Trials of Grasses- trials for CDPR ?

+
Just take a look at these beautiful Witcher 1 grass...

yeah, and now move the camera up and look down...

Seriously, I get that the people who frequent the forums are annoyed by all the talk about the graphics, but you should remember that this is still a FORUM where people DISCUSS things. So please don't post things like "I DONT GIVE A SHIT, ALL I WANT IS STORYYY", because you are not contributing to the discussion.

And the low quality grass really stands out in the latest video from PAX. I think it's because the textures on them are of low quality and possibly too bright as well.

Seriously, I get that the people who frequent the forums are annoyed by all the talk about the graphics, but you should remember that this is still a FORUM where people DISCUSS things. So please don't post things like "I DONT GIVE A SHIT, ALL I WANT IS STORYYY", because you are not contributing to the discussion.

And the low quality grass really stands out in the latest video from PAX. I think it's because the textures on them are of low quality and possibly too bright as well.

Please do not accuse anybody of not contributing to the discussion. That's the moderators' job, and we don't like it when others try to do our job for us :)

The moderators take issue with the tone that has prevailed in this and other threads. This is not 4chan. Here you use polite language and don't make accusations against anybody. Because the moderators don't split hairs over whether or not posts are insulting, and we have banhammers.

Please do not accuse anybody of not contributing to the discussion. That's the moderators' job, and we don't like it when others try to do our job for us :)

The moderators take issue with the tone that has prevailed in this and other threads. This is not 4chan. Here you use polite language and don't make accusations against anybody. Because the moderators don't split hairs over whether or not posts are insulting, and we have banhammers.

I just had to get that off my chest, sorry if I said something I shouldn't have.

People are annoyed because you're making it sound like the graphics are shit. In fact they're not.

Yes i agree that they're not on the level of VGX but it is still being optimized and we've not seen the game on ultra... And yet it's still awesome.
And maybe for some people like you graphics are everything but for me they're NOT number 1 priority.
Some will buy and have pre-ordered it regardless the graphics , some others not. I don't see why make it such a big fuss. We've seen what the game looks like nothing will change that.

People are annoyed because you're making it sound like the graphics are shit. In fact they're not.

Yes i agree that they're not on the level of VGX but it is still being optimized and we've not seen the game on ultra... And yet it's still awesome.
And maybe for some people like you graphics are everything but for me they're NOT number 1 priority.
Some will buy and have pre-ordered it regardless the graphics , some others not. I don't see why make it such a big fuss. We've seen what the game looks like nothing will change that.

I'm not sure how I implied that the graphics are shit? I said the grass stands out from the rest, I think by saying that I'm implying that the game looks pretty awesome. It's the grass that catches my eye because the rest looks so good...

I said the grass stands out from the rest,

Don't tell me you don't like the type of grass or its color ? :p

Of course you were implying graphics or textures related to grass. It's about 2-dimensional grass that everybody is talking these days and it's part of graphics that people say it's downgraded.

If grass is the only major graphic issue in a vast open world, then I think we don't have too much of which to complain. Attention to detail doubtless aids in completing the convincing illusion of the game world, but just think how much grass there must be in this game! We can't have everything, and I think I can handle 2-D grass.

Just look at the early screens, the grass is always viewed from side, not from above and so you cannot actually see the individual patches. But i really think it looked the same back than
Look at the grass in the picture that i edited
View attachment 11247
It looks like in this one
View attachment 11248

Attachments

• TW311.jpg
    TW311.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 90
  • the-witcher-3-screenshot_35309.jpg
    the-witcher-3-screenshot_35309.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 67
Foliage transparency/translucency

Moderator: If you have a beef with forum policy, you can take it to PM, or you can keep silence.

I'm not graphic whore, especially when TW3 is in question. I care more about other elements.
But this last video has brought some changes that are ridiculous. Lighting is way over-saturated and effects everything - it should be toned down even in dusk. Bigger problem is this foliage wannabe transparency effect which make grass and bushes to look like it has only one color, which means that details are lost!?

Trees are less transparent and are actually translucent, which is how it should be. Only parts of the tree or grass should be transparent, mostly edges. But the same should be done for grass too.
All foliage should be more black from the back side where sun doesn't shine directly - diffuse lighting from the front and shadow subsurface from the back for example. This can be achieved using subsurface scattering.

If it costs performance, disable it for grass and bushes and paint additional details. You did this before, in previous games. It will look much more realistic.
Foliage looks different when time is changing, but never like this.

This is ridiculous!
http://i.imgur.com/VUNbbIO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2rcxt9k.jpg

Btw, i hope that this is WIP!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct. We have not shown any footage on highest settings. I'm not aware of any plans to do so. And, until the game goes gold and is actually shipped off to manufacturers, it is still being worked on and nothing is 100% final.

Thnx for you answer...so due to the fact that not even you are aware if there's any plans to show highest settings (ultra\uber), we can assume that there's no hope to see them in a trailer or screens before the relase date?

Thnx for you answer...so due to the fact that not even you are aware if there's any plans to show highest settings (ultra\uber), we can assume that there's no hope to see them in a trailer or screens before the relase date?

Seems to me that trailers and gameplay trailers exist to be representative of the game.
The fair and reasonable thing to do is to have the trailers/gameplay on a normal & average setting.

Top marks to CDPR for showing their game honestly, as most people will experience it.

Seems to me that trailers and gameplay trailers exist to be representative of the game.
The fair and reasonable thing to do is to have the trailers/gameplay on a normal & average setting.

Top marks to CDPR for showing their game honestly, as most people will experience it.

Yup, nothing to except, you are right. Just curious to know if we can have a test about how magnificent the game can be at the maximum settings...that's all mate!

How could you say grass is not important when it's freaking everywhere!

It ruins the immersion when everything is high quality and then when you look at the grasses you want to shoot yourself. Not consistent in quality.

Hopefully, there's a Better Grasses mod. But I rather have them add it to the settings where you can enable higher quality textures for grasses. I know they have them cause it's in the older screens. It's obvious that they toned it down for better performance. I rather have higher quality textures than the wind effect.

Yup, nothing to except, you are right. Just curious to know if we can have a test about how magnificent the game can be at the maximum settings...that's all mate!

I can understand that desire...
The brutal truth I guess is that you are simply not a marketing target as your purchase I sense is pretty much assured ! :)

I can understand that desire...
The brutal truth I guess is that you are simply not a marketing target as your purchase I sense is pretty much assured ! :)

So are you suggesting me to say I'll cancel the pre order if they won't show ultra settings? ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom