The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Retail PC Version FAQ

+
Q: Will there be any sort of serial number provided in the retail PC box?
A: The game does not require any serial code to install or play. However, each retail PC copy of Wild Hunt will contain an additional GOG.com game code for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. See below for details.

Q: What is the GOG.com game code found in the box used for?
The game code grants you access to a digital backup copy of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on GOG.com. You will also receive full software support, i.e. future updates, as well as all the additional content like the 16 Free DLCs, the FLAC & MP3 soundtrack, comics, wallpapers, art book, all voice over packs and more.

I just wanted to tell you guys that i love you. :)

I secretly hoped for some thing like this to give me the option of loading that awesom soundtrack on my phone without having to rip the disc from my CE, also i realy appreciate the option of installing the game from my gog account without the need for the CD.
Thank you.
I realy love your work and understandment for use gamers

So I foresighted it very well, the boxed copies lack a file so it won't leak, sorry but Ï call that DRM and it was a big lie that the boxed versions can be installed and played _offline_. Maybe the EE or GOTY version will be but not the initial ones. And as per gog code in the retail boxes, it is gonna work similar to an steam key, you are gonna need it to validate the game and download patches and dlcs from GOG... So a DRM again =) It won't be a good idea to sell the gog code, you may be able to if you wish but not a good idea. I think I guessed it all 2 weeks ago.

The only painful detail is that steam users do get a gog key as well, HEY! ï want an steam key with my gog preorder :/ That is NOT fair!!!! Especially to the ones like me that have the games in both stores, my plan has always been to get W3 at steam in some sale in the future, very cheap, as my main ones are the ones at gog. My steam ones are my backups :p

EDIT: The gog keys from steam games may end being sold, if they are not mandatory, are the 16 free dlcs available at steam or are gonna steam users be forced to get them at gog? They wont be happy...

EDIT2: Not clear if the steam version has or not a gog key....

As has already been discussed, boxed versions created after release will have the file within. so no, boxed/retail versions are still DRM-free with the small exception of pre-orders. People won't have to wait for GOTY editions.

GOG distributions are extremely different than Steam. For one: they are not DRM protected. Nothing prevents you from transferring/copying the full game with all expansions and patches between computers, whereas Steam would allow only for computers with Steam AND your account on them. Think whatever you want, but GOG key is the least possible "DRM" (if it can even be considered such). I will even go so far as to say that GOG and On-Disk version will be nearly identical (apart from the patches, updates and expansions)

Q: Do I need Internet access to install the retail PC version of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt?
A: The initial, pre-premiere retail PC batch of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt needs to download a file from our servers to allow play. This file will either be downloaded automatically during installation process or you can choose to download it manually from a dedicated website. Since we have no DRM in the game, this is a security measure we needed to incorporate so the game doesn’t leak during the production process. No worries, the file will not be big. Copies of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt produced after launch will not contain this security feature.

This is not a problem for me. It's a very soft and understanable measure to protect your product. But in fact it's DRM. You said - again and again - that The WItcher 3 does not have any DRM. You said it here again, in the same paragraph you said it has DRM. I understand this. That's part of your "good guy"-PR, but it's simply not true.

Offline installation isn't prossible. Of course you can copy the file from whereever but that doesn't change anything. You have to improvise to start the game if you don't have internet access.

Last edited:
@Delacroix2 To be fair though, that small file is only needed in the batch that's been produced "before" the release.The copies that are produced afterwards will not need that file.

@Delacroix2 To be fair though, that small file is only needed in the batch that's been produced "before" the release.The copies that are produced afterwards will not need that file.

Yes. But if you want to play it on release day, you have to use this file. And who doesn't want to play this great game as fast as possible? ;)

The other thing is: the discs produced after launch need time to arrive in stores. So it's unclear when you'll be able to play without that DRM. And I guess the retailers won't exchange the discs. So you don't know when and where you'll get a version with (online-)acitivation or without. Because, if I am right, the file is still missing on the pre-launch-discs. So if you buy one of this dics, weeks or months after launch, you'll still have to activate it.

Again: it doesn't matter for me and I am fine with that. But I am not fine with the "good guy"-PR which is not as true as it should be in some points.

I don't mind small file installation on release day but you guys really make sure that your servers can handle it. Size of that file won't matter if noone can download it. If the file is really seperate I'm sure some good guy gonna upload it to net though...
If he/she can leave the game :p

(just merged with my Gog account and my old info is gone :/ )

I don't really like that file (Some may call pseudo-DRM) on the physical copy. What about if you uninstall your first run copy and want to reinstall and happen not to have internet? You have to connect to download that file every time you want to reinstall your first run copy in the future if you don't have that special file backed up? If your servers go down can first run copies without the file never be installed again? I'd imagine people can find a public internet place and download it onto a USB drive. Still though, It's really odd to me.

Are consoles also going to have this file thing? Because most games leak on consoles first from what I've seen. Or are you more worried about piracy related leaks and not story/gameplay leaks?

Last edited:
I don't really like that file (Some may call pseudo-DRM) on the physical copy. What about if you uninstall your first run copy and want to reinstall and happen not to have internet? You have to connect to download that file every time you want to reinstall your first run copy in the future if you don't have that special file backed up?

What would you do if one of your disks had a scratch on it, or your DVD drive stopped working? There's a lot of precautions that people need to take in everyday life, and it's easy enough to keep a backup. I'd have thought that PC users, especially if they didn't have access to internet backup resources, would be well aware of the need to keep copies of anything important.

What would you do if one of your disks had a scratch on it, or your DVD drive stopped working? There's a lot of precautions that people need to take in everyday life, and it's easy enough to keep a backup. I'd have thought that PC users, especially if they didn't have access to internet backup resources, would be well aware of the need to keep copies of anything important.
It's easy enough to keep a back up, but what if you forget about the file or your drives get corrupted? Maybe you're without internet access at the time and want to play your game. Those that don't have internet probably won't be aware of this file thing. They may have read in a magazine or been told in store that the game is DRM free and no internet required and they'll go buy a copy on release, go home, open it, and find they do need internet and then can't return it because it's opened.

I really hope CDPR has notices on the boxes about needing online for installation. Yeah, they can probably find somewhere public with internet but why should they have to? Chances are PS4 and Xbox copies will be sold early by an employee by mistake or taken by employees and the story and further gameplay details will leak that way. Do consoles also have a block in place to prevent leaks? If not why make the physical PC release have it? I'd find this less odd if the console version is confirmed to have the same thing.

@Marcin Momot can you confirm the console versions have a similar leak prevention? If someone puts a copy of The Witcher 3 into their PS4/Xbox One before release date can they play the game? Accidents and bad things do happen with console games too. Amazon ships stuff early, stores sell copies early, employees take copies home when they shouldn't be. Will consoles have leak prevention in the event someone gets a copy before release on Xbox One or PS4?

Also, copies made after launch won't have this issue, but how do you know if you're getting left over stock from release or a new production release? Even people who wait for new production units may run into a launch release that lacks offline installation ability

Last edited:
DRM remains DRM no matter how you call it! I really like CDPR and GOG, bought 2 Copys each of the Witcher and Witcher 2. And i will buy The Witcher 3, for console, i yet have to Decide between ONE or PS4.

The matter is, if you Say you hate DRM and it makes no sense in stopping Piracy, why use it anyway? Anything you brought up from the Ground can be Destroyed in the Blink of an Eye. Dosen't matter if you have to Download 100GB or 100KB, DRM stays DRM!

As has already been discussed, boxed versions created after release will have the file within. so no, boxed/retail versions are still DRM-free with the small exception of pre-orders. People won't have to wait for GOTY editions.

GOG distributions are extremely different than Steam. For one: they are not DRM protected. Nothing prevents you from transferring/copying the full game with all expansions and patches between computers, whereas Steam would allow only for computers with Steam AND your account on them. Think whatever you want, but GOG key is the least possible "DRM" (if it can even be considered such). I will even go so far as to say that GOG and On-Disk version will be nearly identical (apart from the patches, updates and expansions)

Problem is that you won't know what boxed version it is when you buy it until they re-label them as EE or GOTYs ;)

What I meant is that having to download a file from internet makes the disks incomplete, thus not install&play disks, you can't use them on an offline computer, you cant copy the disks to a hard drive and install from there. And anything that 'protects' a game is drm, drm is digital rights management, that missing file is managing your digital right on the dvds to play them wherever, whenever and however you want, you need internet, that is a requeriment that protects the game, a drm.

Besides when I asked for this days ago a moderator answered me telling that if they did that then that would be drm, so here it is, I was right, drm-ed disks, even if it is only the first batch.

And I've been a gog user for 5 years already, I DO know why it is cool and why I DO prefer it, no need to tell me.

Besides when I asked for this days ago a moderator answered me telling that if they did that then that would be drm, so here it is, I was right, drm-ed disks, even if it is only the first batch.

That was me, I believe? And it was in reply to a question where you said "my guess is that you are gonna need to activate them at gog". You are still not required to activate at GOG.

What I meant is that having to download a file from internet makes the disks incomplete, thus not install&play disks, you can't use them on an offline computer, you cant copy the disks to a hard drive and install from there. And anything that 'protects' a game is drm, drm is digital rights management, that missing file is managing your digital right on the dvds to play them wherever, whenever and however you want, you need internet, that is a requeriment that protects the game, a drm.

You can still copy the disks to a hard drive and install from there, you can still play wherever, whenever and however you want, without internet, as long as you've already downloaded the extra file at some point in the past. You may consider that final proviso to still to be a form of DRM, that's your privilege, but it doesn't require internet every time you play, or at the time of installation.

I agree with your concerns about the boxed version labelling. I don't like the idea that in five years' time someone is going to buy the box from old stock somewhere, or second-hand, and find it's missing the extra file.

That was me, I believe? And it was in reply to a question where you said "my guess is that you are gonna need to activate them at gog". You are still not required to activate at GOG.

Most probably yes, you replied to my whole post, I said it would need to activate or it would come with a missing file. Actually it is both, because for the patches & dlcs you need to register the key at gog ;) That second part at least is optional.

And sure thing that if you copy the disks to a hard disk it would be extra silly not to copy the missing file as well, but the whole thing is more complex that it was expected to be for those who really believed in the drm free part, sorry, but to me this makes me feel that the disks are not valuable enough, incomplete :( nobody likes incomplete stuff.

For a boxed versions it is more reliable to wait for new boxed versions, stocks may last really long sometimes.

Happier than ever with my gog preorder now, but I'm still pissed off about how things ended being even if I feared it, I was expecting it even if I didn't want it to happen... actually I'm pissed off at them not stating these facts earlier... not at the facts themselves, I understand why they have to do it this way.. .

Most probably yes, you replied to my whole post, I said it would need to activate or it would come with a missing file. Actually it is both, because for the patches & dlcs you need to register the key at gog ;) That second part at least is optional.

OK, so that was a misunderstanding. I thought then, and again when I checked back tonight, that you were taking the "activation at GOG" as co-existing with the "download a file", not two different options.

On the registering at GOG for patches, my view is that as soon as someone is saying "I want the patches and DLCs, so I'm prepared to register", that initial download stops being especially relevant. It's just another patch. If the patches are large, and not for game-breaking bugs (here's hoping ;) ), then I also hope that you get the option of sticking with the original OR getting consolidated patches that include both the initial file and the actual patch.

What if I already have it on GOG.com but I planned to use the retail copy because my bad internet connection, and the GOG.com copy is purely for respect the developers (well, if I able to pre-load soon this question is pointless), can I still activate it? Or it will see on my profile so I don't need to use my code?

>Short, one time internet activation, necessary to prevent leaks, just like in Witcher 2
>Oh noes, it's obtrusive DRM

@Sagitarii If consoles don't also have it then why should PC? So far, we haven't heard that initial console versions have anything like this. I'm betting like usual the console version will be the first to leak gameplay and story details unless they also have this required download. As for being related to piracy leaks and not game detail leaks, I think everyone knows that worse things than this haven't stopped piracy.

It doesn't seem like a one time thing either. It sounds like if you have an initial run release then whenever you want to reinstall you will have to make sure to have this file backed up or to have internet. If you don't then you can't use the game you paid for even after X number of years. It sounds like data that is required to play but isn't on the initial runs discs. As for waiting to get a run that has it on the disc, how do you know if you're getting left over launch stock or a new production run? Unless they label it differently, even then if you order online you can't be sure.

Another issue is people without internet probably wouldn't have heard about this and will go to buy the game expecting DRM free from reading something printed or store employees telling them. They'll buy it and learn they need internet and then can't return it. Unless CDPR marks on the box that it requires an internet connection to download a file to play the game. I hope they do so for those consumers who are unaware of this.

I'd really like the Reds to say if the console versions also have this. I think it's important for console buyers to know if they will require this too.

Last edited:
I'd really like the Reds to say if the console versions also have this. I think it's important for console buyers to know if they will require this too.

How does it usually work on consoles?

I've no idea whether, or how, the console version is protected, nor do I know how console games are usually protected. But I would like to highlight that CDPR have never said that console versions were DRM-free. So yes, there may be something to stop console-users playing the game before the official launch.

How does it usually work on consoles?

I've no idea whether, or how, the console version is protected, nor do I know how console games are usually protected. But I would like to highlight that CDPR have never said that console versions were DRM-free. So yes, there may be something to stop console-users playing the game before the official launch.
I've never heard of a single player game that required a day one patch to even be able to play on a console, that's why I want to know about this one. I more so ask this not because of DRM free claims, but because of leak prevention claims. If someone gets a hold of a retail copy of The Witcher 3 before release on Xbox One/PS4 , and it doesn't have the same thing as the PC version does to prevent leaks then what is the point? Either make all of them have this file requirement or make none of them have it.

As for piracy leaks, CDPR themselves said "Of course there will be people pirating games, but they wouldn’t buy those games any way, so they’re not your target audience. Let’s focus on real gamers, respect them and they will give it back." http://truepcgaming.com/2011/09/20/relive-the-classics-drm-free-gog-com-interview/

They know that this file requirement on PC won't halt pirates at all. So I'd assume their concern is plot/gameplay leaks and not piracy leaks. If it is plot/detail leaks then it only makes sense to have this file requirement on console as well as PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom