Votes: 270 26.2%
  • I need to see it in action to be sure

Votes: 294 28.6%
  • I prefer the system of TW1

Votes: 363 35.3%
  • I prefer the system of TW2

Votes: 104 10.1%

• Total voters
Anyone know where we can see the quantity of alcohol we have available? I keep picking it here and there, but can't find where the hell on my inventory the alcohol is. I feel like I have a lot of it, but still don't know much. I even wonder if it's infinite... like, you get one and it lasts forever, even if you keep getting more.

I'm so happy bombs are also refilled with alcohol. I'm using alchemy quite a lot. Their system really works!

The new system works finde. Yes, it isn't as realistic, as the old one (and as someone has pointed out: You CAN actually emulate the old system, if you want to), but now I don't have to forgo using Alchemy most of the time, just because I don't want to farm ingredients as if I would play WoW.

You can also upgrade your potions multiple times. Then there are singe-brew potions and possibly making your own alcohol?

No interest with the current system.
Can't create potions by cascad and ressources have no interest when you have create all potion once time :S

Last edited:
I think...maybe some books with hints to "where to find x ingredients" would be really welcome. Because there are a lot of "missing ingredients" but not a clue to where find them.
And the bestiary should has informations about the loot from a certain monster.

I think it was mistake on design decision part. New alchemy system is not realistic and also not interesting from gameplay perspective. Many ingerdients become completely useless after you made potions based on them.

I think it was mistake on design decision part. New alchemy system is not realistic and also not interesting from gameplay perspective. Many ingerdients become completely useless after you made potions based on them.
This is one of the points. Do you really wanna spend your precious gaming time dropping from your horse to clear every field of herbs as you pass buy? Not only do I enjoy the improved pace, I also enjoy estimating whether or not I need to gather something. I look at the ingridient from a distance and judge if it's new, if I have few of it, or if I already have a lot and no longer need it. It actually takes more wit than just grabbing everything like a maniac.

---------- Updated at 05:26 PM ----------

Buy them at herbalist..
Indeed. Intially I thought the alchemy proggression had a very slow start, but herbalists are your friends, specially that gorgeous curly-haired woman in the first town.

---------- Updated at 05:28 PM ----------

And sorry for asking again, but... can anyone see alcohest in your inventory?

And does rebrewing potions actually consume alcohol, take from your inventory?

What does 'potion overdose threshold' mean? It's the first skill in alchemy under Brewing. I assume it's raises the toxicity limit for when you start getting negative effects from your toxicity levels..? It isn't explained anywhere.

And does rebrewing potions actually consume alcohol, take from your inventory?
In case you're referring to the traditional way of rebrewing potions - of course, it works just like brewing the potion for the first time. For some odd reason it only accepts Dwarven Spirit as the alcohol base (at least for the standard versions), which I guess could be considered a downside. But much like herbs and other ingredients (creature remains) you're able to pick up Dwarven Spirit from basically everywhere. All innkeepers I have run into until now had it for sale as well.

The only 'crucial' ingredient I'm short of since after arriving in Velen is Arachas Venom for Tawny Owl but I'm just going with it as an additional temporary challenge on top of 'Death March'. It's not like Tawny Owl is an absolute must-have like Swallow anyway, as far as I'm concerned.

If I'm not going to come by an arachas to slay any time soon, I'm sure I'll get the opportunity to just buy some venom from an alchemist along the way to Novigrad or Oxenfurt, where I'm certain someone will have this in stock.

Alchemy is the only thing that disappointed me so far in TW3.

I mean yeah, it works here and there. But there are several problems. First of course the problem with the ingredient gathering being unnecessary which ruins immersion and preparation and everything but that is not the only problem.

The main problem I have is the sheer insignificance of potions - especially on higher difficulties - because they have such a terribly short duration and toxicity has also a very short duration. Toxicity never reaches high points for me so far and especially potions like Tawny Owl are almost useless because their duration is so short that they have almost no impact on the situation whatsoever. I might get 1 or 2 more sign uses out of T.O. but that's about it before the potion effect expires again. Idk.....

I dont mind it, but i do wish....very much, that the items had more charges without having to get the skills.

In case you're referring to the traditional way of rebrewing potions - of course, it works just like brewing the potion for the first time. For some odd reason it only accepts Dwarven Spirit as the alcohol base (at least for the standard versions), which I guess could be considered a downside.
Actually it seems to automatically use the cheapest strong alcohol you have. The cheapest I found was makanamanamanam-something (20 coins). Alcohest is a little more costly, but also more common. Dwarven Spirit is the next. I went through somewhat of a crisis in alchemy, got to a point where I have little alcohol and went around trying to buy it. But later I found a lot of it and now I'm cool.

There is one kind of place that usually has lots of alcohol:

Bandit Camps

Anyways... now I'm worried about a possible bug. Many times I meditate with full alchemy stuff (hadn't spent anything) and still an alcohol is used to "refill" my full stuff. Is this happening to anyone else?

And a little tip regarding alchemists:

When you see recipes, buy them, unless you're really short on money. Leaving them for later can be a pain, because you might need to remember which alchemist had which recipes to sell. And this is a real haggle, specially if you got the lack of icons bug that I got.

---------- Updated at 05:50 PM ----------

I dont mind it, but i do wish....very much, that the items had more charges without having to get the skills.
Getting access to new bombs will essentially giving you more bombs, not just more options. If you only a have a couple of 2-charged-bombs, you have 4 bombs before refill. If you unlock one more 2-charged-bomb, then you got 6 before refill. When I run out of some kinds of bombs, I tend use the other kinds, before I refill. It's a lot of fun - a really clever way to encourage variety, by the devs. You can actually even pause it during combat to swap it.

Anyways... now I'm worried about a possible bug. Many times I meditate with full alchemy stuff (hadn't spent anything) and still an alcohol is used to "refill" my full stuff. Is this happening to anyone else?
Can't say I encountered this so far. But then again I never meditate or had to meditate anyway. And when I have to at some point I'll make damn sure that all of my potions, bombs and whatnot are fully charged to prevent anything of this sort from happening.

Are you sure that ALL of your alchemy-related stuff wasn't short of any charges or something? Bombs for example now come in pairs as well and if one pack was 1/2 I guess the auto-refill during meditation would kick in as well. Can't say for sure though.

And is there any valid reason why oils don't have charges as well? Those you actually brew one time and then they last until the end of days. So stupid.
At least you can throw them away too once you applied them to your sword. And the only change regarding oils I can definitely get behind is that the effect is now limited to a certain amount of strikes rather than duration. Only makes sense that it would wear off the longer you use the blade to cut through and chop up all sorts of things.

Last edited:
I've changed my vote from 'I need to see it in action to be sure' to 'Yes'.
Simply put, for the most part, I didn't even bother with potions in TW2 that much. I used Cat, Swallow and maybe Rook when I had them. In this game, having to gather the ingredients every single time when I want to use a potion would be an absolute chore for me. I find myself actually using all of my stuff every time, including oils, bombs, and potions, chosing the best possible ones for each bigger encounter. It's way more fun this way. The world is just so huge, and there are so many other - much worthier - things to do than collecting herbs all the time.

All in all, I think CDPR has made a right decision here. And I don't even know how exactly the 'upgrading potions' system works yet, so it will only get better in my eyes I guess. One thing that's not perfect though: Some potions should last a bit longer; when fighting tougher foes, I often feel like the effect wears off before I even get to attack the monster. Maybe I just suck at the combat... :p

Last edited:
Coming from someone who has no previous witcher experience (but played many mmorpgs/rpgs) this my opinion:

I find this system to be really nice. The fact you dont have to go hunting for a potion after you used it maybe a week ago with a monster is great. I like the fact that you only have to make potions/oils/deconctions ONCE and theyre there for you to refill and not have to go individually search for them/make them everytime need them again. that would require you to go and gather more herbs and what not.

i feel its more battle oriented. they kept it from being too tedious to use. ive always strayed away from alchemy in most rpgs for the fact that you always had to be on a mission finding resources to make the potions. now im actually enjoying it greatly!

for example: i just fought some drowners by a coast so i applied the necro oil. 2 minutes later i see a werewolf and i already know my oil is there ready to be used. i see it as he has his horse by his side all the time so he has them all bagged up.

i like it so much that its actually become really fun to go and find all the recipes. theyre kinda like side quests since i know its only a one time search.

Last edited:
The current systems i not terrible, its ok, but i would prefer it much more if we had an OPTION that required us to manually re-make potions, bombs and oils each time. Like in The Witcher 1.

Also potions should have a little longer duration by default, right now they run out before we can even use them.

Last edited:
Is anyone having a problem by which they can't create potions as they have picked up the enhanced version, and in order to create the enhanced version you need the original? There is no way of creating the original as the enhanced schematic has displaced it.

Some help would be appreciated,

Thanks

Well... after playing TW3, the alchemy is OK .... read this CDPR? Its just OK nothing more :(
Please bring back optional TW1 brewing system.

And with that... please give us some "sub" invetory screens... THIS inventory is just a mess.

Herb Bag, Raw Material Bag, such things would be also very nice
Monsterstuff bag

Top Bottom