Movies / TV Shows!

+
Anyone here watch The Almighty Johnsons? If not, I highly recommend it.

And I've been meaning to watch Better Call Saul-- someone told me 'it's the best television show in the last 25 years, for real.'

@Princess_Ciri.782 Did you watch the first episode of Poldark? What did you think? I'm not completely sold on it quite yet, but it was still a solid start.

Ok Pixar, give me a movie better than Brave this time.

Last edited:
Best part from the analysis

Tyrion Lannister and Varys explore a market in Volantis. Tyrion is disguised as Yolo.

I've just started A Feast for Crows yesterday, so I was unaware of the name Tyrion takes in his exile (which would be in A Dance with Dragons). I know Martin is a bit older, but this accidental pop culture reference was just too nice.

Ok Pixar, give me a movie better than Brave this time.

Well I'm sure this one was properly planned, instead of kicking a director out and force-changing the story when half of the animation had already been finalized...

Those character designs for emotions in Inside Out are... uh, bad, but the movie looks like it will be a solid one.

Man, the last episode of Vikings...

The series does such a good job of depicting leaders, showing how they claw their way to the top and stay there. Lagertha is in serious trouble. Ecbert's gonna hang Athelstan by his nuts. Kwenthrith pissing on Ragnar.... o_O. She is batshit insane, and smart to boot. I don't even know who this wanderer is, but poor Siggy. :( Best part was Ragnar and Ecbert coming to terms.

I just finished watching Perfume: The Story of a Murderer. The film left me without words to accurately describe it but I'd highly recommend viewing it. It's definitely not the typical Hollywood flick.

Last edited:
I recently managed to finally follow up to all of the series I currently watching. I have planned to make this a summary of all of them, but I end up with a Gotham rant, so my apologies for that.

Gotham

I really wanted to like this series, the fact I watched all 18 episodes so far proofs it more then anything else. It just baffling for me how many downright amateurish mistakes this series makes and how forgiving people are, because of it's licence. What scares me is that I am one of this people. Dialogues are bizarre, it's full of cartoony characters, a poorly done single episode long cases are shoehorned in into larger narrative and it has completely incoherent style. You can see they try really hard to create their own unique atmosphere, something similar to US version of Life on Mars , but it all end up feeling extremely forced and bland. References to the comics are as subtle and not in any way painful like a jackhammer drilling through your teeth. Example? In one scene we see Edward Nigma drinking from a cup with a question mark. Every single competent show would make it a background visual gag that watchful viewers could notice just for a second. Here? They focus camera shot just on him without any reason for about 10 seconds, while he does nothing, but standing there with a cup, to make sure even someone with a brain damage will see that. Entire show is full of that.

You can say that they try to intentionally make show as bizarre as possible to evoke comic book feeling, but they still fail in that regard. Making everyone strange and over the top ends up making no one strange and over the top. I want to roll my eyes everytime they introduce another wacky character, because I know it's gonna be just like every other wacky character in this show. It actually makes the least bizarre acting/talking characters more interesting and nutjobs just boring, which I doubt was an intended effect.

So I'm clearly not the fan of the show, so why I keep watching it? Well, mob related plotlines are quite interesting, to the point that the Gordon's unrelated adventures often feels like a filler. Some characters are quite fascinating, even when they still act somewhat cartoony, for example Penguin, Bullock and Falcone. There are some genuinely funny moments (if you did not laughed when innocent old lady was crushed to death by falling body, that probably means... you are less fucked up then I am) and lines. From the recent plotlines, I think that Gordon and doctor Leslie romance is quite cute, though doomed by canon to fail. And I'm not gonna lie, when we get an entire episode of Alfred kicking ass, I felt my inner fanboy awaking with a gleeful "squee" sound.

So yeah, it looks like there is a quite a lot good things about it, but the problem is that I can easily get through all kind of shit just to find all of the good bits. If you're not shit tolerant, I recommend staying as far as possible from this show and never looking back. Or you should watch Flash. Seriously, with exception of Lois & Clark, this is so far the best superhero and comic based show ever made. It certainly deserves much more coverage then Gotham, but what can I say, act of criticism apparently gives me more inspiration.

I just finished watching Perfume: The Story of a Murderer. The film left me without words to accurately describe it but I'd highly recommend viewing it. It's definitely not the typical Hollywood flick.

When I read they were making the film based on Suskind's novel I didn't believe it could work but I was proven wrong.

Currently I'm enjoying Amazon's Bosch, it's not True Detective but it manages to keep my attention. ;)

I recently managed to finally follow up to all of the series I currently watching. I have planned to make this a summary of all of them, but I end up with a Gotham rant, so my apologies for that.

I've been meaning to ask what others think of Gotham, so thank you :)
I watched around 5 or 6 episodes, but I just COULDN'T get into it, and I don't know why. If I were to provide a checklist of what kind of TV shows I like, it would probably check every box, but it just didn't engage me. Reading your post, I suspect it was this:

Dialogues are bizarre, it's full of cartoony characters, a poorly done single episode long cases are shoehorned in into larger narrative and it has completely incoherent style.

There's just nothing engaging about them. Maybe it improved later in the series, but everyone seems to be two-dimensional. That works to a certain extent when you're doing a comic-book hero series, with Batman or Arrow or Flash as the central character, but when you're combining it with a police procedural, or when your theme is "how they become what they became" you really need a little more depth.

I sometimes get pissed off with Arrow, but yes, I'd consider both it and Flash to be a lot better than Gotham.

And I'm not sure if I can admit to this, but I was in a silly mood at the weekend and re-watched Moulin Rouge and Chicago. And decided for the second time that the amazing art direction in Moulin Rouge doesn't quite make up for the singing.

Last edited:
Currently I'm enjoying Amazon's Bosch, it's not True Detective but it manages to keep my attention. ;)
Bosch is great

Anybody watched Wolf Hall? I was a bit surprised to see Mark Rylance in it since he's more of a theatre man. I really don't know how to describe it so I'll just leave the IMDb like for anyone interested
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3556920/

Here is a picture of for @ReptilePZ which just happens to be from Wolf Hall

Last edited:
Anybody watched Wolf Hall? I was a bit surprised to see Mark Rylance in it since he's more of a theatre man. I really don't know how to describe it so I'll just leave the IMDb like for anyone interested

What did YOU think of it?
I watched about 10 minutes of the first episode and then gave up, but it was while I was ill and possibly just not in the right mood - it seems to have got very good reviews. I was thinking about giving it another try.

What did YOU think of it?
I watched about 10 minutes of the first episode and then gave up, but it was while I was ill and possibly just not in the right mood - it seems to have got very good reviews. I was thinking about giving it another try.
It's a bit jarring and seems oddly paced at first, but slowly gets better. I'll say it took three episodes to finally put the hook in me properly, I started to grasp everything and..... well couldn't stop watching.

On a slightly related note, it gave me a nice reactionface

Top Bottom