Graphic downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

is there uncompressed version of this???

geralt model looks amazing and rest is SoD like quality

it id from yt but you already can see cgi like geralt, draw distance in video, amazing lighting and just look at those bricks, they are separately modeled and textures are good, even on ground and wing (when geralt slides).
there is no sharpening filter too

Last edited:
Alright. Made a quick comparison using the uncompressed video from 35 min. gameplay

Top is with a sharpening filter, bottom is original

There is a significant difference when looking at details up close
this prooves what someone said earlier before here. he posted a picture of the same location inside a city. one taken from the first trailer and the second was from the E3 2014 demo. basically the first one felt kinda darker and looked like it had the sharpening filterbut the level of detail was a bit weaker, while on the other the colors were brighter and it wasn't as crisp as the first picture, but had better lightning and details overall.

furthermore, when you modifed the picture, it became very similar to what the GFX looked like in the VGX trailer.

my opinion ? i honestly think the game may have not been downgraded, at least if we only considered the E3 2014 demo.

Last edited:
@wavebend

Thanks very much.

I like the sharpened effects, though I'd have to mess around with the settings to find the sweet spot and see how it felt whilst actually playing the game.

this prooves what someone said earlier before here. he posted a picture of the same location inside a city. one taken from the first trailer and the second was from the E3 2014 demo. basically the first one felt kinda darker and looked like it had the sharpening filterbut the level of detail was a bit weaker, while on the other the colors were brighter and it wasn't as crisp as the first picture, but had better lightning and details overall.

furthermore, when you modifed the picture, it became very similar to what the GFX looked like in the VGX trailer.

my opinion ? i honestly think the game may have not been downgraded, at least if we only considered the E3 2014 demo.

http://a.pomf.se/neujng.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/qxHb15Q.jpg

seriously?

Sharpening is a very cheap effect, so I imagine that if CDPR decide not to include it for aesthetic reasons or due to fan feedback, when a lot of people were complaining about it, modders will add it in soon after release for PC users.

Fun fact: There are mods for getting rid of the sharpening filter in TW2. To me personally, the second shot just looks better due to the lack of artifacting caused by sharpening.

Last edited:
as i remember that was just changing one line in config .ini file

Yep. I liked the cleaner, no sharpening version of TW2 better, personally. It's also part of the reason why I prefer the way TW3 looks atm than in did in earlier material.

Last edited:
Sharpening is a very cheap effect, so I imagine that if CDPR decide not to include it for aesthetic reasons or due to fan feedback, when a lot of people were complaining about it, modders will add it in soon after release for PC users.

Fun fact: There are mods for getting rid of the sharpening filter in TW2. To me personally, the second shot just looks better due to the lack of artifacting caused by sharpening.

There's no need of modders. You can use SweetFX to add in game sharpening .

I prefer the second pic, the original one. I like the contrast between some kind of smoothness in the scene in contrast with the possible sharpen "overtone" story and hard decisions

Alright. Made a quick comparison using the uncompressed video from 35 min. gameplay

Thanks for that comparison.

Let me add 2 points:

1) The actual filtering from REDengine acts differently and is much more effective at increasing texture detail and LOD while avoiding so much flickering and bright white outlines, so it naturally looks way better and in¡ the game and during movement.

2) Its well known to graphics artist/illustrators/etc, that colorless outlines added to colored shapes, reduces the "vibration" of colours, neutralizing how they mix with other shapes of different tones and thus giving the impression, that the scene is less saturated and more dark/gritty. Take a normal painting or scene of dead nature if you want, add grey outlines to the individual objects, and you'll see the effect.

Another quick shot. This one's from the PAX gameplay when Geralt flees the scene with his horse. The colors looked really weird in the original shot so I tried to make them a bit better. Same filter. Guess which one is the edited one

I'll make a few more of theses. This is quite fun

Last edited:
2) Its well known to graphics artist/illustrators/etc, that colorless outlines added to colored shapes, reduces the "vibration" of colours, neutralizing how they mix with other shapes of different tones and thus giving the impression, that the scene is less saturated and more dark/gritty. Take a normal painting or scene of dead nature if you want, add grey outlines to the individual objects, and you'll see the effect.

I think there was also a blue filter (another effect that doesn't concern performance) in some of the earlier shots, not just sharpening, which added more to the "grittier" feel.

Hi, how do you add the sharpening filter? I would like to watch 35min demo using that filter. Thanks

Another quick shot. This one's from the PAX gameplay when Geralt flees the scene with his horse. The colors looked really weird in the original shot so I tried to make them a bit better. Same filter. Guess which one is the edited one

I'll make a few more of theses. This is quite fun
Ooo, that upper one is pretty. Has some ethereal feel to it.

This is my first post in any forum in a very very long while, just to stress how much this game meant to me. Im a witcher player of the very first hour, chewed through both W1 and W2 non-enhanced versions (and absolutely loved it - never seen that big of a need for enhancing it)

Ive probably read about 50% of this thread, so bear with me if this has already been posted repeatedly. But I havent seen any mention of this interview with Adam Badowski, Managing Director of CD Projekt RED:

http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=51

Just a couple of exerts that render a lot points that are actively discussed here kind of moot:

"Are all the textures and models the same?

Yes, there is only one version, otherwise we wouldn’t be able to make the game on time. We would have to take it all apart, and build and test on three different platforms at the same time, which is impossible. So we have one base, and then carry it over to other platforms.
On platforms with less memory, we manage it differently. Less complex models load, it all depends on what is going on the screen at the moment. To sum up, there are only a few differences between the PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, that, instead of changing the configuration, solve certain problems."

"How will the PC ultra version hold up against consoles?

It will be possible to spot differences in, for example, Nvidia HairWorks, but those are very demanding graphically, so a strong PC will be needed. It might not be politically correct what I’m about to say, but in the future you will be able to turn on the option of ubersampling, which, upon the release of The Witcher 2, was killing the game, and will probably do so with this title, so we don’t want to unlock it as of now. The game looks better, but the requirements are insane."

What we've seen (VGA, PAX etc.) IS what we're getting, no two ways about it! Everyone has to be the judge of wether that's good enough for themselves. Ultra will add gimmicks that I personally dont really care about (ie hairworks). I only speak for myself when I say that I actually am quite disappointed, since for me these new videos do not convey the same thick atmosphere as the ominous S.O.D trailer (technical aspects set aside). Ive never purchased a preorder in my life, I was planning on doing so for TW3, but not anymore.

Wow, after seeing this I hope there will be a possibility to turn on the sharpening filter. The above screen looks noticeably better imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom