Preorder or not?

+
Preorder or not?

After preordering many games, I decided last year to no longer preorder and wait a week or two then purchase. However, I am really tempted to break that rule for TW3. Do you guys think its worth it?

It's not just about the game not being good, I am sure TW3 is going to be great. However, being a PC gamer, PC releases always have issues. Some netcode, connectivity, port or whatever issue. It usually turns out to cause a delay any ways. Like recently the MKX release, the first week you couldn't even launch the game and online play was down, for PC. Worked fine on other platforms.

PC always gets the short end. Think an exception should be made?

My rules regarding pre-order

1. Developer must "earn" my pre-order (I must have really loved their previous game)
2. Developer must maintain my trust to receive future pre-orders.
3. Any disappointment negates pre-order on next game from the developer.

Here are 2 examples for me:
1. I did not pre-order The Witcher 1. I had never heard of CDPR or the game until after it was out anyway. I bought it later and loved it.
2. Pre-ordered W2 and loved it. Pre-ordered W3.
3. we'll see if W3 holds up, and if so I'll pre-order Cyberpunk 2077.

1. I broke rule 1 and pre-ordered Deus Ex: Human Revolution even though it was the developer's first game. Since I loved it, I pre-ordered their next game: Thief.
2. Thief came out and I found it disappointing.
3. I'm not pre-ordering Deus Ex: Mankind Devided.

its up to you. I don't normally pre order but i realised a week ago i had all the knowledge i was going to get on the subject I would have gotten a week after pre-order because I only really follow reviewers that have similar tastes vs the masses, so I pre-ordered. I knew I would buy the game based on said information.

If you are wary do what CDPR said don't pre-order wait. They are not really incentivising for pre-orders as there is no pre-order bonus item because they don't believe in presuring consumers to pre-order.

The last game I preordered was Rome TW 2, (we all know how that turned out). I said to myself never preorder again, but couldn't help myself with this game.

If you are buying digitally then yes I would, you get to preload it that way.

If launch performance issue is what concerns you, many steamers have the game running just fine. The game is well optimized on both AMD and Nvidia cards (you can check performance reviews). Driver support will come on following week but the gain is negligible IMO.

The game has 7 100s and the lowest scores are 80s regarding the ps4 reviews. A couple of the 80s seem like click bate to me. Low scores so people will click them more and 2 were political commentary more than what I consider a game review. There is tons of online footage to see. If the reviews and footage match to the type of games you like then pre-ordering might be for you.

My experience owning The Witcher 1 and 2 on launch date is that any issues and bugs that make it out will be fixed fairly quickly and both of the other games later got enhanced editions that were free to original game owners, I am expecting the same this time around if an enhanced version happens.

I only pre-order games which have captivated my interest through playing previous entries and through hugely enjoying them ( I should emphasize HUGELY ENJOY, for example i like the Total War series, i own a few and the last was Shogun 2 but i don't like it enough to pre-order future titles. A new Total War doesn't get me as excited as say a new Zelda or the new Witcher).

Examples i pre-ordered this year: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Grand Theft Auto V
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

I never pre-order a title that i have no prior experience with and will usually wait for reviews afterwards. Depending on how interested i am i may buy it soon after or wait until it is super cheap, even if that may be a couple of years later.
I don't ask other people whether i should pre-order something because i make my own decisions when it comes to my tastes in games, other people differ to me and i know what i like. I will have prior experience with the products and i know i will enjoy it, however should that product let me down i may give futures titles a wide berth (Crysis series for example).

So to answer your question NarutovsWitcher, for me it depends on whether you played the first and second Witcher games, whether you enjoyed them enough that you want it as soon as possible and that you have the money. If on the other hand, you have never played the games, have no prior experience and are interested because of media and friend hype, i would give it a week.
If a friend is purchasing the title have a go with them.
Be careful with reviews as they can be biased and if your decision is to be made with forum posts and reviews, take a lot of them in from all walks of life and then take the median from that. It should be close to where you want to go.

The reason i am pre-ordering The Witcher 3 is that i have been thoroughly pleased with the physical purchases, with full colour guides, manuals and extras. I find that each game has pushed the boundaries of video games for me in some technical/visual way. I find the games super fun and that i wish to find out more of the saga that is Geralt of Rivia in Andrzej Sapkowski's world through CDPR's interpretation.

Hope that helps you decide.

CDPR have always said that if you are unsure don't pre-order, wait for release and reviews.

The problem with pre-orders with a lot of games is that nobody has seen the game until its release date and it's too late. CDPR have been good in putting it in people's hands early and letting them post footage and talk about it. Right now plenty have played it and reviews are out. There are lots of discussions regarding the game's design and graphics.

However the PC version is still a bit of a question mark. The problem with "console ports" of other games is that the PC versions tend to be worse than the consoles - less stable and worse graphics and poorly designed UI for PC users. I don't believe this is the case with TW3. The PC version should be the definitive version of the game. But that isn't 100% until we get our hands on it. So I would say wait if you are unsure.

IMO, if you want to see the gameplay first hand then I'd suggest wait for it to be released in stores and test drive a console display demo. Then know that the PC version is better than that (assuming you're specced up for it).

Last edited:
This will be my first Witcher game.

Yes, the game has many perfect review scores (100s/10s), which is something I haven't seen in a very long time. So I think to myself, what else could improve on the game in a week or two? Also, the reason I like playing a game from the beginning is to experience everything with everyone else. Rather than to have cheats and spoilers hit youtube.

With that being said, the only thing that stops me is the "PC port". So with that being said, I think I will wait 1 week, hopefully there are no issues. And, I guess I will avoid the Twitch streams and Youtube videos. Thanks.

With that being said, the only thing that stops me is the "PC port".

Then again it’s a game that targets multiple platforms, not a port. PC even has 2K textures exclusively for instance, this was confirmed by a dev in the modding thread. A “port” is when you take a game that was originally made specially for one platform and make it run on another.

Top Bottom