The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Retail PC Version FAQ

+

Guest 3125669

Retail for Collectors?

Greetings my fellows,

I was wondering if there would be a way to get a Retail PC version of the Witcher 3 that isn't missing any files? One I can put into my shelf an play again in 5-10 Years without having to hope for the best?

Don't get me Wrong. I do understand you have to keep your game form being released too early. And so far as the rumours I heard go your post release retail copy should be able to run and install from disc. So how can I tell them apart in a Store?

My third and last question would be if the game on disc in Retail will be able to install and run from disc without steam or any other such nonsense like internet connection.

Regards
Michael

Guest 3125669

Thanks a lot for your answer. But I'm afraid I still don't know how I can tell if a particular Retail copy has been produced after launch, and is thus complete. How can I do that?

I'm in no Hurry really to by the game. But I'm not so keen on bying it twice.

@ Dragonbird:
Trouble is: A home burned Disc ist really bad long term Storage... I've had discs give up on me only a few years down the line.
Additionaly. Why would I need the future patches to play the game? Won't it work without them? I hope thats not what your sayin.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel rather sad that after much vacillating, I cancelled my pre-order of the PC version. I want to wait for the second batch. But like many other people I'm not sure how I can tell a disc of the second batch from one of the first, if you don't change your package... lol.

I guess all I can do is to bet my luck, so I'll buy it sometime later anyway.

Also the recent content leak of the XBOX ONE version says something ironic (if this is inappropriate to be mentioned on this forum, moderator, please excuse me for my ignorance and feel free to edit this line out). It seems the best way to prevent any spoiler from coming out earlier than expected, is to add a security check on all the versions, be it PC or consoles. However, I really hope this is the last time that a semblance of DRM is seen in a CDPR's game.

DRM remains DRM no matter how you call it! I really like CDPR and GOG, bought 2 Copys each of the Witcher and Witcher 2. And i will buy The Witcher 3, for console, i yet have to Decide between ONE or PS4.

The matter is, if you Say you hate DRM and it makes no sense in stopping Piracy, why use it anyway? Anything you brought up from the Ground can be Destroyed in the Blink of an Eye. Dosen't matter if you have to Download 100GB or 100KB, DRM stays DRM!

In the case of the W3, DRM would imply something that stops the copying and distribution of the game itself. Nothing is stopping that, there's nothing stopping someone from having a friend at xyz store and ripping a copy either. What's stopping people from playing the game is the lack of a file -- that means it's not DRM but a file lock. That's something fundamentally different then DRM. If it was DRM, then the game files would be encrypted when you downloaded them, they'd be tied to a particular service which would be required to run and decrypt the files.

An example of DRM would be a steam game release. Where you can't do anything with the encrypted files, you can't do anything with the files if you're not logged into your account to verify that you own the game either.

So I'll have two keys for Witcher by the time it comes out, one from my Nvidia GTX 980, and one from the Collector's Edition. Let's say I don't want to sell my Nvidia key, what would be the best way to get the most out of my two keys? I'd prefer to use Steam as my client but I'd like to register through GOG aswell. Do I just have to use the Nvidia key on Steam and the CE key on GoG.com?

So I'll have two keys for Witcher by the time it comes out, one from my Nvidia GTX 980, and one from the Collector's Edition. Let's say I don't want to sell my Nvidia key, what would be the best way to get the most out of my two keys? I'd prefer to use Steam as my client but I'd like to register through GOG aswell. Do I just have to use the Nvidia key on Steam and the CE key on GoG.com?

Both of those keys are for GOG. If you want a Steam version, you would need to buy from Steam.

Ah, well that'll do it then. Thanks for the info!

I guess most people in the same situation just use the Nvidia code for the pre-load and sell the CE code?

Will a cd key be included in the physical copy of the game for PC?

Hi I am debating whether I should buy the game on a digital or physical copy. That is, either through Webhallen or Steam.
The problem is that I do not have DVD reader in my computer so I cannot install it that way and it's a tie between the contents of the digital and physical copy.
So really what I am asking is that: Will there be a CD key for steam included in the physical copy?

Yes, the retail version includes a CD Key, but for GOG, not Steam.
I've moved your post to a thread that gives more details.

Thank you I searched the forums for "CD key" and "Steam key" but didn't find anything. Thank you for redirecting me Dragonbird! :)

---------- Updated at 05:19 PM ----------

Oh I came up with a minor question here. Will the products in the physical copy be available in digital form as well when I register the key? For example will the map be available digitally, and will the soundtrack be available as mp3 on GOG.com?
And a bonus questionif the earlier one seems to be correct. Will the digital copy include things like the artwork pdf which the steam version offers?
Thanks again for the good support!
Love //Jonkastrull!

Last edited:
I'm assuming by redeeming the retail code you get the regular TW3 edition from GOG, with all extras.

I do have a question for the Reds: the "code in the box", is it literal or figurative? That is, will the code be printed and arrive inside the physical box, or does it simply mean each retail copy will be issued a GOG code for TW3? I'd prefer the second so I can start playing ASAP.

Thank you I searched the forums for "CD key" and "Steam key" but didn't find anything. Thank you for redirecting me Dragonbird! :)

---------- Updated at 05:19 PM ----------

Oh I came up with a minor question here. Will the products in the physical copy be available in digital form as well when I register the key? For example will the map be available digitally, and will the soundtrack be available as mp3 on GOG.com?
And a bonus questionif the earlier one seems to be correct. Will the digital copy include things like the artwork pdf which the steam version offers?
Thanks again for the good support!
Love //Jonkastrull!

Why not buy it grom GOG instead of Steam? This may make me sound like a fanboy, but GOG and CDPR are THE gaming company as far as dedication to their fans is concerned. Steam left a bad taste in the mouths of MANY after the stunt they pulled a few weeks ago trying to charge people for mods - (and here's the important part) and keep almost all the money for themselves, leaving the people who actually created the mod with a very small percentage of profit. That alone made me and many others get rid of Steam altogether, as it just seemed too evil to put up with. So, if you do go digital, buy it from GOG!

I'm assuming by redeeming the retail code you get the regular TW3 edition from GOG, with all extras.

I do have a question for the Reds: the "code in the box", is it literal or figurative? That is, will the code be printed and arrive inside the physical box, or does it simply mean each retail copy will be issued a GOG code for TW3? I'd prefer the second so I can start playing ASAP.

Are you asking if the game is actually on disks in the retail copy? If so, then yes. You get 4 game DVDs plus a GOG code.

Are you asking if the game is actually on disks in the retail copy? If so, then yes. You get 4 game DVDs plus a GOG code.

I think that he asks if the code is printed on a paper and put inside the box or issued to the retailer to go alongside with the retail copy. The reason it matters is, because most retailers wont open the box to give You the code via mail so You could play the game as soon as it's available. If the code wouldn't be in the box, the they could send it to Your mail.
I had the same question so I contacted Amazon to see if I could get that code via mail as the CE takes 10 days to arrive. They said that they wont open the box so I guess that answered my question.

I think that he asks if the code is printed on a paper and put inside the box or issued to the retailer to go alongside with the retail copy. The reason it matters is, because most retailers wont open the box to give You the code via mail so You could play the game as soon as it's available. If the code wouldn't be in the box, the they could send it to Your mail.
I had the same question so I contacted Amazon to see if I could get that code via mail as the CE takes 10 days to arrive. They said that they wont open the box so I guess that answered my question.

10 days with free shipping? I just changed my Amazon order from free to 2-day shipping (only 7 bucks) and it says "guaranteed delivery date: Tuesday by 8 pm".

Oh, in that case, I believe the code is inside the case.

What I'm wondering is, since CDPR "decided" (at least communicated) to issue GOG backups to retail customers relatively recently, maybe the codes are electronically sent to us by email from the retailer, like when stores send you game codes accompanying PC hardware. I'm secretly hoping this is the case so I can download and play sooner.

Top Bottom