Graphic downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
And what technology do you mean specifically? Because that looks like garbage. There's no freaking way that looks better than the witcher 2. If you're talking about the foliage bouncing around, it makes it look even more like plastic than anything else.

Here's a witcher 2 screen that looks higher res than that witcher 3 gameplay.

http://cloud-2.steamusercontent.com/ugc/29595255069207321/6D982EBA1FCA31F5FCEC21C9C6785547F4DA862E/

If you tell me I'm wrong, you need your eyes checked.

I don't know man, Ill have to hug the walls in The Witcher 3 and come back to you with my results, sadly right now I can't do it as I don't have the game to verify.

The whole "Just wait and see" thing, it's not a retort I take kindly to anymore as a pc gamer.

Okay.

A) moderate your tone. Civility is the target around here, outraged righteousness causes far more problems than it solves.

B) Just wait and see. You can -cancel- any preorder you've made and the game will cost you nothing. This is a work in progress. You want to judge what you haven't bought yet, at least wait until the full version is out.

Anyone who preorders something before it exists is taking a consumer risk. Like any gamble, you.can.lose. Don't preorder. Simply wait and see and judge for yourself.

If CDPR decided the graphics were too troublesome or they prefer their game in pink, that's up to them, because they are still making it. They can change whatever they want, for whatever reason they want. In return you can just not buy their product.

I don't know man, Ill have to hug the walls in The Witcher 3 and come back to you with my results, sadly right now I can't do it as I don't have the game to verify.

oh, so you will have to buy the game before they show you what it looks like on ultra to see. You must let me know how it is then, because I'm not falling for that crap.

---------- Updated at 07:00 AM ----------

Okay.

A) moderate your tone. Civility is the target around here, outraged righteousness causes far more problems than it solves.

B) Just wait and see. You can -cancel- any preorder you've made and the game will cost you nothing. This is a work in progress. You want to judge what you haven't bought yet, at least wait until the full version is out.

Anyone who preorders something before it exists is taking a consumer risk. Like any gamble, you.can.lose. Don't preorder. Simply wait and see and judge for yourself.

If CDPR decided the graphics were too troublesome or they prefer their game in pink, that's up to them, because they are still making it. They can change whatever they want, for whatever reason they want. In return you can just not buy their product.

yeah, but either way you defend it that would still be false advertising. What I thought I was pre-ordering wasn't what I was getting. AKA: Any reason anyone would be pissed off.

The fact that they will not show what ultra gameplay looks like is a serious concern, considering the game has been delayed how many times now? I shouldn't have to predict what a game will look like before I buy it. That's asinine.

Last edited:
oh, so you will have to buy the game before they show you what it looks like on ultra to see. You must let me know how it is then, because I'm not falling for that crap.

Ill buy the game no matter what they do to the graphics, don't really care for that part to be honest, not the reason i ever bought a CDPR game and it surely won't be one in the future either, if the game runs well that all that matter, and I am willing to gamble, it's just 60$, but yeah, if my machine can run Ultra without problem ill let you know.

yeah, but either way you defend it, that would still be false advertising.

I'm not defending it - I don't care that much about the graphics. What I'm -doing- is warning you about your tone and suggesting you cancel your preorder and remove the tension in this situation. Then you can wait and see if the graphics are up to what you want to pay for. If not, don't.

As for false advertising, that's a term tossed around a lot. As a legal term, it varies from jurisdicton to jurisdiction. Regardless, few jurisdictions would accuse a media creator of false advertising with content that is unfinished.

Unfinished. Not done yet. Subject to change. Downgrade or not, that's CDPR's privilege as the content creator.

As for predicting what a game will look like before you buy, of course you shouldn't. But a preorder is not a buy, it's a gamble.

You want to buy, wait until the game is on the market, see how it looks and then buy.

What I thought I was pre-ordering wasn't what I was getting.

Why are you pre-ordering to begin with? I can understand investing in a crowdfunded project. You literally help to make it. And like any investor you take risks because the project can end up not as good as you expected or in the worst case fail completely. CDPR never said they need such backing - they are self funded as far as I know. So wait until the game is released and buy it like any other normal purchase. At that time you'll be able to evaluate the finished product before buying. That's normal.

Yes I will probably cancel my pre-order, because nobody should have to predict what a game will look like before they buy it.

IF they don't release ultra gameplay footage. There's still two months left. If they don't, I will absolutely cancel the pre-order. I will not in good conscious advocate this sort of vile practice. I'm tired of seeing it in the gaming industry and I've had enough of it.

Last edited:
So wait until the game is released and buy it like any other normal purchase. At that time you'll be able to evaluate the finished product before buying. That's normal.

This really needs to be emphasised - and not just in terms of the WItcher or CDPR. People become emotionally attached to things fairly easily and more so if they pay for them. When you preorder, you're performing an act of faith, not a coolly-considered financial transaction.

But games are still products and should be seen in that light. Wait until the product exists, then evaluate whether or not to buy. Such is the reasonable course.

This really needs to be emphasised - and not just in terms of the WItcher or CDPR. People become emotionally attached to things fairly easily and more so if they pay for them. When you preorder, you're performing an act of faith, not a coolly-considered financial transaction.

I'd also differentiate direct supprot of the authors with simply showing appreciation. Pre-ordering is giving them money in advance. So it's either a loan, or an investment. The later is the case for projects which otherwise can't be created to begin with (like crowdfunding). The former is essentially a good gesture. I.e. CDPR can make the game without pre-ordering just fine. Those who pre-order show CDPR their appreciation by offering such loan. It's their own voluntary choice. So at least one shouldn't complain about making such choices, you either show your appreciation or not.

Last edited:
the hell happened to the water in the 3rd image? It looks like Disney's toon town sprung a leak.

Water is hard to judge when it isn't in motion, personally I prefer the water we've seen in the extended gameplay demos over anything we saw in the earlier (Aka: pre-finalized renderer) Trailers. The open bodies of water looks fairly similar anyway, but the water in the Swamps doesn't have that weird almost foam-like effect over it, which just wouldn't exist considering the environment.

Also I really think comments like "Disney's toon town sprung a leak" is where you make that turn from just giving skeptical criticism, to full on hyperbolic bullshit.

https://i.imgur.com/Vs3ne6l.jpg

Wow. That looks awful lmao.

the hell happened to the water in the 3rd image? It looks like Disney's toon town sprung a leak.
"LMAO"s don't make you look any smarter you know?

What you see in those picks are probably ultra high settings lowered to high/console settings that ruins fairly smooth compared to the Ultra build. Also it seems you haven't learned anything from people above - wait for the game and then judge the final product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also it seems you haven't learned anything from people above - wait for the game and then judge the final product.

I'm a collector's edition guy, and this point is moot for me because it's not exactly going to be available for purchase once the reviews and videos of the final product are out. Especially as a PC gamer, where the settings relevant to my platform are being withheld.

Last edited:
I'm a collector's edition guy, and this point is moot for me because it's not exactly going to be available for purchase once the reviews and videos of the final product are out. Especially as a PC gamer, where the settings relevant to my platform are being withheld.
Im a PC gamer too, but again:
Just wait and see. You can -cancel- any preorder you've made and the game will cost you nothing. This is a work in progress. You want to judge what you haven't bought yet, at least wait until the full version is out.

Yes I will probably cancel my pre-order, because nobody should have to predict what a game will look like before they buy it.

IF they don't release ultra gameplay footage. There's still two months left. If they don't, I will absolutely cancel the pre-order. I will not in good conscious advocate this sort of vile practice. I'm tired of seeing it in the gaming industry and I've had enough of it.

You should just cancel it and calm down. You are just repeating the same thing over and over again, it's becoming very annoying and you obviously don't listen to reason.
Wait for the release, there will be plenty of footage at that point, then decide. Whatever you decide, I couldn't care less.

I'm getting TW3 not for the graphics, but for the whole package. I don't want a tech demo, I want a great story with great characters and amazing atmosphere. Graphics complement that, they are not the main thing.

Yes, preorders show faith in the final product, because of that I've preordered it twice, from GOG and a CE for XBO, that's how much faith I have in CDPR.

No, it does not look like «Disney's toon town sprung a leak». At all. While the swamp in the 35 min demo is not an exact match to VGX's, the water effects still look great. Don't know about you, but I'd like to help inspire them to do better, not contribute to a collective depression where sulky devs drag around the office, fed up to the teeth , not touching the forums for a long long while. The only aspect that looks downright bad to me is dungeon lighting. It seems to lack any redeeming qualities. But even so, I've seen too little, they could still be tweaking it, or ultra could eventually show major progress. You see, the call for reasonableness is not a mere concession to manners and etiquette. Reasonableness is what you end up exhibiting when you've considered the facts.

Since story and gameplay are exactly the same in all versions, graphics becomes a decisive factor when choosing platform. If Ultra isn't all that much better looking than High, I'll probably go with a PS4, an investment of 327 pounds. If it is a significant visual upgarde, then I'll go with a beefy PC, an investment of 1000 pounds. Like everybody else, I'd like either of my hefty investments to grant me the right to play the Wild Hunt day 1, thank you.

Footage on ultra ahead of release is thus an indispensable pre-condition to me. I'll end up buying the game anyway, no matter what, but In what way is a plea for footage on ultra, say, by late April or early May an unreasonable request?

Last edited:
People keep saying "wait till its released" but like I said before, nobody should have to guess at what a game is going to look like before its released. There's a thing called proper advertisement.

https://i.imgur.com/Vs3ne6l.jpg

And yes the difference in these shots is absolutely ridiculous. It's like looking at two different games. One looks like toon town, the other doesn't.

Last edited:
They aren't direct comparisons, either.

I think a large part of why that picture seems superior is due to the reflective armour and sunlight. The sun rays are still marvellous (did you see the new vids?), and I'm sure if it were the same location, same time of day, same weather, same armour, and same camera angle, we'd witness the same effect.

I'm also in the camp who claims the water now looks far more authentic than it does there.

Last edited:
It's called false advertising and people calling them out on it. Not anything else.

The fact that you use that term to describe a preview/promo video not only released almost a quarter of a year before the final product will actually be officially purchasable but which purpose is to inform potential customers of its current state of development, is the height of irony.

People keep saying "wait till its released" but like I said before, nobody should have to guess at what a game is going to look like before its released. There's a thing called proper advertisement.

Perhaps wait instead until the first couple of reviews (many of them in video form, no doubt) hit the net, judge and then make an informed buying decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom