The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• openworld-places-3.jpg
    openworld-places-3.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 50
Why are so many people so fanatically into the Graphics of an RPG?
I grew up with RPGs that werent even pretty in 1999 and most Gamers today would say they look like utter crap now.
I thought RPGs were about Story,Charakters and Athmopshere... and not about counting every pixel on screen...

I cant deny the game has changed... but i am truly shocked that so many seem to care... it STILL looks stunning overall and even in the parts were it not looks stunning it still looks just as well as GTA5 on PC...

People are ranting about the downgrade.... yet it still will be the prettiest Open world Game by release time. Especially in terms of RPGs there is not even a competitor in terms of how good it looks. and NO a MODDED Skyrim doesnt count. and Vanilla Skyrim cant hold a candle to TW3

I've been watching this thread from some time and trying to avoid it but some of you are getting ridiculously harsh, do you realize that you're bashing a game that has the most ambitious graphics for an open world game to date ? show us a game that has the scope of TW3 and still looks somewhere close to it ?

Now speaking about the downgrade,

1) They were using GTX Titan to review the game (Said by John Mamais in an old interview) - I should add that the optimization work was not started at that time.

2) Now they are using GTX 980 to review the game (As revealed by GameStar and shown in several videos) - I should add that the game is properly optimized now.

Now 980 being better than a Titan, how the hell it is downgraded when requirements actually went up ?

To me some of the old screenshots/videos look better yes but bashing the entire game and/or consoles just by doing comparisons between random screenshots that doesn't even show exact time/place doesn't help your claims, the lighting of the game has been changed which to me looks beautiful sometimes while sometimes not so beautiful but it doesn't change the fact that the game has improved on several other things for example the textures look much better now, the foliage is all dynamic now reacting to weather conditions and your movement, the ground no longer looks flat as it was feared in some of the previous screenshots so please...

And you guys should also watch this video if you haven't already, listen carefully what the guy said in the end (after 12:00) that Youtube videos doesn't do any justice to the ultra settings, it looks representative of low graphics and ultra just looks very beautiful when you see it yourself, so I suggest you guys do yourselves a favor and try the game before raising big claims of downgrade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGgO_kBKRzw&feature=youtu.be

I grew up with RPGs that werent even pretty in 1999 and most Gamers today would say they look like utter crap now.
I thought RPGs were about Story,Charakters and Athmopshere... and not about counting every pixel on screen...

I cant deny the game has changed... but i am truly shocked that so many seem to care... it STILL looks stunning overall and even in the parts were it not looks stunning it still looks just as well as GTA5 on PC...

People are ranting about the downgrade.... yet it still will be the prettiest Open world Game by release time. Especially in terms of RPGs there is not even a competitor in terms of how good it looks. and NO a MODDED Skyrim doesnt count. and Vanilla Skyrim cant hold a candle to TW3

I agree entirely. The perspective of experience with older games should make us appreciate the new graphic capabilities of the technology even more. To me, the graphics look amazingly good, but that is the result of my own experiences. Some people are convinced that their highly subjective, and critical opinions of image-quality are the absolute on the matter.

Last edited:
Look at 4:39 in this video. The pop in is very apparent and distracting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cgCNtO78IQ

Hm, yeah, when you look for it it is very apparent, to me though this kind of effect is like window reflection on a TV screen, if you focus on it you will always see it and it will distract you, but if you don't focus on it, you can make it almost disappear, I never found pop in distracting in any (most) games, I guess I am lucky in that sense.

Don't forget the "upgrades" that has been made and shown to us during development

I for instance started to get really worried when I saw that PAX gameplay, example below.

Then sometime later the latest gameplay trailer hit and I saw this and a drew a BIG sigh of relief.

This was probably a matter of different settings being shown. Still, I Just wanted to put out an example were proving some things shown has actually gotten dramatically better closer to release.

Does anyone remember this screenshot for example?

We could have been way worse off. :)

Because high quality graphics are what have always been advertised. If some people feel that they didn't deliver, then they have a right to be upset.
It looks fine to me, minus the foliage. The foliage really keeps it back from looking like a truly superb game.
inb4 why u complainin about gras still lol
Because grass is a huge part of the visuals. Flat grass/poorly placed grass can make a scene that should look great into a mediocre scene. Especially since this is a 3rd person game. Mistakes with foliage are much harder to hide from a third person perspective.
As far as this being the best looking open world game? I'd disagree once again mainly due to the poor grass. But that's about it really. Everything else looks superb minus some odd color choices for certain assets. I think Far Cry 4 looks superior right now.

Her move looks wierd, indeed. But she is not a normal girl. It must be don't easy to translate in motion her real power.

@EliHarel
You created a monster! Why!? Just why?!?!!

:D :D
A) What the hell, man? Why did you summon me to this place?
B) It's not me. It's this villain.

Alright, seeing that the thread's moved on a bit past the original topic, I guess it's time to repurpose it. Title changed. Carry on :)

Started as a thread about atmosphere in visuals - reached close to 40 pages of mostly calm (occasionally vitriolic) discussion about what atmosphere fits TW's world in a month and a half. Repurposed as a general visual thread with another downgrade discussion in the air - nearly doubled in length in a bit over 24 hours, with mostly vitriolic (occasionally calm) "discussion".

People are allowed to care about different aspects of a game, sure. But I am at a point where I can no longer take this topic seriously, after what happened in 2 threads of hundreds of pages each, and another that is on that route. Why? Our board knows many disagreements - Yen \ Triss, Roche \ Iorveth, Alchemy, RPG mechanics, lore vs. gameplay, etc. And sometimes these disagreements unfortunately reach nasty tones (like my debates with @Scholdarr.452 often do - I'm sorry when that happens). But those are the exceptions, and usually things settle down quickly.

There is one topic that has exclusively and constantly been handled in a terribly toxic way, full of hyperbole, mockery, emotional derailment (and often people who seem to create a user for this sole purpose, only to vanish once the storm in the teacup fades - which makes me even more cynical about the matter) - and that's the downgrade.

It's not that these topics even deteriorate over time towards that ugly mess - they start out like that. It's as if they're unabashedly not about a discussion, just a riot. Remember how the first thread began?
"gg CD Projekt
Way to sell out."

There's nothing wrong with caring about graphics. I care about graphics too, otherwise I wouldn't have spent a lot of money on my new computer (Excited! Arrives next week). And there are those few posts that are reasonable and not out for blood. But they're too rare for my liking and drowned by many other voices that are usually snide, exaggerating things or just searching for a scandal. So far I have very little evidence to tell me that caring about graphics can be done in an interesting way that doesn't amount to... well, this. So at this point I just think it's best to leave these threads to starve instead of feeding them. It's what I happily did before you Mentioned me, @Ljesnjanin *shakes fist* and I'm aware of the irony of feeding by talking about not feeding - which is what I'll continue to do after this post. I just see it as a hopeless cause, and there's nothing that suggests the participants are after an open-minded discussion. So why bother?

Last edited:
High quality graphics for the majority of players? yes.

the highest quality for a little amount of harcore gamers? impossible

Unless CDPR begin a new branch of DeLuxe Premium Game... :p

Ok, let's go back to talk about visual.
I really dislike this blue colour about the night.

It's too bright, it seems to me a daylight masked with blue colour just to simulate the time of day.

I really think that this...

..is much better. It has a black colour, it seems a night fo real.

Ok, let's go back to talk about visual.
I really dislike this blue colour about the night.

It's too bright, it seems to me a daylight masked with blue colour just to simulate the time of day.

I really think that this...

..is much better. It has a black colour, it seems a night fo real.

The blue color in night comes from the moonlight, if there is no moonlight then it will be black otherwise it will have a bluish tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom