Geralt Using a Torch

+
Yes to torches. Cover me in torches.

Mmm, torches.

Now, those are torches!

Last edited:
I really think the torch was just added to improve the atmosphere. People looooovvvvveeeee their torches thanks to all these zombie survival-horror games that are flooding the world nowadays like some kind of plague.

I don't think it has anything to do with recent zombie survival horror games.

Torches have always been incredibly atmospheric additions to any game. I remember never going without one in Morrowind, and using it at every single opportunity I could. Legend of Grimrock II was a more recent example, I had the ability to use a magic spell to illuminate the area, but I would still end up sacrificing my raw DPS throughput to use a torch on one of my party members.

I think it's just one of those oversights in The Witcher 2, and since they've had more time, more freedom and the desire to implement as many "key" interesting mechanics that an open world should have, they've brought it back... And thank fuck for that, I can't get enough of torches in video games, especially atmospheric fantasy RPG's.

If we go to standards, Geralt will not need a torche to see, in the middle of the night. He use potions to loke better on combat but he can look better than us.

But we are the ones playing. We are not experts detecting tracks and other in the middle of the road and we, at least me, cannot see nothing in the middle of the night, with no light.

So really, I think that Geralt can have so many powers, but we are the ones playing!

Now, those are torches!

Petrochemical industry powered torches, now that's dead medieval.
Wait a second, what burns like that in Gerald's torch? It doesn't seem to produce any smoke, so it's not char or tar (even if it was, are Witchers immune to smoke inhalation?) and it's not red phosphorus cause that'll be a budget overkill. Wonder what's the lore friendly explanation.

Petrochemical industry powered torches, now that's dead medieval.
Wait a second, what burns like that in Gerald's torch? It doesn't seem to produce any smoke, so it's not char or tar (even if it was, are Witchers immune to smoke inhalation?) and it's not red phosphorus cause that'll be a budget overkill. Wonder what's the lore friendly explanation.

Igni.

How did I overlook that...?
Ahem, I mean, how about the other torches, like this one: View attachment 12877

ehem, if is know that not all materials do big smoke. In fact it will be very stupid to put torches in interiors that produce big smoke. It will be imposible to breath air.

In fact, if you worry about it, worry about who is the one that will be turning on torches in the unexplored dungeos of any game. :)

I don't mind the torch itself THAT much but it's really badly used in the Precious Cargo video.

In that video Geralt began to fight against the drowners while he still holds the torch in his left hand which is, well, just stupid because

a) Geralt has an advantage in the dark because he sees better than most enemies in the dark
b) Geralt can of course fight much better with two hands guiding his blade

Imo Geralt should let torches automatically fall once he draws his weapon and engage in combat and not only when he uses his left hand for signs.

Last edited:
I don't mind the torch itself THAT much but it's really badly used in the Precious Cargo video.

In that video Geralt began to fight against the drowners while he still holds the torch in his left hand which is, well, just stupid because

a) Geralt has an advantage in the dark because he sees better than most enemies in the dark
b) Geralt can of course fight much better with two hands guiding his blade

Imo Geralt should let torches automatically fall once he draws his weapon and engage in combat and not only when he uses his left hand for signs.

Maybe it's been the player decision and he likes to fight in lighted environments.... :p One more optional button for add-

OK, seriously, in TW1 I could fight with a torch and a sword at the same time

Last edited:
Maybe it's been the player decision and he likes to fight in lighted environments.... :p One more optional button for add-

OK, seriously, in TW1 I could fight with a torch and a sword at the same time

Haha, the old "I could do that in TW1 or TW2" argument. Just because you could do doesn't mean that it was a good idea back then already... ;)

Haha, the old "I could do that in TW1 or TW2" argument. Just because you could do doesn't mean that it was a good idea back then already... ;)

No, I only said I could do then... I never state if I like it of not. or if I agree or not or if it's better or not ;)

Personally I would actively ensure to sheathe my torch before entering combat, because in my view, as you rightly say, Geralt fights with two hands on his sword and he's either going to see well enough, or be using cat, so either way it's fine.

However I don't see the issue with allowing someone to fight torch in hand if they really want to. Although I do believe there should be some kind of damage penalty for it, which is hard to make out for sure based on the video. His highest hit with the Torch is a 96 (Not counting the critical), but his highest hit with two hands is 112, but of course that could be just down to the randomized numbers and it's not really enough evidence to go off. If he is losing a little bit of damage due to holding the torch, I would say that's not really enough of a disparity, but it's something, and I'm sure Geralt could still fight pretty damn effectively even with just one hand on his blade.

Top Bottom