Game freezing after around 15 minutes / sound keeps playing

+
Same thing for me. It happens around after 5-10 mins of gameplay.

Core i5 3560
GTX 660ti
Win7.1 64x
8gb RAM

I took the day off for this, but the bug made the game unplayable. At least I got other (probably more important) things done.

Same issue. I'm under the impression it might be UI related, browsing inventory/menu or popping UI on screen (like looting).

Right now with crashes every 5-10 mns the game is just plain unplayable. It's a huge disappointment.

Same here - game randomly locks up or completely closes to the desktop, usually 15 minutes or so getting in. As another poster said, if you enable full screen and turn the settings down to high on everything (or lower), it seems to help, but it will still eventually freeze.

I'm running Intel core i-5 3330, 8GB RAM, GTX 960 - I can run everything in ultra and all post processing effects enabled at a mostly smooth 30 FPS (locked the frame rate to this, as the game seems to run better at this rate). Currently setting are down to high, which again helps the game to run a bit longer before crashing. Please help CDPR!

EDIT: Running Windows 7 x64

Last edited:
This! I feel like they are not responding to any problem. I see a lot of people having crashes and they are not saying anything. I'm quite dissapointed in CDPR

Similar problem random when this happens i think, but no warnings or anything my gtx 980 sli go into loud fanmode then a blackscreen then i alt tab to desktop then the game exit itself, first time tho, i played this game for hours and hours, just reported this, i was not in the inventory btw, i was in the nifgaard camp not that that make a difference.

Last edited:
Same system as topic starter except 1x 980.

Happend first time right in the first fight scene with vesemir against the ghouls.

After that only one more time in the menu.
Had to reboot because alt tabbing caused the witcher gamescreen to sticky itself or overlay across the desktop screen so i couldnt select anything in the taskmanager.

After that reboot though ive had 0 problems oddly enough.
Oh and i dont played bordered, but fullscreen.

Fps is always constant or very high max 60 with vsync on ofcourse.
Gpu and cpu are not overheating, infact gpu on ultra with hairworks hovers around 55 to maybe 58C max.
Thats downright cold for a videocard so i dont think thats it.

got the same problem after 10-15 min gameplay the game freezes and the sound countinues. When i check the ebent log i got every freeze a driver reset...

All other Games works fine.

I7 2600k
MSI GTX 970 Gaming
8 GB Ram
Win 7

Guys pls try without motion blur in post prosesing. That work for me.
I try with different settings for hours. Deactivating the motion blur didn`t helped me.

It seems that the graphic card is overheating by itself. This was already a issue with many games in the past and should be solved by a new patch/graphic treiber

I was playing with high settings, decided to try ultra and saw this same behavior i.e. the screen goes black.
It does seem to be something to do with the video card going from high usage, to low (i.e. a video cutscene) .

My computer specs are 4590 & gtx970. Highest gpu temperature was 70 degrees (mostly it's in 50s) and the blackscreen/crash does not occur while the gpu is stressed only later on for some reason.

Mine only crash figthing. No in menús or cut scenes. I cant pass the tutorial with vesemir 3 hard blows and crash. Without motion blur no more crash. Hope it helps

It does seem to be something to do with the video card going from high usage, to low (i.e. a video cutscene) .

I think you may be on to something here, that seems to be consistent with what I've been experiencing. The motion blur thing that others report may be a different (but possibly related) issue.

i5-2500K, GTX 770, 16GB RAM, Win8.1

Happened to me a couple of times now. First time was whilst walking around White Orchard, I had the MSI afterburner on screen display running at the time and noticed my CPU spiked to 100% usage on all cores when it happened. It also locked my PC up and I had to turn it off and on.
Second time was at the Inn at White Orchard whilst talking to the bar maid. CPU usage was around 70-80% on this occasion though. This time I was able to close the game through task manager.

My PC specs

2500k stock
970 stock
8gb RAM
Windows 10 x64 with the Nvidia WHQL Windows 10 drivers 352.84

Game settings

Post Processing

http://imgur.com/BHF4BdC
http://imgur.com/KzP4MkO
http://imgur.com/HfptCev

Graphics Settings

http://imgur.com/AE8yw52
http://imgur.com/SOHXnvb
http://imgur.com/4yYnI3Q

Last edited:
A possible solution that others have tried is to turn Vsync off and uncap your FPS. People over at Gog have reported that this stopped their random freezes.

Same system as topic starter except 1x 980.

Happend first time right in the first fight scene with vesemir against the ghouls.

After that only one more time in the menu.
Had to reboot because alt tabbing caused the witcher gamescreen to sticky itself or overlay across the desktop screen so i couldnt select anything in the taskmanager.

After that reboot though ive had 0 problems oddly enough.
Oh and i dont played bordered, but fullscreen.

Fps is always constant or very high max 60 with vsync on ofcourse.
Gpu and cpu are not overheating, infact gpu on ultra with hairworks hovers around 55 to maybe 58C max.
Thats downright cold for a videocard so i dont think thats it.

My video card gets pushed to 80c at full load during intense stuff going on (during cut scenes its down to around 40-45cc). I'm running a GTX 960 in an Alienware X51, so that smaller case is the reason why. I have MSI Afterburner running the video fan at 70%, so that helps. But even 80c should be ok to play on for a few hours, at least once the crashing issues get resolved. I love the game so far, of what I've been able to play at least.

A possible solution that others have tried is to turn Vsync off and uncap your FPS. People over at Gog have reported that this stopped their random freezes.

I already have Vsync turned off but my FPS is capped at 60. I'll try uncapping it and see if it fixes it :)

Top Bottom