Game freezing after around 15 minutes / sound keeps playing

+
Game freezing after around 15 minutes / sound keeps playing

Hi,
I just started the Witcher 3 and the game keeps freezing after around 15 minutes of playing. (The game sound keeps playing)

The only thing I can do is going back to desktop and close the game in the task manager.

My system:
Intel i7 5820k
16GB DDR4
GTX 980 SLI
Win 7 64 Bit

I have installed the latest Nvidia Driver already of course!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fix for me:

-Changed borderless mode to fullscreen
-Changed FPS Limit to "uncapped"

Last edited:
I have the exact same problem - it freezes every.. 20-30 minutes for me?

the video freezes, but the sound, the conversation, etc. continues. I alt-tab out, and close the program through task manager, and restart. until it crashes again in 30 mins.

I have a similar setup - i5-4670k; 16gb ddr4, gtx980, win 7 64 bit.

Same here.
The sound keeps playing and I seem to be able to still control Geralt (judging by the noises).
With this, I haven't made it past the sword tutorial yet.

Observations:
- In borderless window mode, the game closes itself when I try to ALT+TAB out of it,
- In fullscreen mode, I have to close it via the task manager

I tried different driver versions (with DDU uninstalls between them) including the latest stable and the W3 NVidia driver, all the same result.

My setup is different, GTX 680 and Win 8.1 x64. Judging by this and all the other postings around here, it can hardly be a problem based on certain hardware :/

Last edited:
From my own experience: It seems to mostly occur when in menus. Anyone else notice the same?

Same thing happening over here. The game crashes during cutscenes. The image freezes, but the sound (and also controls) resume.
At this point it happens every few minutes, the game is just unplayable.

My setup: GTX770, i5 2500k, Win 8.1 64x, 8GB RAM, latest NVIDIA driver

The game crashes during cutscenes. The image freezes.
the game is just unplayable.

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 8GB Ram, Win 7 x64

Last edited:
Same here.
The sound keeps playing and I seem to be able to still control Geralt (judging by the noises).
With this, I haven't made it past the sword tutorial yet.

Observations:
- In borderless window mode, the game closes itself when I try to ALT+TAB out of it,
- In fullscreen mode, I have to close it via the task manager

I tried different driver versions (with DDU uninstalls between them) including the latest stable and the W3 NVidia driver, all the same result.

My setup is different, GTX 680 and Win 8.1 x64. Judging by this and all the other postings around here, it can hardly be a problem based on certain hardware :/

It is exactly the same for me. I have also a gtx680 and win8.1 64bit and the game crashes constantly. It is unplayable right now and with older drivers it gets even worse.

Have the same problem.

Happens in cutscenes and in menues.

I have:
Windows 7 x64
Intel i7 4790 4.00GHz
16Gb Ram
Geforce GTX 970 latest drivers (352.86) installed on the 18.5

Running through Steam

Last edited:
Has somebody from CD PROJEKT RED addressed any bug? I don't see any "RED" icon in tech support topics.
I have the same issue: gtx970 - new driver, i5 2400 3.1 GHz, 8gb ram, win7 64bit.

Same problem, it seems to lengthen the time between freezes if you play in Fullwindow mode. Hope they fix it soon.

Yea same problem here, tried different drivers, the latest (352.86) and the gta 5 driver before, both doesnt really fix it, but in highest settings the game crashes earlier than in high settings, pic is freezing but sound goes on, i can move my character and do stuff, i can hear it, game crashed in fights, cutscenes, menu/inventory ... once or twice it actually freezed instantly on startup

I7 4790k, 8GB DDR3, Windforce 780TI, MSI Z97 Gaming 5, Win 8.1 64 Bit

Last edited:
Top Bottom