PC mouse and keyboard controls

+
No, and that's quite a shame. It's like they give a shi*t about K/M and especially about our concerns on the topic. Sad.

Ay, it's a bit worrying how little we seem to have regarding PC controls, other than the gamepad and console controllers. I wonder why they were having so much trouble adapting the mouse and keyboard. It doesn't seem that complicated. . . .

Didn't the German guy try it on M&K? He was the one who said the controls didn't feel dialed in yet. Not encouraging they're resolving this so near release. I vastly prefer M&K in TP games, for me the snappy camera movement is invaluable and hotkeys keep the action going at a swift pace. I'm playing Red Dead and the camera movement is glacially slow. It hurts the shooting quite a bit. I know some console games let you adjust camera speed, I wonder if that's planned.

Didn't the German guy try it on M&K? He was the one who said the controls didn't feel dialed in yet. Not encouraging they're resolving this so near release. I vastly prefer M&K in TP games, for me the snappy camera movement is invaluable and hotkeys keep the action going at a swift pace. I'm playing Red Dead and the camera movement is glacially slow. It hurts the shooting quite a bit. I know some console games let you adjust camera speed, I wonder if that's planned.

He said that they felt the same as Witcher 2 controls. So I think it really becomes a question of what was wrong with KB/M controls in Witcher 2?

He said that they felt the same as Witcher 2 controls. So I think it really becomes a question of what was wrong with KB/M controls in Witcher 2?

There are two issues I remember with Witcher 2. FIrst is the input latency under certain graphical settings. I noticed that if I cranked up the 'max pre-rendered frames' in nvidia settings, it would gain a frame of lag for each increment. It would also significantly lag if I forced supersampling in nvidia inspector (not low frame-rate--lag).

The other is that the game doesn't use the system's mouse settings, prefering to use its own. So if you have a low dpi mouse you could have to sweep the mouse several times to get it across the screen (this actually happened after I bought a new mouse after the old one broke). When I complained about this I was told 'use a controller'. I also tried editing some of the settings in the ini files (something I don't think I should have to do) and it scarcely made a difference no matter what I changed.

As I said before, even though Witcher 2 supposedly had PC as the lead platform, it came across as a bad pc port without actually being one. I really hope they're not going to make all the same mistakes as before.

Last edited:
There are two issues I remember with Witcher 2. FIrst is the input latency under certain graphical settings. I noticed that if I cranked up the 'max pre-rendered frames' in nvidia settings, it would gain a frame of lag for each increment. It would also significantly lag if I forced supersampling in nvidia inspector (not low frame-rate--lag).
As I said before, even though Witcher 2 supposedly had PC as the lead platform, it came across as a bad pc port without actually being one. I really hope they're not going to make all the same mistakes as before.

And let's not forget that some keys COULD NOT BE REMAPPED! I always play with Y-H-G-J, and with Witcher 2 my default controls where suddenly completely useless, because i couldn't remap the "J" key! Some ridiculous shit.

But for mouse lag there is a solution - do the opposite, lower 'max pre-rendered frames' to 1 or maybe even 0 in nVidia panel. Since i discovered this, i never had mouselag anymore.

The other is that the game doesn't use the system's mouse settings, prefering to use its own. So if you have a low dpi mouse you could have to sweep the mouse several times to get it across the screen (this actually happened after I bought a new mouse after the old one broke). When I complained about this I was told 'use a controller'. I also tried editing some of the settings in the ini files (something I don't think I should have to do) and it scarcely made a difference no matter what I changed.

Those both seem like such obvious issues, hard to believe they could overlook them a second time.

And let's not forget that some keys COULD NOT BE REMAPPED! I always play with Y-H-G-J, and with Witcher 2 my default controls where suddenly completely useless, because i couldn't remap the "J" key! Some ridiculous shit.

But for mouse lag there is a solution - do the opposite, lower 'max pre-rendered frames' to 1 or maybe even 0 in nVidia panel. Since i discovered this, i never had mouselag anymore.

Yeah BF3 did that crap with the hard coded keys. Devs need to stop doing that BS, its absurd. Just make it like all other keys if the key is needed it wont let you leave the setting screen without a key....but don't hard code it.....I use the arrow keys instead of WASD i know i know im "special"....But when people hard code the enter key it drives me bonkers.

No, the question is what the controller makes better than K/M. The K/M can be ok and you wouldn't notice any actual shortcoming without having something for comparison. But if the gameplay is better with a controller by having better functionalities, better mapping, better reactions or whatever, then there is something wrong with how CDPR implements the K/M controls.

And above everything there still thrones the problem with the stupid unified UI...

Which is the "better" is entirely irrelevant and is likely colored by personal preference. What matters is that the game plays well with each, you dont need to make direct comparisons to determine that. Either the PC controls have good functionality, good mapping, good reaction and good whatever.. or they dont. Likewise for the controller.

It's already become suspicious after so many hits on a computer with a gamepad, still do not show control with keyboard and mouse. And constantly in all justification of Review is, in fact, that the developers did not give specifically to play the keyboard, this is nonsense.
As it can be justified at all? The Witcher is a great PC game developer why make use of all those who played a gamepad?

TheEvilChris has confirmed http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/34361-DISCUSSION-Witcher-3-Screenshots-and-Artwork?p=1582508#post1582508 that they asked people to play with controllers in previews, presumably for ease of accessibility. We can only speculate beyond this.

Ahem, no, that's not correct. On the preview event in January people HAD to play on controllers because CPDR just refused to let anybody play on mouse/keyboard.

The one and only person on this planet yet who was able to play W3 with mouse/keyboard and talk about it outside of CDPR was apparently the Gamestar guy who did the exclusive preview lately...

well we're going to find out this week or the next when Gamespot gives us their impressions. Although I guess they are going to play the same build gamestar played, so there are still improvements that CPDR will do that we wont hear feedback from yet.

Those both seem like such obvious issues, hard to believe they could overlook them a second time.

It will be the third time, since they had an opportunity to fix them with the enhanced edition. Unless they didn't exist in the original version (which I never played) and somehow broke what was working...

IMO, how well are the M/K vs gamepad controls are totally subjective. The OP brought up DAI and even among M/K users, there are mixed feedback. Generally, those who are use to GW2 MMO action style M/K controls will feel right at home.

I have played M/K and gamepad for both DAI and TW2. I can be drunk and half awake and still faceroll most enemies on Dark difficulty in TW2 and Nightmare in DAI using a M/K. However, even fully awake I still get my behind handed to me when using my gamepad. I am sure gamepad experts will tell me that I sux with a gamepad and I believe I do but the same can be said about those who cant get use to the M/K controls.

p/s: If DAI is designed for gamepad, it is done even worse than M/K. You cant even rebind buttons.

A dweud y gwir , dywedodd CDPR eu bod yn mynd i roi cynnig rheolwr rhad ac am ddim coesau - cwbl newydd y tro hwn . Mae'n gyfrinach mawr er.

Top Bottom