Graphic downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference that the use of cheapo effects like sharpening filter and playing with the contrast creates is massive

It creates the illusion of beter textures and better lighting/reflections, even if it done pretty poorly on the spot with VLC, using sub par low quality screenshots.(if not zoomed of course)

Attachments

• bsplayer 2015-03-13 15-38-30-49.jpg
    bsplayer 2015-03-13 15-38-30-49.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 47
  • vlc 2015-03-13 15-35-15-84.jpg
    vlc 2015-03-13 15-35-15-84.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 45
The difference that the use of cheapo effects like sharpening filter and playing with the contrast creates is massive

It creates the illusion of beter textures and better lighting/reflections, even if it done pretty poorly on the spot with VLC, using sub par low quality screenshots.(if not zoomed of course)

And that means what exactly for the final quality of the game?

I wish they released some screenshots with Ultra settings, just for comparison. Preferably, of the same locations we've seen in the VGX trailer. That should clear a few things up. This whole downgade-shitstorm ain't doing any good to CDPR.

By the way, I wonder if semi-volumetric clouds are still in, since that's one of the major differences when you compare recent footage to earlier ones. We know that volumetric fog is a no go (José said that in an interview), but does it refer to the clouds as well? That'd be a shame.

Other than that, the vegetation and some post process effects (I think) are the only notable differences I can spot - hopefully, those differences will not be as apparent on Ultra.

Last edited:

I would like the graphics to be somewhere in the middle of what you just did, but for all we know it's already like that.
None of us have played it up close and personal at home yet, still screens and washed-out youtube videos never seem to really do justice on the eyes do they.

Last edited:
Bleh. Too much sharpness makes the picture looks disgusting.

Yes, but what is his point?

Does he say the game will look ugly in the final version?
Does he mean that the games "beautiful" graphics are truly beautiful but the "wrong kind" of beautiful, because they cheat by using contrast and (de)sharpening to make it look better?
Or does he mean that the guys posting "ugly" pictures are just able to do so because they add sharpening and then rage over the quality despite the fact that they oversharpen the picture?

What is his point?

Yes, but what is his point?

Does he say the game will look ugly in the final version?
Does he mean that the games "beautiful" graphics are truly beautiful but the "wrong kind" of beautiful, because they cheat by using contrast and (de)sharpening to make it look better?
Or does he mean that the guys posting "ugly" pictures are just able to do so because they add sharpening and then rage over the quality despite the fact that they oversharpen the picture?

What is his point?

None. My point is that the graphics are incredible, and on trailers they mostly used effects to make each shot look more impressive, rather than the actual graphics being better. VGX has massive use of sharpening filters.(even though the vegetaion models have been replaced).

None. My point is that the graphics are incredible, and on trailers they mostly used effects to make each shot look more impressive, rather than the actual graphics being better. VGX has massive use of sharpening filters.(even though the vegetaion models have been replaced).

Yeah I don't get that with vegetation.
I mean I get it might be a matter of memory, but it just doesn't look all that good. I rally hope the vegetation will be better than in TW2.

Yeah I don't get that with vegetation.
I mean I get it might be a matter of memory, but it just doesn't look all that good. I rally hope the vegetation will be better than in TW2.

While the old vegetation probably looks better, it doesnt react to creatures and NPCs moving through it, and it doesnt react to wind. (I am talking about grass) It seems devs sacrificed "better" models for more reactive and dynamic environment, I personaly like the change..

last E3 I think a dev said that they were in the middle of changing the vegetatation system. A little lower rez so the game will run better, this must be it. :)
It could be worse, I still think this game looks way better than any other games that I've ever seen. I think I'm really going to be happy with it. :)

May be, may be. But without the sharpness, you get an aquarell painting. With very bad skills in the grassy parts.
Exactly. Thats why its really important to keep the things in balance. Or happens one or another flaw.

Last edited:
While the old vegetation probably looks better, it doesnt react to creatures and NPCs moving through it, and it doesnt react to wind. (I am talking about grass) It seems devs sacrificed "better" models for more reactive and dynamic environment, I personaly like the change..
I do respect your opinion mate..but I disagree...personally I'd prefear the old grass..ok it's true it didn't react but now it bend as if it was made in cardboard. ..it goes down like a panel... just my opinion:)

Since textures look "worse", according to the Nvidia site the game will have support for 4k (http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/pc-games/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt) which means that the game may have huge high res textures on the highest settings. The graphics it's looking really good compared with games like the new Batman and MGS ( and both don't have a living word such as the promised by CDPR). To me the Witcher 3 can only loose to himself in terms of visuals.

We'll have to wait for more materials to judge on the downgrade thing, I won't say the game have been "downgraded" until I see the famous weather system and night/day cicle in motion, and geralt in the middle of a big city like Novigrad just watching the citzens doing their things and routine.

It's unfortunate the devs have chosen to stay quiet in regards to this thread. Yes, there's been a few behavioral issues with some members, yes it's mostly a repeat of what's been said before, yes they're pretty tired of having to read up about this "accusation" of their game...but, surely addressing the issue publicly in an informative manner is much better in the long run than zipping their mouths shut.

Of course, there's various issues that could be the reason why we keep seeing all these changes, or why the devs stay quiet. Non-Disclosure Agreement, perhaps?

I think it would be commendable of CDPR to, at the very 'least, do a Bethesda on us. What do I mean? Post-release, provide PC gamers with better, higher resolution textures. Monolith did this with Shadow of Mordor too. A gesture of goodwill to the many of us whom have supported their previous products on PC in the past, or just a gesture of goodwill in general. Heck, provide us different presets for graphical fidelity (VGX version, SOD version etc). I know what I've just said is incredibly unlikely, if not borderline impossible, but it's just an idea. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom