my interest fades from Trailer to Trailer. sad to see another good developer goes the console way.

sincerely

an ex fan

(i will put the ce for 300 euros on ebey, if anyone is interested pm me)

What are you doing of the story and gameplay? you didn't mentioned them at all, are the graphics so important for you? :/

Out of curiosity, would you prefer if cg story trailers and box art were the only prerelease content we ever got to see? Would you rather CDPR only speak through PR people in very general terms, never offering any specifics or details... "Hopefully, you like this game!" Would you want all the press and retailers to be strictly behind closed door previews with heavily enforced embargoes?

Where is this even coming from? I thought I made it clear I want the exact opposite of that in the GDC/Pax thread. Letting consumers see more of your product is a good thing. That's why I want to see The Witcher 3 looking at its very best.
I preordered The Witcher 3 Collector's Edition as fast as I could because I really enjoyed the previous games and was excited at what they were showing. The only things I really have issues with so far is the quality of the visuals compared to what was previously shown in screenshots and footage and the fact that the Collector's Edition for the Xbox One offers more than the PC Collector's Edition. I'm not going to cancel my preorder because of those 2 things because I have a good feeling I'll enjoy The Witcher 3 no matter what.

Nahr

Forum regular
What are you doing of the story and gameplay? you didn't mentioned them at all, are the graphics so important for you? :/

i dont really care about the Story, i like to explore an atmospheric world (hell i even like gothic 3), the gameplay is anyway tied to a console Controller, so it has to be garbage like witcher 2

Where is this even coming from? I thought I made it clear I want the exact opposite of that in the GDC/Pax thread. Letting consumers see more of your product is a good thing. That's why I want to see The Witcher 3 looking at its very best.
I preordered The Witcher 3 Collector's Edition as fast as I could because I really enjoyed the previous games and was excited at what they were showing. The only things I really have issues with so far is the quality of the visuals compared to what was previously shown in screenshots and footage and the fact that the Collector's Edition for the Xbox One offers more than the PC Collector's Edition. I'm not going to cancel my preorder because of those 2 things because I have a good feeling I'll enjoy The Witcher 3 no matter what.

Im not saying that you wont enjoy the game, i dont know where that is coming from. Im just curious about expectations and the implication that developers should never show anything and then downgrade, remove, or change it before release. The truth is that every game has a cutting room floor full of idea, both ambitious and mundane, that just didnt work for some reason. So, considering anything can change before release, how should they advertise their project?

i dont really care about the Story, i like to explore an atmospheric world (hell i even like gothic 3), the gameplay is anyway tied to a console Controller, so it has to be garbage like witcher 2

Doesn't The Witcher 3 looks atmospheric? And there is plenty of places to explore that's for sure, as for gameplay, they vastly improved it and it will be fully compatible with kb/m, you have to remember though, this type of game, 3rd person action games plays very well with a controller, it doesn't mean it is automatically garbage or made for consoles... Erf, opinions I guess...

Nahr

Forum regular
Doesn't The Witcher 3 looks atmospheric? And there is plenty of places to explore that's for sure, as for gameplay, they vastly improved it and it will be fully compatible with kb/m, you have to remember though, this type of game, 3rd person action games plays very well with a controller, it doesn't mean it is automatically garbage or made for consoles... Erf, opinions I guess...
yeah but it has to look good, and this doesnt look good, it Looks like ass. w2 played horrible with kb and mouse
put 500 euros to upgrade my rig to have a nice expirience, this would have run on my 4 year old Laptop haha.
at least i can Play wow with 150 fps on Ultra now(which Looks better than this)
http://i.imgur.com/2W6Hzx8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/lQcphEH.jpg
end of Story for me.
i think next gen Begins with star citizen for me unfortunately

Last edited:
Im not saying that you wont enjoy the game, i dont know where that is coming from. Im just curious about expectations and the implication that developers should never show anything and then downgrade, remove, or change it before release. The truth is that every game has a cutting room floor full of idea, both ambitious and mundane, that just didnt work for some reason. So, considering anything can change before release, how should they advertise their project?

My post was in response to a post saying that early trailers were considered marketing and that nobody should expect the final version of the game to look like what was advertised. That idea is, excuse my language, complete bullshit. Especially when a company advertises a trailer as gameplay. I brought up the case of Dark Souls 2 because From showed gameplay with the old lighting and high quality textures. Then, without warning, all of that was dropped. Hell, they even had a build they showed off and let people play that had the old lighting and textures. How is somebody NOT supposed to think the final product will end up like that?
I never once implied developers should not show off anything, I really don't know how you got that from my post. I provided links where the quality of early footage matched the end quality of games. Things get cut in development due to time restraint, budget, ideas not working out, etc. I get that. But if you release gameplay footage from awhile ago that people agree doesn't match up visually to more recent gameplay footage, then I think we should get a little more confirmation on what's going on rather than just "There is no downgrade" and "We want the player to be wowed on Ultra, that's why we're not showing it".

@vixraine I completely agree, and your description of what is happening in both images helps too. It's difficult to tell what's happening with ultra, IMO, because those settings I think aren't real until optimisation is complete. There's no real point in discussing the settings until we see them in the final product.

it could be that I'm relativity ill educated in graphics, but I'm quite optimistic for tw3 regardless of what you've pointed out-- as you say, it does seem to be looking up in the latest footage, and I suspect it can only get better from here.

As for the large posts about everyone being a little bit in denial vs people interpreting work in progress footage as upgrades or downgrades-- I'm only a part of this because of the accusations that cdpr is directly trying to falsely advertise their game. That ain't cool.

In the realm of developers doing graphics adjustments prior to launch (good or bad) and that being the way of things/something people put up with-- I suppose that's about the developing industry in general and doesn't really belong here? I'm not sure. What is this thread about at this point?

@Median85 If you don't care about the story, then this game probably wasn't for you in the first place.

yeah but it has to look good, and this doesnt look good, it Looks like ass. w2 played horrible with kb and mouse
put 500 euros to upgrade my rig to have a nice expirience, this would have run on my 4 year old Laptop haha.
end of Story for me.

Not really sure if you are serious or just making bad jokes, but hey, not gonna change your mind, I can at least respect that, to each their own as they say.

end of Story for me.

Wow looks better....

Yeah maul that one over a bit. Also it's possible those creatures are different as they have different wing textures, and the fact they are in different locations. However please continue to compare random areas to each other with random pre alpha footage to other beta footage of an unfinished product. Than please bitch about how the mouse controls aren't good for a game you have never played. This is all very enlightening to me about what goes through the mind of a person that yells about downgrades to superior looking footage to previous inferior footage.

Last edited:
end of Story for me.

Okay so let me get this straight.
Visuals are tied to atmosphere.
Gameplay is not tied to atmosphere.
The Witcher 2 was shit because it supported controllers(???), yet had great visuals.
You like atmosphere in a game, but didn't like The Witcher 2(A game with incredible visuals that even match modern releases) because it supported controllers(???)
U wot buddy

My post was in response to a post saying that early trailers were considered marketing and that nobody should expect the final version of the game to look like what was advertised. That idea is, excuse my language, complete bullshit. Especially when a company advertises a trailer as gameplay. I brought up the case of Dark Souls 2 because From showed gameplay with the old lighting and high quality textures. Then, without warning, all of that was dropped. Hell, they even had a build they showed off and let people play that had the old lighting and textures. How is somebody NOT supposed to think the final product will end up like that?
I never once implied developers should not show off anything, I really don't know how you got that from my post. I provided links where the quality of early footage matched the end quality of games. Things get cut in development due to time restraint, budget, ideas not working out, etc. I get that. But if you release gameplay footage from awhile ago that people agree doesn't match up visually to more recent gameplay footage, then I think we should get a little more confirmation on what's going on rather than just "There is no downgrade" and "We want the player to be wowed on Ultra, that's why we're not showing it".

I don't understand how it looks worse to you. The trailer footage looks awful by comparison to the latest gameplay footage. The only difference is less color saturation and the ridicules sharpening filter placed over everything. All the textures, and environments are the same except improved upon. Dark souls 2 actually was down graded as they removed dynamic lighting, and stripped out a considerable amount of the art assets in the final product. Witcher 3 hasn't changed a single thing.

Last edited:
I don't understand how it looks worse to you. The trailer footage looks awful by comparison to the latest gameplay footage. The only difference is less color saturation and the ridicules sharpening filter placed over everything. All the textures, and environments are the same except improved upon. Dark souls 2 actually was down graded as they removed dynamic lighting, and stripped out a considerable amount of the art assets in the final product. Witcher 3 hasn't changed a single thing.

Tw3 now looks a lot different than the VGX and SOD trailers, how can you not see that? I still think it will look good just not as good as the 2 trailers I mentioned. The main thing is the lighting seems to have changed a lot.

Last edited:
I don't understand how it looks worse to you. To trailer footage looks awful by comparison to the latest gameplay footage. The only difference is less color saturation and the ridicules sharpening filter placed over everything. All the textures, and environments are the same except improved upon. Dark souls 2 actually was down graded as they removed dynamic lighting and actually stripped out a considerable amount of the art assets in the final product. Witcher 3 hasn't changed a single thing.

I'd hate to say this, but that guy who was posting about atmosphere and how shit TW2 was actually had a good comparison image. Those 2 creatures are the same. Yet one has a higher quality model. As for the comparison of the area, it is unfair. But there are other images that you can compare to recent footage that show a difference in the quality of vegetation, textures, etc. The first page actually had two excellent examples of difference in vegetationa and one that showed a big difference in the quality of rocks. There's an image from the SoD trailer I believe that shows Geralt with Yen and Triss that be compared with the uncompressed footage of the PAX footage. It's easy to compare the quality of Geralt's models using those two examples.
However, that all being said...nobody will be able to truly compare anything until we see Ultra footage. So really all anyone can do is speculate at this point due to no Ultra footage.
So we have an issue here. People are seeing a difference in quality, but without Ultra footage, nobody can really make any safe comparisons. All we can do is say we see a difference.

Tw3 now looks a lot different than the VGX and SOD trailers, how can you not see that? I still think it will look good just not as good as the 2 trailers I mentioned.

Thats the thing though, both those trailers are before the better color saturation, dynamic hair, fur, weather, wind, other physics, and better animations were introduced. The only thing the earlier trailers have that can be construed as better are shaper textures. Which is mainly to do to an ugly sharpening filter, and using areas they had actually completed. A lot of the stuff we have seen especially in the latest gameplay isn't "finished". Thats why the texture quality shifts so radically from the nice foliage in the village to the almost unloaded grass blades on the trail.

Right, there was a beta build with the old lighting engine that ran horribly at sub 30fps almost the entire time. No amount of tweaks and optimization could relieve the issue so they stripped it out entirely. So what should From have done?

Eh, this is getting too much into semantics. Maybe I misread you, it seems you are saying that you are ok with the game being downgraded, you just want CDPR to admit it?

People are seeing a difference in quality, but without Ultra footage, nobody can really make any safe comparisons.

Yet a 3000 posts thread and another 300 posts later, people are still arguing whether or not there is a "downgrade" while the game still look fantastic and is feature complete. Oh well...

I'd hate to say this, but that guy who was posting about atmosphere and how shit TW2 was actually had a good comparison image. Those 2 creatures are the same. Yet one has a higher quality model. As for the comparison of the area, it is unfair. But there are other images that you can compare to recent footage that show a difference in the quality of vegetation, textures, etc. The first page actually had two excellent examples of difference in vegetationa and one that showed a big difference in the quality of rocks. There's an image from the SoD trailer I believe that shows Geralt with Yen and Triss that be compared with the uncompressed footage of the PAX footage. It's easy to compare the quality of Geralt's models using those two examples.
However, that all being said...nobody will be able to truly compare anything until we see Ultra footage. So really all anyone can do is speculate at this point due to no Ultra footage.
So we have an issue here. People are seeing a difference in quality, but without Ultra footage, nobody can really make any safe comparisons. All we can do is say we see a difference.

They were totally different areas, and a lot of the inconsistency we are seeing isn't caused by default settings that they haven't even finished yet. It's caused by levels of completion in the areas showcased as they show actual dynamic aspects to the game. Rewatch the latest gameplay and look at foliage in the village compared to what is seen on the trails. It's a night and day difference. The entire project is going through different builds by the week according to the community manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom